Was Michael Jackson the first superstar to do...

Datsymay

Proud Member
The superbowl?
I am asking this because I have noticed that on Youtube there are a lot of shows during halftime, called 'The Michael Jackson Show'. They all do medleys of MJ songs. I wonder if this is a pattern at games and whether it has anything to do with the superbowl. As anyone else notices this?:D

I 1967 ~ University of Arizona & University of Michigan Bands
II 1968 ~ Grambling State University Band
III 1969 ~ Florida A&M University Band
IV 1970 ~ Carol Channing
V 1971 ~ Florida A&M University Band
VI 1972 ~ Ella Fitzgerald, Carol Channing, Al Hirt & USMC Drill Team
VII 1973 ~ Michigan Marching Band & Woody Herman
VIII 1974 ~ University of Texas Band and Judy Mallett (Miss Texas 1973) on fiddle
IX 1975 ~ Mercer Ellington & Grambling State University Bands
X 1976 ~ Up with People
XI 1977 ~ Los Angeles Unified All-City Band & Audience card stunt
XII 1978 ~ Tyler Apache Belles Drill Team, Pete Fountain & Al Hirt
XIII 1979 ~ Ken Hamilton, various Caribbean bands
XIV 1980 ~ Up with People
XV 1981 ~ Southern University band, Helen O'Connell
XVI 1982 ~ Up with People
XVII 1983 ~ Los Angeles Super Drill Team
XVIII 1984 ~ University of Florida and Florida State University bands
XIX 1985 ~ Tops In Blue
XX 1986 ~ Up with People
XXI 1987 ~ Southern California-area High School drill teams and dancers
XXII 1988 ~ Chubby Checker, The Rockettes, 88 grand pianos, and the mighty CSUN Matador Wall of Sound.
XXIII 1989 ~ Elvis Presto, South Florida-area dancers and performers & 3-D effects.
XXIV 1990 ~ Pete Fountain, Doug Kershaw, Irma Thomas, Nicholls State University band, Southern University band, USL band
XXV 1991 ~ New Kids on the Block, Disney characters, Warren Moon, 2,000 local children, Audience card stunt
XXVI 1992 ~ Gloria Estefan with Olympic Figure skaters Brian Boitano and Dorothy Hamill
XXVII 1993 ~ Michael Jackson and 3,500 local children.
XXVIII 1994 ~ Clint Black, Tanya Tucker, Travis Tritt, The Judds
XXIX 1995 ~ Indiana Jones & Marion Ravenwood, Patti LaBelle, Tony Bennett, Arturo Sandoval, Miami Sound Machine
XXX 1996 ~ Diana Ross
XXXI 1997 ~ Blues Brothers (Dan Aykroyd, John Goodman and Jim Belushi), ZZ Top, James Brown
XXXII 1998 ~ Boyz II Men, Smokey Robinson, Martha Reeves, The Temptations, Queen Latifah
XXXIII 1999 ~ Stevie Wonder, Gloria Estefan, Big Bad Voodoo Daddy, Savion Glover
XXXIV 2000 ~ Phil Collins, Christina Aguilera, Enrique Iglesias, Toni Braxton, 80-person choir
Edward James Olmos (narrator)
XXXV 2001 ~ Ben Stiller, Adam Sandler, Chris Rock (pre-recorded intro skit)
Aerosmith, 'N Sync, Britney Spears, Mary J. Blige, Nelly
XXXVI 2002 ~ U2 with a tribute to 9/11 victims.
XXXVII ~ Shania Twain, No Doubt, Sting
XXXVIII 2004 ~ Jessica Simpson with University of Houston and Texas Southern bands,
Janet Jackson, Justin Timberlake, Nelly, P. Diddy, Kid Rock
XXXIX 2005 ~ Paul McCartney
XL 2006 ~ The Rolling Stones
XLI 2007 ~ Prince, Florida A&M University Marching 100 band
XLII 2008 ~ Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers

Well, it doesn't answer my question about why so many half-time games forcus on |MJ music and even call their shows Michael Jackson show.

Well, it doesn't answer my question about why so many half-time games forcus on |MJ music and even call their shows Michael Jackson show.

What do you mean? I see MJ only once, but Gloria Estefan 3 times - 2 solo and 1 with Miami Sound Machine. School bands perform all sorts of material, you're just seeking out MJ.

Last edited:
Michael wasn't the first big star to do the Superbowl halftime show, but I believe he was the one who made it a must see event. Also wikipedia (yeah not always reliable but still) states that "unlike in many previous years, Michael was the only performer in the entire halftime show". They also claim "Because of Jackson's star power, the FOX network declined to broadcast counter-programming against the halftime show like they did during Super Bowl XXVI's show in the previous year. FOX would never broadcast counter-programming again against the Super Bowl; on December 19, 1993, the network signed an agreement to broadcast NFL games starting in 1994".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Super_Bowl_XXVII

Isn't MJ's superbowl halftime show the highest rated of all time also?

Last edited:
What do you mean? I see MJ only once, but Gloria Estefan 3 times - 2 solo and 1 with Miami Sound Machine. School bands perform all sorts of material, you're just seeking out MJ.
I am not from America, I am simply asking a civil question. I do not see other celbs given a title. I have seen a number of shows calling itself The Michael Jackson show. I am curious, that is why I asked. Is there some shows using other celebs as the title?^_^

you asked the question if MJ was the fisrt Superstar to do it. the answer is YES. sure a lot of acts are included on that list..but none of them are as big a star as Michael. He also got the biggest ratings...and it was because of him that the halftime show of the superbowl is no longer a halftime show, but an event, that other networks compete against, or are affected by, and don't compete against. It was like 'up with people' before Michael..and now, after Michael, it's rated right on up there with the commercials. i don't have to do research on this. i'm a football fanatic, and watched the games myself for a couple years prior to Michael, and ever since. there are no other acts that get the 'Michael Jackson show' treatment. as a sidebar..the USC marching band was part of the parade of the Michael Jackson party at the Orpheum theatre, in Los Angeles, a couple of years ago, and of course they played his tunes.

man..the industry really oughta thank Michael. His songwriting is so brilliant, that no matter what instrumental arrangements there are of it..it gives people a feeling of feeling musically fulfilled.

Last edited:
Michael wasn't the first big star to do the Superbowl halftime show, but I believe he was the one who made it a must see event. Also wikipedia (yeah not always reliable but still) states that "unlike in many previous years, Michael was the only performer in the entire halftime show". They also claim "Because of Jackson's star power, the FOX network declined to broadcast counter-programming against the halftime show like they did during Super Bowl XXVI's show in the previous year. FOX would never broadcast counter-programming again against the Super Bowl; on December 19, 1993, the network signed an agreement to broadcast NFL games starting in 1994".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Super_Bowl_XXVII

Isn't MJ's superbowl halftime show the highest rated of all time also?

you are on point with this.

you asked the question if MJ was the fisrt Superstar to do it. the answer is YES. sure a lot of acts are included on that list..but none of them are as big a star as Michael. He also got the biggest ratings...and it was because of him that the halftime show of the superbowl is no longer a halftime show, but an event, that other networks compete against. It was like 'up with people' before Michael..and now, after Michael, it's rated right on up there with the commercials. i don't have to do research on this. i'm a football fanatic, and watched the games myself for a couple years prior to Michael, and ever since.
Thank you so much for your reply. Yes, I did ask that question, but only as part of my main question, whether that was the reason why so many halftime games do MJ or even call their halftime shows,The Michael jackson Show I was just curious as to why so many bands and dancers do MJ during half time, that's all.

Last edited:
Thank you so much for your reply. Yes, I did ask that question, but only as part of my main question, whether that was the reason why so many halftime games do MJ or even call their halftime shows,The Michael jackson Show I was just curious as to why so many bands and dancers do MJ during half time, that's all.

well..lol..the answer to your second question, can be answered by anyone with a heart. MJ mania is here to stay.

I am not from America, I am simply asking a civil question. I do not see other celbs given a title. I have seen a number of shows calling itself The Michael Jackson show. I am curious, that is why I asked. Is there some shows using other celebs as the title?^_^

Band performances aren't given names, most likely whoever filmed them (obviously home video) and uploaded them on the site added the titles, perhaps to get views. There's a lot of stuff on youtube that has a famous person's name on it, and when you click on it it's a home video of something. There's even this big joke where they put somebody's name on a video, but you wind up with Rick Astley's "Never Gonna Give You Up" video. It's called rick-rule

Band performances aren't given names, most likely whoever filmed them (obviously home video) and uploaded them on the site added the titles, perhaps to get views. There's a lot of stuff on youtube that has a famous person's name on it, and when you click on it it's a home video of something. There's even this big joke where they put somebody's name on a video, but you wind up with Rick Astley's "Never Gonna Give You Up" video. It's called rick-rule

(Reminds me of the movie 40-Year-Old Virgin...ROTFLMAO)

yeah..but you don't have to be splitting hairs to know that MJ dominates. If you want to deny it, you can...but..MJ dominates because of the mania.

no scientific studies needed here. it's the same reason why i hear nothing but MJ music in the hood.

it's called MJ mania.

i mean if you want to deny and say that there are other acts on youtube..then..you can say that there are everyday people on youtube too, which there are. i think we all know that Datsymay is referring to the Michael mania, which dominates youtube, and even the media took notice of it. i mean, there are many acts being played on radio today in sports arenas..but there's never a mention by the announcers, unless the music is by Michael Jackson.

Last edited:
you asked the question if MJ was the fisrt Superstar to do it. the answer is YES. sure a lot of acts are included on that list..but none of them are as big a star as Michael. He also got the biggest ratings...and it was because of him that the halftime show of the superbowl is no longer a halftime show, but an event, that other networks compete against, or are affected by, and don't compete against. It was like 'up with people' before Michael..and now, after Michael, it's rated right on up there with the commercials. i don't have to do research on this. i'm a football fanatic, and watched the games myself for a couple years prior to Michael, and ever since. there are no other acts that get the 'Michael Jackson show' treatment. as a sidebar..the USC marching band was part of the parade of the Michael Jackson party at the Orpheum theatre, in Los Angeles, a couple of years ago, and of course they played his tunes.

man..the industry really oughta thank Michael. His songwriting is so brilliant, that no matter what instrumental arrangements there are of it..it gives people a feeling of feeling musically fulfilled.

Since you said you watch it every year, who is Up With People, lol.

What hood are you from, Neverland? LOL
I don't hear any MJ in the "hood", but rubbish like Soulja Boy, Laffy Taffy, & DJ Screw with the big boom systems that rattle the car, lol.

I don't hear any MJ in the "hood", but rubbish like Soulja Boy, Laffy Taffy, & DJ Screw with the big boom systems that rattle the car, lol.

i'm about four hundred miles from Neverland. i'm in south L.A. ever heard of it? lol

It's not that hard to believe. I live in the "hood" too and hear MJ's music more often than you'd think. Of course Soulja Boy and 'em get the most play in these neighboorhoods, but I hear Michael's music out here too, especially songs from "Off The Wall". The people who live down the street from me are always blasting "Wanna Be Startin' Somethin'" and "Don't Stop 'Till You Get Enough" from their house lol. It's pretty funny actually since you wouldn't think people who looked like them and dressed like them would be into MJ but they are.

Much of what we see as halftime today was driven from Michaels performance..

that stage design, the way the lights work, pyro, etc...

They did not do it in that extent..

MJ was the One that made the Halftime show a must see. the year before MJ did the halftime show, Fox had the show "In living color" with the Men on film segement which took a chunk away of the Super Bowl Half time audience and that is when the NFL got on the ball and said we gotta get the youth and younger audience to stay on our channel during Halftime,etc...

others had done it,but lets be real when MJ does something everybody is watching.

Since you said you watch it every year, who is Up With People, lol.

it was just a catch phrase for marching bands playing traditional marching band music. there was always room in the halftime show for stuff like that...until MJ. as said before..MJ was the first to command the entire halftime, and it changed from there, cus at that point..every celebrity wanted to feel that they could totally command the halftime and eliminate the marching bands from the superbowl halftime. as u know..when MJ does it, the rest of the music industry wants to follow.

Michael is the person that made the halftime, a SPECTICAL..

Before it was a part of the show.. Where many people would go on, flip the channels etc.. NOW halftime gets more views than the actual game..

This started with MICHAEL JACKSON..

I'd rather halftime shows stay marching band oriented. That was so fun about attending a live game, seeing the band.

it was just a catch phrase for marching bands playing traditional marching band music.
Naw, Up With People is a charitable, humanitarian organization that does good things, including enlisting talented young people to bring folks together through positive song and dance performances. It's called the Up With People Show, and there are performances (I think) all over the world.

Last edited:
Back