Was MJ gonna release an album in 1999?

elpresrocket

Proud Member
So, 1999, MJ was all ready to release a new album. What happened?

Proof: (from the oldest MJ site i could find, www.michael-jackson-trader.com)

16/06/1999 New Album - Release Date
Sony Music has finally set a release date for Michael Jackson's new album.
Following a meeting with Michael last week-end in New York, Tommy Mottola, president of Sony Music, set a date for the US release of the new album:
November 9th 1999.
As usual, the new record will certainly be released a couple of days earlier in Europe to prevent parallel imports.
Michael's American record company is currently wondering whether they will release a vinyl version of the new album. As of now, the only formats planned for release are CD, Cassette and Minidisc.
A vinyl pressing of the record would nevertheless be released in Europe

17/06/1999 Quote from Puff Daddy
During an interview with French TV station MCM, Sean "Puff Daddy" Combs was asked whether he was going to be on Michael Jackson's new album. Sitting next to him was rapper Mase (who participated in the project). Here's what the popular R&B producer said:
"When I heard the stuff Michael has recorded for his new album... I'm not sure he's gonna use what we did because, you know, the songs I heard are so good..."

04/08/1999 New Album - Sony Music Schedule
Due to new production delays, the schedule of Sony Music for the release of Michael Jackson's album is being rearranged. The final tapes of the new album won't be turned in by August as expected.
The November 9th commercial release date may be postponed soon. Sony Music is still hoping for a release this year but very little time is left now to meet the deadline.then nothing.

what happened?

i think it was gonna be called millenium but later changed it to invincible

It was released in 2001....."Invincible"

i dont think invincible contains the same songs though. it was lile the album was ready to come out in 99, mj had cold feet or the record label wasnt happy with it, so he went back and started from scratch.

hope we will get that album one day.

the talk is it was vince but sony didnt like it so told him to go back and do it again. part of mottolas games. whether its true who knows

It was Invincible. Some of the 1st songs from Invincible to be recorded back in the late 90s were "Speechless" and "Cry"

It was Invincible. Some of the 1st songs from Invincible to be recorded back in the late 90s were "Speechless" and "Cry"

Not quite correct. Of the songs which made the final cut for Invincible, only Break Of Dawn, You Rock My World, and Cry were on the original album slated for a 1999 release. This was confirmed by "Cartman" at the time, if you remember him. He worked on the album with MJ. Speechless was recorded in 2001.

Other songs such as Fall Again, Seeing Voices and I Have This Dream were also expected to appear on the 1999 album but as elusive said, Sony told him to go back in the studio and he stayed there for another two years!

Not quite correct. Of the songs which made the final cut for Invincible, only Break Of Dawn, You Rock My World, and Cry were on the original album slated for a 1999 release. This was confirmed by "Cartman" at the time, if you remember him. He worked on the album with MJ. Speechless was recorded in 2001.

Other songs such as Fall Again, Seeing Voices and I Have This Dream were also expected to appear on the 1999 album but as elusive said, Sony told him to go back in the studio and he stayed there for another two years!

But surely You Rock My World was recorded in 2000? So it wouldn't of been on the 1999 album?

Source: (Wikipedia)

Jackson and Rodney Jerkins played all the instruments in the song, which was recorded at Record One Studios in Los Angeles from July to September, 2000.

maybe someone could email rodney kerkins or someone else worked on the album?

It was the invincible album one. Its first release date was on 1999 but it was posponed to 2001. :)

It was the invincible album one. Its first release date was on 1999 but it was posponed to 2001. :)
im afraid your wrong. there was clearly an album ready to come out in 99 then... nothing. everything went silent.

all of a sudden in 2001 invincible comes out.

its clearly a different album, either mj wasnt happy with the 1st or sony made him redo it.

The album that was meant to be released in 1999 was what we now know as Invincible however the album that was going to be released in 1999 had a vastly different tracklisting to the album that was released in 2001. It was said that the album was played to Sony execs in 1999, one of the songs on it was Fall Again, they weren't happy with it because they didn't think the album was commercial enough and so they told him to go back into the studio. There's so many tracks that were recorded and have been finished that we've never heard.

I heard Michael say in the interview with him on rollingstone.com that he'd recorded loads of material for invincible to get to the final 16 current tracks. So I think we'll definately see some of these unreleased tracks in the (near) future. I doubt they were just demo's. 'Trouble' and 'Hotstreet' seems more than demo-quality to me.

This made me think...Michael was really busy in the 90s...Dangerous, tour, HIStory, tour, BOTDF and then he even wanted to release in 1999. And all the music videos! 18 music videos (sorry if I miscounted)! And Ghost one was soooo long! Plus he became a husband twice and a father and he was already ready for a new album in 1999. Impressive eh?

Back