What does it mean to be a fan from Michael's point of view?

Asedora

Guests
Reading MJ interview from 2001 (USA today) lately I came across one of MJ answers which stuck in my mind. What does it mean to be a fan and how far fans can go "learning" about Michael was always a part of my concern.

It is not a big secret that MJ fans very often cross lines they should not cross imo. I see it all the time reading different forums. The best example is the recent LMP interview thread which finally (thanks God) was closed.

So, what did it mean to be a fan for Michael himself? Here is his answer:

If I could stand face to face with Walt Disney or Michelangelo, would I care what they do in their private life? I want to know about their art. I'm a fan.

Now, the question is why all MJJ boards are overloaded with discussions about MJ private life? Why does it matter for MJ fans to know every little detail about him? Maybe his music and his legacy is something fans have to be interested the most? Where is that line fans should not cross?
I wish I could hear some opinions regarding this subject.

Thank you.

very good point It goes back to the part were he says the world is full of sensationalism and that people become so obsessed they loose site that he is a human being

Well, I can only speak for myself, but besides being a big fan of his artistic work I'm also a fan of the human being behind the magnificent artist Michael Jackson, his thoughts and views (and taste) happened to agree with mine on many levels. And I'm sure he didn't mind having fans like me as long as they didn't became obsessed. So I think it's hard to set a definite line between what's ok and what's not, but we (as a fan group) must try or best to continue to fulfill his wishes regarding the kids privacy for example.

Personally, What happenes in Michael's private life does NOT concern us, however, I LOVED him for his humanitarianism First and foremost, His Loving Nature and caring nature. I fell inLOVE with the Artist...Then His art… Then The MAN and who he is!!! So I would wanna know about how he spends the day, what makes him happy…etc...

Thanks for starting this thread. Some ppl. have lost the real reason why they are here. <3

L.o.v.e.
Romi

Like the previous posters, I am a fan of Michael the entertainer and Michael the person. I admire him a lot and he is my inspiration. I am always curious to know what he thinks about different things, that's why I followed his interviews and speeches. As for private life, I don't need to know every single detail about him and there are some boudaries I will never cross. I don't even go to the manhood thread on this forum because I am embarrassed and think it's a bit over the top.

But since you mentioned LMP interview. I didn't see people going too deep while discussing it. It's just that she said some things, the fans didn't agree with and they were defending Michael. I don't see anything wrong with it.

Reading MJ interview from 2001 (USA today) lately I came across one of MJ answers which stuck in my mind. What does it mean to be a fan and how far fans can go "learning" about Michael was always a part of my concern.

It is not a big secret that MJ fans very often cross lines they should not cross imo. I see it all the time reading different forums. The best example is the recent LMP interview thread which finally (thanks God) was closed.

So, what did it mean to be a fan for Michael himself? Here is his answer:

Now, the question is why all MJJ boards are overloaded with discussions about MJ private life? Why does it matter for MJ fans to know every little detail about him? Maybe his music and his legacy is something fans have to be interested the most? Where is that line fans should not cross?
I wish I could hear some opinions regarding this subject.

Thank you.

I think it's because he was attacked by the media for his private life (or rather for what was assumed about his private life) and fans naturally feel the need to try and defend him. Walt Disney and Michelangelo haven't been attacked for their private lives.

as the above post said and right now i want to know about his father side ,he raised 3 beautiful children and i am not saying because they are his children ,we can see how different these kids from rest of the bunch and they had worlds most known person as their dad. i think that will be new chapter in his legacy.

acquired_taste;3045947 said:
very good point It goes back to the part were he says the world is full of sensationalism and that people become so obsessed they loose site that he is a human being

There is a busy thread on this board with the title: when did you get obsessed with Michael? So &#8220;obsession&#8221; is something which considered to be normal and healthy I guess? This is how I understand the point of this thread. I was not a part MJJ boards before June 25th 2009, so I had to learn about this fact later.

I just can't stop myself trying to know him as much as possible

Zhao, I think it would be good to discuss why.

Whenever I find myself reacting to a Michael situation in particular way, I always ask myself 'why'? How much of it is about me and my issues and how much is it about Michael?

In that way Michael has helped me to continue to grow as a person.

Back