Volcanic ash from Iceland closes British airports

moonstreet

Guests
http://uk.travel.yahoo.com/p-promo-3311661

Volcanic ash from Iceland closes British airports

By Alastair Jamieson

All flights to British airspace have been suspended after ash caused by the eruption of a volcano in Iceland forced air traffic controllers to restrict takeoffs and landings.

Hundreds of flights have already been cancelled, and airports in Scotland, northern England and Northern Ireland shut down, with the ash cloud forecast to spread southward towards London, causing more disruption.

Air traffic controllers in Brussels in charge of strategic management of flights across Europe have issued warnings to pilots that all UK airspace is closed for incoming flights until further notice and London airspace will be completely closed between 11am and at least 7pm.

Ryanair has cancelled all flights to and from Britain and warned of cancellations and delays tomorrow. British Airways has cancelled all domestic flights for the whole of today.

Oslo airport has closed and flights to and from other parts of northern Europe have also been disrupted.

Forecasters believe the ash could take a number of days to disperse, although it is not known how long disruption to air space will last.

Volcanic ash, which consists of the pulverised rock and glass created by the eruptions, can jam aircraft machinery if a plane flies through the plume, shutting down the engines.

Ash can also be sucked into the cabin itself, contaminating the passengers' environment as well as damaging the plane's electronic systems.

Find out more: Volcanic ash Q&A

The disruption could go on for some time," said Dr Steve Bond, lecturuer in aircraft operations at City University London. "It depends on how long the eruption goes on for and weather conditions.

"When there was an eruption over Java in 1982 an aircraft ran into difficulties 19 days after a British Airways plane had problems.

"There is a risk of engine failure because of the ash. The problem with aircraft radar is that it is designed to pick up clouds of moisture and it won't detect ash. This is why you have to take precautions and keep aircraft out of the area.

"Even if in a best case scenario it clears after one day, there will still be disruption because aircraft will be in the wrong place and crew will be in the wrong place. There will also be a backlog of passengers to clear."

Meanwhile British Airways said passengers whose flights had been cancelled because of the ash could rebook at a another date or claim a refund. Edinburgh, Glasgow and Aberdeen airports are closed until further notice and passengers are advised not to travel to the terminals.

The measures forced Liberal Democrat treasury spokesman Vince Cable to cancel planned campaign visits to Dunfermline and Edinburgh on Thursday.

At Southampton, Bristol and Newquay airports, some flights are arriving normally but there are many cancellations, with domestic flights and those from Scotland and northern England worst affected.

A spokeswoman for easyJet, which has cancelled dozens of flights at Luton and Scottish airports, said: "Following the eruption of a volcano in Iceland yesterday, an ash plume has entered UK and Scandinavian airspace overnight.

"As a result NATS have closed parts of UK airspace and this is causing significant disruption to all airlines due to operate flights to and from the UK today.

"EasyJet passengers are advised to check the website before they leave for the airport for any disruption information."

Heathrow's second biggest scheduled airline, bmi, has cancelled all flights between London and Scotland until later today. It said: "We recommend that customers whose journey is not essential book for an alternate date. Customers who have booked and are still intending to travel should consult the flight status page for the latest information."

Matt Dobson, a forecaster for MeteoGroup, the weather division of the Press Association, said: "The concern is that as well as the eruption, the jet stream passing through Iceland is passing in a south easterly direction, which will bring ash to the north of Scotland and Denmark and Norway. But it is impossible to say how much ash will come down. It could be a threat in these areas from now until tomorrow or Friday."

A spokesman from Nats said: "The Volcanic Ash Advisory Centre has issued a forecast that the ash cloud from the volcanic eruption in Iceland will track over Europe tonight.

"NATS is working with Eurocontrol and our colleagues in Europe's other air navigation service providers to take the appropriate action to ensure safety in accordance with international aviation policy."

Weather forecasters said the ash plume could drift over British airspace during the night, causing significant disruption to services. The movement of the plume, which has been drifting eastwards, is being monitored by both the Met Office and NATS, the air traffic control service.

There have been a number of incidents where aircraft have reported damage from ash, including one involving a British Airways Boeing 747 in June 1982.

The aircraft ran into difficulties after the eruption of a volcano at Galunggung, Indonesia. Ash jammed all four engines briefly, and the aircraft plummeted 24,000 feet before they could be restarted.

Because of the threat to aviation, a global early warning system, known as the International Airways Volcano Watch, has been established. Iceland is considered as particularly vulnerable to volcanic disruption.

Authorities there yesterday evacuated 800 residents from around the Eyjafjallajokull glacier as water gushed down the mountainside and rivers rose by up to 10 feet (3 meters).

The Eyjafjallajökull volcano erupted for the first time in 200 years on March 20, in a dramatic display that sent fountains of lava spewing into the air.

The first eruption did not trigger any major flooding, as was initially feared, because the active vents were in a mainly ice-free part of the volcano.

But Tuesday's eruption came from a different vent beneath a 650-ft (200m) thick block of ice, unleashing a torrent of glacial meltwa

This is really bad :( First time I really remember something like this happening :-/ It's gonna be really quiet around my area near heathrow plus sandwiched between two RAF bases so won't hear any private jets taking off at all. Hope all planes in the air already land safely.

Now all the airports in Finland are closed too because of the spreading ash cloud. The main airport at Helsinki-Vantaa I think was the last one to be kept open, but was also closed at midnight. All of them will be closed at least 'til tomorrow 3 pm.

Satellite photo:

_47652360_ash.jpg

I have little knowledge on geographical subject. But Iceland, does this country has a history of volcanic eruption or sort of ? It's a strange phenomenon

yes there have been volcano eruptions here quite a lot.. there was a very big one here in 1963 (I think?) and an island was created because of it.. I also think that Iceland was "born" because of volcano eruption..

its so weird that this eruption is causing all of this, cause I live near the volcano ( a few hours by car) and I dont notice anything different lol, but thats because of the wind, if it changes there will be ash here everywhere!

yes there have been volcano eruptions here quite a lot.. there was a very big one here in 1963 (I think?) and an island was created because of it.. I also think that Iceland was "born" because of volcano eruption..

its so weird that this eruption is causing all of this, cause I live near the volcano ( a few hours by car) and I dont notice anything different lol, but thats because of the wind, if it changes there will be ash here everywhere!

How's local media reporting it all?

How's local media reporting it all?

Pretty much the same as like skynews ( I have been following what they are talking about ) the news are much about the flood right now (from the glacier, where the volcano is), its getting bigger and has cut the main road in the area in half, also a lot about the evacuation and how to save the animals in the farms around there.. now they are talking about the wind changing, it should change direction tomorrow I think.

Aren't almost all northern European airports closed now? Too bad for those who were about to leave for a holiday and can't go now :(

Now all the airports in Finland are closed too because of the spreading ash cloud. The main airport at Helsinki-Vantaa I think was the last one to be kept open, but was also closed at midnight. All of them will be closed at least 'til tomorrow 3 pm.

I'm glad I managed to come back from France on Thursday before the cloud came here. I didn't even know about this news until the plane had already landed and I saw from tv that half of Finland's air space is closed.

Thanks for all the information everyone :) appreciate it..
Yes.. nature is fury. It is getting a bit aggressive lately. There were already 3-4 earthquakes even not major one but they killed !

is it revenge for icesave lol aslong as its gone by a month tomorrow

my mum and dad are meant to be going to spain in the morning, duno if they will be allowed to take the flight!

Hope everything clears up and the airports re-open.

I'm due to go to Cyprus on Sunday but not sure if they'll be any flights.

Heathrow keep changing the times on their website for planes and scheduals to resume....it was 7pm tonight then they said 1am and now they're saying 7am tomorrow morning, so who knows?!

It's all very scary stuff.......we've had a few natural desasters in the past few months with earthquakes and now this volcano.

my mum and dad are meant to be going to spain in the morning, duno if they will be allowed to take the flight!
Hopefully they'll be able to fly. Airports here in Holland remain closed until tomorrow morning at least.

It's quite frightening, all these disasters that are happening. I once heard that 1 or 2 each year is quite 'normal'....but the past year so much has happened it has made me believe that nature is angry with us.

is it revenge for icesave lol aslong as its gone by a month tomorrow

haha that was very popular joke on facebook yesterday.. like this one: "Britain: WTF Iceland?!? Why did you send us volcanic ash ? Our airspace has shut down. Iceland: What ? It's what you asked for isn't it ? Britain: NO! Cash! Cash you dyslexic ****. CASH! Iceland: woooops.. There is no C in the Icelandic alphabet, so when you ask for Cash, all you get is Ash..."

..and all sorts of (c)ash jokes

..I hope that this situation will not last for long and that people will be able to fly again soon! I feel so sorry for those who have had their flights cancelled :(

My auntie and 2 cousins are stuck in Cyprus (well they have a house there, so they're not exactly stuck) But they were due to fly back on Sunday afternoon with Cyprus Airways and the airline have already told them that their flight has been cancelled. So my 2 little cousins will miss their first day back to school on Monday after the easter break...............Me and my family are suppose to be flying out of Heathrow to Cyprus on Sunday night but that doesnt look like its gonna happen.

Pretty much the same as like skynews ( I have been following what they are talking about ) the news are much about the flood right now (from the glacier, where the volcano is), its getting bigger and has cut the main road in the area in half, also a lot about the evacuation and how to save the animals in the farms around there.. now they are talking about the wind changing, it should change direction tomorrow I think.

How is the evacuation going?Are the animals saved now?

haha that was very popular joke on facebook yesterday.. like this one: "Britain: WTF Iceland?!? Why did you send us volcanic ash ? Our airspace has shut down. Iceland: What ? It's what you asked for isn't it ? Britain: NO! Cash! Cash you dyslexic ****. CASH! Iceland: woooops.. There is no C in the Icelandic alphabet, so when you ask for Cash, all you get is Ash..."

..and all sorts of (c)ash jokes

..I hope that this situation will not last for long and that people will be able to fly again soon! I feel so sorry for those who have had their flights cancelled :(
Haha here in Holland we had the same joke:

Iceland, we want Cash, not Ash! :doh: :lol:

How is the evacuation going?Are the animals saved now?

the evacuation went well! but the people had to leave in such a hurry that some of them had to leave without gettin their animals inside :( But as soon as they could, they came back and saved them, so I think that all the animals are ok now :)

edit: just learned that apparantly there are some animals still outside, and its hard to get to them because of the ash :(

Haha here in Holland we had the same joke:

Iceland, we want Cash, not Ash! :doh: :lol:

:lol: haha thats funny! (lol I´ve been thinking these past days, how much damage can one tiny country do :lol: )

Last edited:
Airports in Finland will stay closed til sunday 3pm at least.

My sister is stuck in Bangkok.

The weather forecast tells we can expect a new ash cloud above Finland today.

Ive been trying to go from Ireland to London since thursday. Each day m flight has been cancelled and Ive been rebooking a new one. I am now booked on a flight for Monday, but as all flights from Dublin for Sunday 18 april have been cancelled its doubtful whther I will fly on Monday. I have also booked a ferry and a train for tuesday, so whatever happens, I least I can get back to London on Tuesday.

For anyone planning to travel in the next week or so, my advice is to
1. Check the live departure information for your airport on line
2. Check your airlines website
3. If your flight is cancelled ring your airline immediatly. You will be offered to either rebook your flight at no extra charge or to get a refund.
4. Keep checking with your airline, as they have more accurate information than whats online. One time when I rang to check the status of my flight, they said it was due to be cancelled and rebooked me, where as online it wasnt cancelled yet.

Over here in Holland travel agencies are being flooded with calls from people whose trips have been cancelled. They want us to book new trips for them leaving today or tomorrow...or the day after. All trips have been fully booked for months........so I don't know why they think we can find some new trips for them just like that. It's crazy, I don't understand why these people can't just wait until this is over and THEN book a new trip.......if ya plane ain't flyin' today, it ain't flyin' tomorrow! LOL

Latest news today from http://www.rte.ie/news/2010/0418/travelupdates.html

14.40 The closure of Dutch airspace has been extended to at least 7pm today Irish time, the transport ministry said.

14.26 Iarnród Éireann has advised customers of the following schedule alterations today on the Rosslare Europort-Dublin rail line.

The 17.40 Rosslare Europort to Dublin will be deferred to depart at 18.40, and operate one hour later throughout.

An additional service will also run from Rosslare Europort to Dublin this evening following the above altered service, and will depart when all ferry passengers are accommodated.

Iarnród Éireann thanks customers for their cooperation with these arrangements.

UK & European ferry/rail bookings
Customers wishing to make bookings from Ireland to the UK and Europe via rail and ferry services this week can contact Iarnród Éireann's European Rail Reservations section (Monday to Friday, 9am-5pm) at:
1850 366222

14.23 This week's Champions League semi-final first legs will go ahead as scheduled despite the current restriction on European air travel, UEFA have confirmed.

14.06 Two German airlines have criticised aviation authorities for not taking more account of test flights carried out to assess the safety of flying through the volcanic ash cloud.

'We are amazed that the results of the test flights done by Lufthansa and Air Berlin have not had any bearing on the decision-making of the air safety authorities,' Air Berlin Chief Executive Joachim Hunold said.

13.38 The Naval Service has been requested by the HSE to be prepared to transfer children in need of transplant operations to the UK by sea if required.

13.12 Europe's largest tourism company, TUI has said it has started collecting German holidaymakers in Spain to bring them home by bus.

12.55 Maurice Mullen of the Department of Transport has said restrictions on air travel are likely to remain for most of this week.

Mr Mullen said Irish embassies and consulates are reporting increased inquiries from Irish citizens stranded overseas, some concerning travel and some concerning financial issues.

12.50 The European aviation control agency, Eurocontrol, has said that a total of 63,000 flights had been cancelled in European airspace since Thursday. It said only 4,000 flights are expected in Europe today.

12.38 Scandinavian airline SAS has said all its flights will remain grounded until Tuesday with the exception of some flights from the US and a handful of flights in northern Norway.

12.37 An Post say things are 'holding up very well' at the moment. The company is using ferries to transport mail to the UK and sais anything posted up until Friday is on its way to its destination.

12.35 A Facebook group, Carpool Europe, has been set up to help those stuck in Europe. It says people can 'use this page to hitch a ride or offer a ride with your car'.

12.30 Ryanair has said it will make a further announcement on flights tomorrow and Tuesday at about 3pm today.

12.22 British Airways has cancelled all its flights on Monday. 'All long-haul and short-haul and domestic - every single flight is cancelled,' a BA spokesman said.

12.20 The European Commission has said it is setting up a group to assess the economic impact of the crisis and said any steps taken across the EU needed to be properly coordinated.

12.15 Aer Lingus has confirmed that all UK, European and US flights scheduled to depart tomorrow have been cancelled. This includes Aer Lingus Regional flights.

12.10 Minister for Transport Noel Dempsey has said there is no evidence to suggest that any falling ash is a danger to people's health.

Minister Dempsey also said stranded passengers should stay in contact with their embassies and their carriers.

12.00 Siobhan Moore of the Dublin Airport Authority has once again said that passengers should not turn up at the airport and should contact their airlines.

11.30 Romania reopened its airspace for transiting overflights. However, Prime Minister Emil Boc said take-offs and landings at its airports remain suspended.

11.12 Switzerland has extended its ban on commercial flights at its airports until tomorrow at 1pm.

However, aircraft overflying Switzerland at altitudes exceeding 36,000 feet (11,000 metres) will be allowed, along with low-level flights operated visually rather than by instruments.

11.10 The disruption could effect sporting fixtures if it continues next week. European football's governing body UEFA is monitoring the situation ahead of the semi-finals of the Champions League and Europa League.

11.05 Dutch airline KLM has said a test flight it carried out yesterday had revealed no engine damage or other problems from volcanic ash and it would run a further nine test flights.

A spokesman said: 'We have not found anything unusual and no irregularities, which indicates the atmosphere is clean and safe to fly.'

10.50 Italy's civil aviation authority (ENAC) has authorised a test flight today to assess the risk from volcanic ash from Iceland.

10.45 KLM Royal Dutch Airlines conducted a test flight from Amsterdam to Dusseldorf this morning to measure the impact of volcanic ash on aircraft. Its engines were fitted with filters that will be checked for ash particles.

10.30 Poland reopened its airspace at 3am but only for planes overflying the country, the spokesman for the Polish air traffic control agency said.

'The cloud of volcanic ash has moved lower, which means that the sky above is becoming clear,' said Grzegorz Hlebowicz.

10.15 Air France is to conduct a test flight over southwestern France later today to test the presence of volcanic ash in that section of the country.

France will close the last airports remaining open at 1pm as the cloud of volcanic ash moves south.

The civil aviation authority said the last airports remaining open in the southwest, such as Toulouse, Montpellier and Biarritz, would close for commercial traffic.

as for me, my flight tomorrow has been cancelled, so I am now finally travelling to London on tuesday by ferry.

So much chaos because airplanes can't fly..
haha exactly. People are mad because they can't go on holiday.....while there's people that can't even afford food, let alone a holiday.

Oh well :mello:

Back