Was anyone else surprised that MJ chose to do the TII shows BEFORE releasing an album??

Fiona

Guests
I dunno, maybe I'm still stuck in the 80s and 90s, but in the past MJ had always released an album prior to touring. I found it very strange that he chose to do his big comeback tour without promoting a new album at the same time, especially seeing as he was allegedly recording new material at the time.

I wonder if this is really the way MJ wanted to come back or whether he was pressured into signing that contract with AEG?

I never really thought of that. Many artists typically release an album and then tour. But the rehearsals of This Is It only included him performing his songs from his previous albums and no new material. Did he plan on performing new songs as well? Even if he did release a new album and then announce the tour, it wouldn't really make sense for him to not perform the new songs.

Not to go off topic or sound like a 'conspiracy theorist' but the whole announcement in March and death in 3 months later still seems a tad strange to me. I try not to think about that though...

I wonder if this is really the way MJ wanted to come back or whether he was pressured into signing that contract with AEG?

Good question..

I think of all possibilities he had, it was best for him to perform first and then release new music.

My theories of his murder aside, it made the most sense. Everyone was against him. If the album was released first, it would have fizzled and he might have had to do some average promoting like the Invincible CD signing event... then there might not have even been a chance for a tour.

Tour first, CD "later" = Get everyone excited, tease them with some songs, THEN release the album.

But of course, that's in a perfect world where This Is It would have actually gone forward.

I agree with you Raw, I think Michael had to make his presence known again before he released an album. The TII shows would have been a huge boost for Michael and would have catapulted him on top of the music world again, which would then be great timing to release an album after this.

For me it make sense that he wanted to do the shows first.
He could do what he wanted to do, he said no to AEG before but this time he wanted to the shows.
The announcement of the shows became tv-news in lots of countries but I think a release of an album would probably get a notice in the newspaper and nothing more.

I think he would release the album after the first part of the shows were ready and when he had began the second part in january he would have performed some new songs in the shows.

no not really. obviously an album wasnt finished and he had no record deal at that time. AEG had been pressuring him for the last coouple of years to do the shows.so he decided to do it b4 moving onto new things. whether a new album would have seen the light of day who knows

I think he need money...
if he needed quick money he could have done a couple of interviews and made upto 20 mill. he had refinaced in the previous couple of years were all his debts were being paid and he had recived a huge lump some of cash as part of the deal.

the success of the album will be in the hands of the critics , markets and music companies...but the sucess of the tour is in the hands of the fans....MJ trusted his fans and this is why the tour was his way of huge comeback !

also, Mj worked for 3 years to find strong material but it seems there was nothing very big for a comeback..or it was no ready yet...so it was safer and faster to tour , time was moving fast and he was 50 years !

another thing, some fans said that according to his deal with Sony , MJ can't make albums with another lable until 2011 , and this is why the contract with AEG ends a year after the realse of any potential album with them !

Last edited:
let's just say that the way MJ sounded on the o2 press conference stage was nothing like MJ sounded when he, for instance introduced Invincible. he was enthusiastic about Invincible. and let's just say, Sony wasn't supporting MJ doing new material. that's all i'm gunna say.

another thing, some fans said that according to his deal with Sony , MJ can't make albums with another lable until 2011 , and this is why the contract with AEG ends a year after the realse of any potential album with them !
mjs contract ran in with sony in 03 there was nothing to stop him from releasing. maybe u are thinking of the masters issue

mj was hardly excited re vince when he knew what was going on with mottola.sony have nothing to do with the shows

Back