Weird Al says MJ approved of his parodies

MsCassieMollie

Proud Member
Weird Al says MJ approved of his parodies – In Session - CNN.com Blogs

<object width="416" height="374" classid="clsid:D27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000" id="ep"><param name="allowfullscreen" value="true" /><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always" /><param name="wmode" value="transparent" /><param name="movie" value="http://i.cdn.turner.com/cnn/.element/apps/cvp/3.0/swf/cnn_416x234_embed.swf?context=embed&videoId=showbiz/2011/10/11/sbt-weird-al.hln" /><param name="bgcolor" value="#000000" /><embed src="http://i.cdn.turner.com/cnn/.element/apps/cvp/3.0/swf/cnn_416x234_embed.swf?context=embed&videoId=showbiz/2011/10/11/sbt-weird-al.hln" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" bgcolor="#000000" allowfullscreen="true" allowscriptaccess="always" width="416" wmode="transparent" height="374"></embed></object>

Before there was "White & Nerdy" and "Amish Paradise," Weird Al Yankovic's unconventional rise to fame was boosted by brilliantly spoofing Michael Jackson's hit songs "Beat It" and "Bad."

Weird Al stopped by the Showbiz Tonight studios where I spoke with him about Michael giving Weird Al his blessing to do both the &#8220;Eat It&#8221; and &#8220;Fat&#8221; parodies.

"He was a great sport and had a great sense of humor," says Yankovic. "In fact, when we did the 'Fat' video, that was actually Michael Jackson's subway set."

Over the years, Weird Al was able to meet Michael Jackson in person on a few occasions. After one such meeting, he referred to Michael as "unworldly."

I asked him about that and he told me, "It was just very odd to meet him because he was a larger than life figure. It was almost like meeting someone out of Madame Tussauds wax museum. It was like this person can't exist in reality. It was just hard to comprehend this was an actual human being."

I'm glad he said he was a good sport, and it's been known for a while that Michael approved of Al's work. So, this is kind of old news.

I'm not sure how to take his "Madame Tussaud" comment, though...

I think he just meant it was unbelieveable to meet MJ, it was hard to believe it's MJ he's talking to.

Well MJ didn't really approve of him having a parody to Black or White. He didn't record one but for concerts he sang Snack All Night.

I don't think he meant anything bad but the choice of words some people are using could be better. Because there are many ways people could interpret that. I hope it's okay to say this but he owes Michael a lot. His career changed after doing these parodies. They are funny.

Meet Michael? It is without doubt a moment Kermit!!!! :wild: >>>>
kermit.gif
:blushing:

I'm not sure how to take his "Madame Tussaud" comment, though...

I think he's referring to how it might feel unreal..........

.....In madame tussauds you feel like your in a room full of the most famous people in the World.........

Of course I know my approved Weird Al to make perodies of his songs, because he gave him permission. I mean Weird Al is a very decent humourous guy.

Back