What did Michael think of Titanic?

4u_n_4me

Proud Member
Did Michael think of Titanic?

Hey all. Just saw Titanic 3D the other day. Was wondering if anyone happened to know at all if Michael ever spoke about what he thought about the sinking, the movie, etc.

Last edited:
My favorite movie. I would like to know what he thought of it also. I'm guessing he must have loved the special effects and the historical aspects.

I don't recall this being mentioned anywhere but as someone just said I'd have thought Michael would have loved the way the film was made with all of the amazing special affects.

Michael talks about reading the book "A Night To Remember" (by Walter Lord) in this interview:

9780805077643.jpg

By the way, like so many, I am fascinated with the Titanic. On Sunday it will be exactly 100 years since it sank.
Some interesting links for other Titanic fans:

http://www.rmstitanic.net/expedition/#

http://ngm.nationalgeographic.com/2012/04/titanic/titanic-interactive

I also seem to remember in one of those interviews in the 70s (might have been on Soul Train?) He was asked the question what books he liked to read and he said how he'd read what was popular at the time, and from what I remember one of those books he mentioned was The Sinking of the Titanic. Or maybe it was that one in the post above, or maybe both. That's all I've heard about Michael's interest in the Titanic. :)

Edit: Yeah, it was the one I was thinking of from that video above, so nevermind

I have that book. And I didn't know Michael had read that book too. I don't know why that would surprise me. Especially since that is one of the many things that me and Michael had in common. We both have a L.O.V.E. for reading. Ever since I could remember I have always had such a huge fascination with the Titanic. I just watch a program about it last night. And I even have the movie of the Titanic on vhs tape. I should go back to watch that movie again. Especially since it has been a hundred years.

For those who are interested in the story of the Titanic , I would advise the A&E documentaries " Titanic, death of a dream" (until the sinking) and " Titanic, the legend lives on" (after the sinking).
Both of them are about 3 hours long (1.5 hours each), really worth watching. It covers the whole story from the construction in Belfast to the aftermaths of the disaster. There are testimonies from survivors, Walter Lord is interviewed, and the context is explained.
It's probably the best documentary I've seen about the Titanic

Thanks, bouee! I will check them out!

I find this fascinating too:

Futility, or the Wreck of the Titan is an 1898 novella written by Morgan Robertson. The story features the ocean liner Titan, which sinks in the North Atlantic after striking an iceberg. The Titan and its sinking have been noted to be very similar to the real-life passenger ship RMS Titanic, which sank fourteen years later. Following the wreck the novel was reissued with some changes, particularly in the ship's gross tonnage, to make it closer to the Titanic.[SUP][1][/SUP]

Similarities to the Titanic

Although the novel was written before the Olympic-class Titanic had even been designed, there are some remarkable similarities between the fictional and real-life counterparts. Like the Titanic, the fictional ship sank in April in the North Atlantic, and there were not enough lifeboats for the passengers. There are also similarities between the size (800 ft long for Titan versus 882 ft 9 in long for the Titanic[SUP][2][/SUP]), speed (25 knots for Titan, 22.5 knots for Titanic[SUP][3][/SUP]) and life-saving equipment.
Beyond the name, the similarities between the Titanic and the fictional Titan include:[SUP][original research?][/SUP]

• Described as "unsinkable"
    • The Titanic was the world's largest luxury liner (882 feet, displacing 63,000 long tons), and was once described as being practically "unsinkable".
    • The Titan was the largest craft afloat and the greatest of the works of men (800 feet, displacing 75,000 tons, up from 45,000 in the 1898 edition), and was considered "unsinkable".
  • Shortage of lifeboats
    • The Titanic carried only 16 lifeboats, plus 4 Engelhardt folding lifeboats,[SUP][4][/SUP] less than half the number required for her passenger capacity of 3000.
    • The Titan carried "as few as the law allowed", 24 lifeboats, less than half needed for her 3000 capacity.
  • Struck an iceberg
    • Moving too fast at 22½ knots,[SUP][citation needed][/SUP] the Titanic struck an iceberg on the starboard side on the night of April 14, 1912 in the North Atlantic 400 miles away from Newfoundland.
    • Also on an April night, in the North Atlantic 400 miles from Newfoundland (Terranova), the Titan hit an iceberg while traveling at 25 knots, also on the starboard side.
  • Sinking
    • The unsinkable Titanic sank, and more than half of her 2200 passengers died.
    • The indestructible Titan also sank, more than half of her 2500 passengers drowning.
    • Went down bow first, the Titan actually capsizing before it sank.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Futility,_or_the_Wreck_of_the_Titan

This novel was written 14 years before the Titanic sank! And the ship in it was called Titan!

Maybe Michael thought of the class differences.
I might remember wrong but I think 3klass passengers wasn´t given a change.Not even the children
It wasn´t enough lifeboats but still many of them that was lowered down was not full

There was a picture of Michael and Leo DiCaprio taken at Neverland in 1998. Michael had invited DiCaprio over for a party. He must have enjoyed the film to include DiCaprio in the guest list since to my knowledge they were not friends prior to that :)

Thanks for that video! I have that book (A Night To Remember). Didn't know Michael read it. The 1958 movie version is airing tonight at 10pm on TCM.

Editing to add that when I first saw Titanic the movie I became a little obsessed with all things Titanic. My sister bought me for my birthday a replica of the Heart of the Ocean necklace from the movie. I am looking at it right now, as I haven't taken it out from the box in a long time. I also got a huge Titanic coffee table book. That movie had every element that makes a great movie all wrapped up in one package...romance, adventure, suspense, drama, special effects, visual beauty, great acting, beautiful casting, etc etc. Love it.

Last edited:
There was a picture of Michael and Leo DiCaprio taken at Neverland in 1998. Michael had invited DiCaprio over for a party. He must have enjoyed the film to include DiCaprio in the guest list since to my knowledge they were not friends prior to that :)

Is this the pic?
tumblr_lo85tmMBOa1qbw910o1_500.jpg

Omg, my heart just sank(no pun) when the the part when the mom in 3rd class didn't make it out to the boats with her son and daughter and she was telling them a story and they went to fall asleep. :*(

Also, a deleted scene was where the other girl in 3rd class, Cora and her father were trapped below with the water rising. Im glad that scene didn't make it, but that really happened to others!

Is this the pic?
tumblr_lo85tmMBOa1qbw910o1_500.jpg

That's interesting about the Titanic. I had forgotten that he mentioned it years ago in that Soul Train interview (A Night To Remember). He was an avid reader and history buff... he had to be interested in it.

But concerning that pic... I'll bet he did invite him over due to the movie.

also in michael jackson private movies,,they were showing neverland ..and they had a board with his favorite movies at that time..and N.1 was Titanic. so i guessed he liked it

Back