What do you think about the blood on the dance floor album?

The only problem with it is that it's only half an album. I'm not fan of remixes, but the five original, new songs were great IMO. BOTDF is one of Michael's best, most dancable songs IMO. It still makes you wanna dance. The lyrics for Is It Scary are awesome and so true (one of my favorite lyrics from MJ). Morphine is not an easy listening, but it's so expressive - great IMO.

I like to pretend that there are no remixes because I don't care about them. Shame it's only a half an album of new stuff, but neverminding that, it is really great. The new songs on it are awesome.

I am not into remixes much so I prefer the first half of songs.

I never listen to the remixes...The only one I like is 2Bad remix....

But the other 5 are brilliant.....Is It Scary is a true masterpiece....Superfly Sister is so funky...Very underrated pieces of music...

I just totally L.O.V.E. the first 5 songs on it. Especially since it was that album that had gotten a classroom full of MJ hating kids in my school. To see just how awesome Michael really is. When I think how before that cd of mine was played. Those kids only saw Michael the way the American media saw him as. It took only the first 2 songs on that cd just to show them how great he truly is. This is going back to the late 90s when this happen.

I wish there were more songs obviously, but those five songs are really awesome. Morphine is one of my all time favorite MJ songs. The remixes are all right. I actually prefer the 2 Bad remix to the original.

I actually love all kinds of remixes but in this album none of them were my favorite.

The 5 original songs are more than brilliant thought. It would have worked out without the remixes in my opinion.

The new songs were great, its a hybrid of the styles in Invincible and History almost. 'Is It Scary' is one of my favourites, a real modern day Thriller.

popcorn-MJ.gif
:shifty:

I LOVE Blood On The Dancefloor VERY much - the first 5 songs! I don't know why they put on all this f*** remixes. I don't like remixes because it destroys Michaels art. I love his music and I don't like those freaks who mean to make it "danceable" for clubs... because it's not necessary!

One of my favorites is Is It Scary. This song is so perfect!!! And Morphine is a great song, too! It hurts me if I listen to the lyrics and if I think about Michael who went through that sh***.

Yeah, to me it's not really a complete album either!! Love the 5 New ones, but since most were from the short film Ghosts, so I would have Loved some more New Songs like BOTDF!! The Remixes would have been good on a Disc 2 CD or something!! But all in all, the 5 first ones are Awesome on their own!! :)

I like to pretend that there are no remixes because I don't care about them. Shame it's only a half an album of new stuff, but neverminding that, it is really great. The new songs on it are awesome.
i thought i was alone in the disdain of remixes. nice to know i'm not. i love the new stuff on this album too. by the way i love your siggy. so many artists miss that point, but because those two geniuses didn't, they are geniuses.

BOTD is one of the tunes that gets me on the floor love it, Is It Scary is a special track for me as I performed it at the school talent show. Aside from Ghosts I did'nt really listen to the rest of the album over time Morphine and Superfly Sister & the 2 Bad remix have grown on me can't really say the same for the rest of the remixes, When I got the album I used to listen to Earth Song Remix can't stand it now.

Love BOTDF! As freddie mercury would say, whenever im feeling abit "groovy" i keep that CD in heavy rotation. Is It Scary is one of my all time favourite songs of Michael

Morphine (along with Stranger In Moscow) is probably the greatest track MJ has ever recorded.

I would have loved BOTDF to be a full album with On The Line and a finished In The Back, plus 4 or 5 more instead of the remixes. But MJ only wanted an EP. Shame really. Could have been an incredible album.

Morphine (along with Stranger In Moscow) is probably the greatest track MJ has ever recorded.

I would have loved BOTDF to be a full album with On The Line and a finished In The Back, plus 4 or 5 more instead of the remixes. But MJ only wanted an EP. Shame really. Could have been an incredible album.
Oh my God, I love you! Morphine & Stranger In Moscow are my two favorite MJ tracks EVER, lovely to meet another fellow SIMM-lover =)

Personally I would have liked it in EP format with the five songs if they had gone the no-remixes route because the five new songs just sound so alike and they make a great concept album altogether.

BOTDF used to be my unofficial favorite MJ album (HIStory's my number 1 'til never now) because if I pretended the remixes didn't exist, then it was perfection. It's a shame Sony wanted to put those remixes on there; I wish MJ had protested more, but any way, a track-by-track analysis of the album:

1. Blood On the Dance Floor
Thematically, this is the inverted version of Billie Jean as MJ now realizes he himself as the main character is wrong and in a way Susie does have some valid incentive to get him. Musically, it's a classic MJ dance track that is catchy yet loses no musicality and his vocals are raw paranoia.

2. Morphine
MJ at his most experimental and rawest. Michael said Childhood was his most honest song and I believe him to a certain extent, but songs like this one (and SIM and WYBT and WII) really beg to question how many sides to him there are... The song is lacking in melody, which cause Michael to kind of talk-sing and IMO it makes him deliver one of his rawest vocal performances ever. Although the lyrics make obvious references MJ's experience with drug addiction, I take the song to be about the masochism people can have and how they deal with it rather than taking a literal interpretation of his addiction.

3. Superfly Sister
Funky fun with a message I've always wanted to hear. I love how MJ is sayin' all this freaky stuff in metaphors and protesting it at the same time because it shows the subject isn't ignorance on his part, he understands the extent of it all, but he still says he believes it should be more than that.

4. Ghosts
Another catchy dance track that just bites at you. I've never heard such a beat like the one on this song; it's like a switchblade that someone swiftly pierces at you. The lyrics are more paranoid Michael.

5. Is It Scary
While I'm not a fan of recycled lyrics, IIS gets a pass 'cause it's just too d@mn brilliant! The buildup and tension on this song is unlike any other and it's another one of MJ's rawest vocal performances (with melody this time to boot!). The lyrics are a little too one-sided on the matter of tabloids and PR IMO, but everything else let's me ignore that.

BOTDF =

Personally I would have liked it in EP format with the five songs if they had gone the no-remixes route because the five new songs just sound so alike and they make a great concept album altogether.

They do, they do, they do! :D

As an EP format it would have been something new/refreshing for MJ and us fans. But oh well... :p

Btw, great analysis :)

5. Is It Scary
While I'm not a fan of recycled lyrics, IIS gets a pass 'cause it's just too d@mn brilliant! The buildup and tension on this song is unlike any other and it's another one of MJ's rawest vocal performances (with melody this time to boot!). The lyrics are a little too one-sided on the matter of tabloids and PR IMO, but everything else let's me ignore that.

BOTDF =

Is it true The Devil... Mottola forced Michael to put it out there?I agree with you guys, an EP would had been awesome. It was my 1st original cd I bought (I used to have recorded cassettes only) and I used to love most of the album but now I can't stand the remixes, I think they're a waste of space but no matter how much we hate them, it's the biggest selling album of that kind. Morphine is lyrically my favorite from that album, it's raw, it's angry, it's haunting. Is It Scary music is also haunting which I love it. BOTTF & Ghost always make me wanna dance.

Is it true The Devil... Mottola forced Michael to put it out there?I agree with you guys, an EP would had been awesome. It was my 1st original cd I bought (I used to have recorded cassettes only) and I used to love most of the album but now I can't stand the remixes, I think they're a waste of space but no matter how much we hate them, it's the biggest selling album of that kind. Morphine is lyrically my favorite from that album, it's raw, it's angry, it's haunting. Is It Scary music is also haunting which I love it. BOTTF & Ghost always make me wanna dance.
Force is an incorrect word to describe Sony having MJ put those remixes, the company does have some control over his releases and he signed up for that when he signed a contract with them.

it is the very first album of michael i bought. first, i didn't really like.
but i could feel michael was creaming/crying in that album.
different from you, i like the remixes, specially like < you are not alone (club mix)> ,from first to now.

after years, turn back to see michael's all ablums, i think < blood on the floor> ablum is very different.
not because it's mix, but because he did so strong change. though michael's voice was strong at first few songs,but i feel relax in last few remix songs...
i couldn't find that way in michael's other ablums.

I do not like remixes - but the new songs are great!

Is It Scary is one of my all time favorite songs!

Love the songs of the album, so it rocks...as all of his albums

I love the first 5 songs, especially Ghosts and Is it scary, but I've never really liked remixes so I don't listen to the 2nd half of the CD.
:)

Back