What ever happened to the original moonwalker?

What ever happened to the guy who invented the Moonwalk?

well if you can tell who did invent it, i'll give you a cookie :)

The move is a very old technique used by loads of people, especially from the tap dancing and mime scene. If you are not familiar with any of these, I'll recommand you take a look, and I am sure you will notice where Michael drew a lot of his inspiration from.

I thought the real "moonwalk" was the turning thing that he does towards the end of the Smooth Criminal video. What ended up being called the moonwalk was originally called the backslide and has been around for a really long time. Mike and the guy that helped him learn it made it more of a breakdance/pop and lock move, but you can find youtube videos of it from the Cab Calloway days.

It was first done a black tap dancer named Cab Calloway as early as 1932. He used to call it "The Buzz". He also performed toe stands and side shuffles similar to MJ. It was first televised when Bill Bailey (not the comedian) Performed a tap routine and ended it by Moonwalking of screen. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qRjj7fLfpZM
Marcel Marceau has been using it in a routine called "Walking Against the Wind" since the 1940's.
It was even shown on Top of the pops in the uk before MJ first did it. Performed to Shalamars "A Night To Remember", (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bm7Gv9rjC-c moonwalk at 1.42) Singer and Choreographer Jeffrey Daniels performs the move 4 times in total, sliding from one side to the other.
Hope this was informative =)

I thought the real "moonwalk" was the turning thing that he does towards the end of the Smooth Criminal video.

Yes, thats the original moonwalk - I've heard the terminology for that move has changed to: "The cobra" (to avoid confusion i suppose)

What Michael does in Smooth Criminal, I call it the 'circle moonwalk' as you slide still like the moonwalk but your going in a circle.

The first thought in my head was : " He's probably some poor guy who is still really mad at MJ."

LOL. Sorry, couldn't help myself.

Back