Was They Don't Care About Us Suppose to be Michaels "Rhythm Nation"?

Themidwestcowboy

Proud Member
Okey lets see, from all the information we've gathered over the years,

Michael Wrote TDCAU somewhere in 1989 or even earlier but it failed to take a place on Dangerous.

Michael said that Janet asked if she could borrow the military theme and moves from him for what would become her famous Rhythm Nation. And he told her he was about to do a Short Film with that type of direction

The choreography for TDCAU Live is a little bit reminiscent of Rhythm Nation on certain parts.

Do you think it is possible that the Short Film that he was slated to do was for TDCAU? If so than wow, i think we potentially got robbed of one of his greatest Short Films..

I thought Janet wanted to steal the military stuff MJ did in Captain Eo, she asked right before he began shooting the BAD short film in November 1986, and he said yes, and that's why the choreography on BAD was so spontaneous.

I thought Janet wanted to steal the military stuff MJ did in Captain Eo, she asked right before he began shooting the BAD short film in November 1986, and he said yes, and that's why the choreography on BAD was so spontaneous.

Oh yeah he said that the choreography for bad was spontaneous but i don't remember him saying it had anything to do with Janet wanting to borrow the military stuff for Captain EO. Right after he says that [In PHM] it cuts straight to Rhythm Nation. If that is true about Bad being spontaneous because of that, then Janet would have had brought all that up stuff prior to bad (early 86?] and thats a 3 year old long stretch to the actual inception of Rhythm Nation. It could be possible that Janet had it all planned, but three years is a pretty long stretch.

Last edited:
" We're avid TV watchers, and we would watch MTV, BET...then switch over to CNN, and there'd always be something messed-up happening. It was never good news, always bad news. I think the thing that really triggered it was the Stockton playground murders, which really hit Janet hard. She loves kids." The incident led Janet and Jam & Lewis to record "Livin' in a World (They Didn't Make)." "From that point on," Jam concludes, "we decided we should concentrate on doing some songs in that vein and we ended up with 'Rhythm Nation' and 'State of the World', but the concept was her idea." - Jimmy Jam

Now the Stockton schoolyard shooting occurred on January 17, 1989 and Rhythm Nation as a single was released in October. Isin't it more likely that she asked Michael for the military stuff somwehere between January and October when she actually came up with the concept? It coincides perfectly with my thesis that Michael had planned something for TDCAU.

Another tidbit about the Stockton Schoolyard shooting concerning Michael

"Michael Jackson's Support

Michael Jackson, coolest pop singer on the planet, showed up in Stockton with "truckloads of gifts to the children" and helped comfort survivors of the attack, according to Diane Batres who worked for the district attorney's victim witness department."

" her idea."[/i] - Jimmy Jam

Another tidbit about the Stockton Schoolyard shooting concerning Michael

"Michael Jackson's Support

Michael Jackson, coolest pop singer on the planet, showed up in Stockton with "truckloads of gifts to the children" and helped comfort survivors of the attack, according to Diane Batres who worked for the district attorney's victim witness department."
I also read that in article last year (maybe posted here?) that Stockton only talked about this AFTER Michael died, as they were pledged to secrecy-that Michael also paid for the funerals and all the hospital bills of all those kids that were hurt.

I always assumed it originated with him running with different police officers and soldiers in his little mini-movies-that later evolved into the HIStory teaser. Never thought about it for BAD or Dangerous. I can see a really different story with TDCAU-that's an interesting idea.

"State Of The World" wasn't based of the Stockton shooting.It was "Living In A World(They Didn't Make)",because the song actually has a news clip about it at the end of the song.

I always assumed it originated with him running with different police officers and soldiers in his little mini-movies-that later evolved into the HIStory teaser. Never thought about it for BAD or Dangerous. I can see a really different story with TDCAU-that's an interesting idea.

Indeed.. Looking at the way he performed it gives us an type of indication. I always wanted Mj to go full out on dancing incorporating street urban dance, the way janet did in Rhythm Nation. Luckily he did some of that stuff in Ghosts! And that video that just recently surfaced from 93 that apparently was for a Is It Scary project (Original Ghosts?) shows some nifty moves he later incorporated in Ghosts.

"State Of The World" wasn't based of the Stockton shooting.It was "Living In A World(They Didn't Make)",because the song actually has a news clip about it at the end of the song.

Yeah but it didn't say "State Of The World" was based of the shootings but that it was the inspiration for it.

Indeed.. Looking at the way he performed it gives us an type of indication. I always wanted Mj to go full out on dancing incorporating street urban dance, the way janet did in Rhythm Nation. Luckily he did some of that stuff in Ghosts! And that video that just recently surfaced from 93 that apparently was for a Is It Scary project (Original Ghosts?) shows some nifty moves he later incorporated in Ghosts.

Yeah but it didn't say "State Of The World" was based of the shootings but that it was the inspiration for it.
But "State Of The World" talks about two different stories: a 15-year old girl with a child and a homeless little boy whose teased for not having a home.I don't really understand the connection between those stories and the shootings.

well artists can be inspired by a lot of things. Michael wrote speechless after having a water fight with children in Germany if i remember correctly. There doesn't have to be a "connection" the mind works in mysterious ways. Michelangelo said that the changing of seasons watching the leaves fall inspired him to sculpt. It does not have to be related to the proffesion or the subject matter for you to get inspired by it.

Last edited:
kingkey100;3955201 said:
But certainly not Roosevelt - he´s Sony´s wish/order, Michael himself would never mention him.

:D yeah right.
all their possible influnce on Michaels lyrics was to cut (radio edits) and maybe censor (although i think michael did that himself on TDCAU), but not to tell him what names to mention.

@initial post
Think, why would Michael make serious video plans for a song that wasn't even released back then.
The military inspiration Janet took from Captain EO.

:D yeah right.
all their possible influnce on Michaels lyrics was to cut (radio edits) and maybe censor (although i think michael did that himself on TDCAU), but not to tell him what names to mention.

@initial post
Think, why would Michael make serious video plans for a song that wasn't even released back then.
The military inspiration Janet took from Captain EO.

No one here is disputing the fact that the choreagraphy was taken from
Captain EO. But the fact that Michael said that he was about to do a short film
in that vein but let her use it and that Rhythm Nation was created in 1989 makes one think. He is seen using the exact same choreagraphy when he performs it live. The song itself has a military approach (with the drums and all).

This is Michael Jackson were talking about. He came up with ideas years before starting on them so it is perfectly plausible

Michael learned that dancing was going to Military style once he did Captain EO (as some said above) he planned to have his "next" short film to be all military style which would make that the BAD video. He let her have it, however I think we all know that Michael carried that military style through his choreography/dance all through his career in video and live performance.

Michael learned that dancing was going to Military style once he did Captain EO (as some said above) he planned to have his "next" short film to be all military style which would make that the BAD video. He let her have it, however I think we all know that Michael carried that military style through his choreography/dance all through his career in video and live performance.

I touched on this subject in one of my earlier posts. Bad was taped in 1987,and Janet created Rhythm nation in 1989! So Janet supposedly asked Mike for a choreography she was going to use for a video she hadn't even created yet? Jimmy Jam said they came up with the idea and the concept for Rhythm Nation after the shootings that happened in January, 1989. Isin't it more plausible that she asked him for the choreo after she invented Rhythm Nation?

Back