What i really hated about most of the interviews he did - There wasn't any mention of the music

analogue

Proud Member
Every once in awhile there maybe the odd question here or there but for the most part in interviews there was hardly any mention of the music and how Mike created it. If i ever had the chance to interview him i'd try and ask as many questions about his creative process as i can like where did he come up with the idea for certain songs and when he composed a song did he ever play any instruments or did he just use nothing but his vocals to compose. These people had a musical genius sitting right infront of them and all they can think to ask is ''Are you a virgin?'' or ''How much plastic sugery have you had?''

That's why i love listening to the Dangerous Deposition and The Girl Is Mine deposition so much. Those two things are the closest we're ever gonna get to having an interview about MJ's creative process and that's sad.

I agree. It's sad that no one really cared about asking him about his music - which was all he wanted to share with us. Instead people only cared about his personal life. When I first watched the Oprah interview, I couldn't believe she dared to even ask him that question! Who does she think she is?!

Michael was an interesting character with an extraordinary lifestyle - It isn't surprising that people were (and still are) interested in his life, but I agree that it's upsetting that it seemed to overshadow his musical genious. Even the documentaries that were supposed to talk about him as a musician talked a lot about his private life, usually beginning with the pepsi commercial incident and commenting on his looks. I love watching the making of his short films etc, but even that tells us more about Michael as a person than it does his music and the work behind it.

Thos interviwers thougt that they had the right to ask him anythink posible insted of what realy matered. His music. Maybe that was the reson why michael didn't do so much intervies. because he knew that they would only ask him about the pesronal things? is it sad inded because those people had a great opportunity but instead they throw it away because of they tabloid nature.

I so agree. Especially since I have both of those depositions in their entirety. I so wish I could have interview him. His music and his dancing is probably all that I want to talk about with him. Well that and telling him how much I truly L.O.V.E. him. This thread reminds me of this dream that I once had. Where I was the lucky fan that got to interview Michael. And that his music and dancing is all that I mostly wanted to talk about with him.

A few touched on it, but they needed to be more specific, cause he just replied with things like it came from above, which is a very modest answer MJ, but with some truth as a lot of musical greats, melodys just come to them from the subconcious mind, which they put down to things like from above, or describe the sensation of being like a channel of melody. But they needed to get into more specifics with him, because he'd run with it, like when he starts talking about the composition of dangerous during the court deposition.

Every once in awhile there maybe the odd question here or there but for the most part in interviews there was hardly any mention of the music and how Mike created it. If i ever had the chance to interview him i'd try and ask as many questions about his creative process as i can like where did he come up with the idea for certain songs and when he composed a song did he ever play any instruments or did he just use nothing but his vocals to compose. These people had a musical genius sitting right infront of them and all they can think to ask is ''Are you a virgin?'' or ''How much plastic sugery have you had?''

That's why i love listening to the Dangerous Deposition and The Girl Is Mine deposition so much. Those two things are the closest we're ever gonna get to having an interview about MJ's creative process and that's sad.

I love that deposition exactly for the same reason even though it's hard to look at him.

Besides the interviews are also hundreds of books focused on his personal life and only a very few of them on his work.I've always found this very frustrating.

He is not longer here to write a book but I would have wanted more books written by the people who had worked with him in studio (besides Bruce Swedien).I've read some amazing stories on several blogs and everyone, with no exception, who have worked with Michael said that the man was unbelievable and he knocked you down with his creative genius and of course with THE VOICE.

2Bad :sad:

I think that the people who were interviewing him didn't know/knew very little about what goes on with the creative process about creating music, so that's why they probably didn't go into to much detail beacuse they wouldn't know what to ask

Yep, you're absolutely right. Whenever he was asked it was usually a general question like "How do you write a song?" to which MJ would give a relatively general answer. One exception I can think of now is the Ebony/Jet Showcase interview that was shown after Michael passed away. At least he is asked about some specific songs there.

Would be so great to have a lengthy interview (rather than, indeed, a court deposition!) with Michael in which he discusses his inspirations, his creative process, and stories about specific songs.

You're right. It would've been interesting to ask him more about his inspiration behind his songs, like, when he'd answer a couple of times about how if he sees a beautiful painting or spends time with animals or looks at the sky, he gets instant inspiration. Or about the inspiration behind his poems and drawings.. and stuff that he rarely ever was asked about, and that was mostly in his youth or adolescent years. All they care about to know was their usual crap and it's no wonder Michael must have felt wary and sceptical of the interviewers and interviews in general, because of misquoting him often and writing lousy trash about him and his lifestyle.

Some long time ago I saw an Interview with Prince. The interviewer called it "my odd encounter with Prince". What happened was that Prince went through the interview room, and then left the interviewer alone waiting. This he did several times. Then suddently he came back with his guitar and sat by the Interviewer and said: "hey, listen up... I expect you properbly don't know any of my music, so I'll make this easy for you - if you can mention the songs I am playing... then I will talk to you" Then he started playing. Prince made it easy for him, playing one of his bigger hits, the Interviewer jumped at the oppertionity and started singing along. then he said: you're right I do not know your entire catalog, I only know some of your songs, but I remember (and then he started talking about the empact and the feelings these certain songs he knew) He ended up playing one of Princes own songs on Princes own guitar - after this Prince took the Interviewer with him on a walk and ended up spending the whole day with the interviewer.

What I want to say with this is: often Interviewers are sent to do interviews with people they don't know much about, and whos music they do not care deeply about. This must be tirering for the artist, making them answering the same questions over and over again, and therfore ending up answering the same standard answars to the same standard questions. the Interviewers don't know enough about the artist, to make interesting questions ending up rambeling about "something" just to get an aticle done.

I think this is the reason why a lot of interviews do not mention much about the music, and focus on the private life - simply because this is the easiest way to feed the news article without too much preperation.

MJ interviews bored the life out of me because all the reporters/interviewers asked the same question as people did 30 years ago. All about his face and his reputation and crap like that.

i remember that i read an interview with R.Jerkins about Invincible,
and he explaint a bit about Michaels work and about his knowledge of
all different kinds of recording equipments and microphones.

This is the stuff they should have asked Michael.
About his recording process. about him trying out a 100 microphones
until he chooses one!!

i also love the short interview Michael gave with Will.I.Am on
Access Hollywood in 2006. sad that there aint more of this kinda
interviews

i remember that i read an interview with R.Jerkins about Invincible,
and he explaint a bit about Michaels work and about his knowledge of
all different kinds of recording equipments and microphones.

This is the stuff they should have asked Michael.
About his recording process. about him trying out a 100 microphones
until he chooses one!!

I feel the same way - but maybe it is not interesting for the general public? lack of details like these is the reason why I don't read magazines anymore - they are good "toilet readings" but doesn't really leave an impression. strictly my opinion ;)

I agree with the OP. I think it all went downhill with the Oprah interview. Up until then Michael rarely gave interviews but if he did it focused on the music (like the 1987 Ebony interview about the Bad album). Oprah was the first time when he let the interview focus more on his personal life. And then came Diane Sawyer, Barbara Waters, Bashir. He should have never given those interviews! He should have made it clear to interviewers that he would not tolerate questions like "Are you a virgin?" or "Do you really have sex?" (Sawyer to Michael and LMP). It's utterly disrespectful. Can you imagine the media asking Paul McCartney or Bono questions about whether they have sex with their wives?

As soon as Michael went into such interviews which focused more on personal questions, the media started to think it's open season on him and they have the right to know everything about him, including his personal life.

I think it was a big mistake from Michael to go into such interviews. In his shoes I'd have continued with the politics that he had in the 80s: few interviews, only with respectful and professional journalists and let the focus be on the music.

Back