Vitiligo: Scientists Unravel Causes of Mysterious Skin Disease

MsMo

Proud Member
Newswise — Scientists including researchers from the University of Florida have discovered additional evidence that generalized vitiligo — a disease that typically causes patches of white skin on the face, neck and extremities that pop star Michael Jackson may have experienced — is associated with slight variations in genes that play a role in the body’s natural defenses.

Writing in today’s (Sunday, June 6) Nature Genetics, scientists describe how they found variations in 10 genes associated with the body’s immune response in people with vitiligo. Normally an immune response is a good thing, but with vitiligo, cells that guard the body apparently become too aggressive, killing pigment-producing cells called melanocytes that give color to skin.

The findings point toward the idea that there are multiple cellular pathways that may contribute to the onset and progression of vitiligo, which makes fully understanding the disease complicated, but it also gives scientists a variety of starting points to begin developing therapies.

“Generalized vitiligo is a complex disorder that involves not just genetics, not just the environment, but a combination of factors,” said Margaret “Peggy” Wallace, a professor of molecular genetics and microbiology and a member of the UF Genetics Institute and the Center for Epigenetics. “A number of different targets for therapies probably exist. As we do more research on the pathways underlying vitiligo, we can begin figuring out ways to interrupt them. This could present an opportunity to practice personalized medicine, in which therapies are tailored to people with different genetic susceptibilities.”

Vitiligo affects between 1 million and 2 million people in the United States, according to the National Institute of Arthritis and Musculoskeletal and Skin Diseases. It has been widely reported that the late pop star Jackson coped with the disease during his career. In addition to producing blotches of white skin, vitiligo can cause patches of hair to turn white or drain the color from the mucous membranes of the mouth. Some vitiligo patients are more likely to have other autoimmune diseases.

“Vitiligo may not get the attention it should because it is not life-threatening, but that’s not much consolation for people who have the disorder,” said Wayne McCormack, an associate professor of pathology, immunology and laboratory medicine and associate dean for graduate education with the College of Medicine. “It has a huge psychological effect on people. We live in a society that places value on personal appearance, and anyone who looks different, children in particular, can be made to feel very self-conscious and uncomfortable.”

Researchers, led by Dr. Richard Spritz, director of the Human Medical Genetics Program at the University of Colorado School of Medicine, identified genes that increase the risk for vitiligo by studying the complete sets of DNA, known as genomes, of more than 1,500 people who have the disease compared with the genomes of similar people without the disease.

The latest findings point in part to the Fox family of genes, which are known to regulate gene expression and function in T cells and other molecular infection fighters in the body. In May, the research team published findings in The New England Journal of Medicine implicating several other genes involved in other autoimmune diseases in which immune cells mistake normal parts of the body for invaders, as well as a gene that may uniquely target the mistaken immune response to melanocytes in the skin.

The work was funded by grants from the National Institutes of Health with encouragement from Vitiligo Support International, the Vitiligo Society, the National Vitiligo Foundation, the American Vitiligo Research Foundation and Associazione Ricerca Informazione per la Vitiligine. Vitiligo research at UF is supported by grants from the American Vitiligo Research Foundation.

http://www.newswise.com/articles/scientists-unravel-causes-of-mysterious-skin-disease

Last edited:
Good find. I know a few people with this disease.

Thanks for posting. Its good there is research being done :)

well..it's an ongoing discovery type of thing...and it still feels like you're left with questions..and they kinda subtly suggest that vitiligo may not be what MJ had..and i'm guessing it's cus he said it. and, i've found that despite testing mass people, that doesn't ultimately, necessarily determine how it may affect an individual. i guess they got a lot of help from getting their Michael mention on, twice..and they know it. but if it will help more people...cool.

I saw a guy on the bus, who had vitiligo, but he was almost completely white. But surprisingly he looked very normal. I wonder if that is what people mean when they say that about MJ. I had never seen it that extensive in anyone, and thought it might make a person seem weird. But my own ignorance was proven wrong. A few people said when they saw MJ in person, he looked normal. It's sad when you are not exposed to something and allow your lack of experience allow you to let someone else shape your view. but now that I know, I know.

But I am happy they are making strides against this. Prejudice can be very ugly. And, when you have no choice, and people ascribe to you motives that are not there, it has to make it that much more difficult.

when i was a kid, my father had an employed who had vitiligo. Nice guy. He always wore a baseball hat and long sleeves no matter how hot the weather was, to protect him from the sun.

well..it's an ongoing discovery type of thing...and it still feels like you're left with questions..and they kinda subtly suggest that vitiligo may not be what MJ had..and i'm guessing it's cus he said it. and, i've found that despite testing mass people, that doesn't ultimately, necessarily determine how it may affect an individual. i guess they got a lot of help from getting their Michael mention on, twice..and they know it. but if it will help more people...cool.

the michael may have had it stuff is the usual article BS but the actual science of what they are saying is good stuff. Progress. The testing of lots of people is awesome news, it takes a lot of money to do genone wide analysis but it needs to be done, vitiligo is shaping up to be highly complex and variable between individuals that is why the move must be towards personalised diagnosis and treatment. For this, all the 'risk alleles' need to be known to build a profile of the disease. We need to know how many it takes, what combination gives rise to what type of vitiligo, what the mode of action is, how this can be messed with.

Quite a lot more research to do with the cause and not just improvement of treatments is happening recently, several suspect areas of the genome have been identified this year alone. Things are looking up and moving forward, I know a couple of people involved in this area and they say its picking up a lot of new leads.

A guy in my family has it. He is actually north-african colored, but because of the diseas, just white all over, like Michael.

“It has a huge psychological effect on people. We live in a society that places value on personal appearance, and anyone who looks different, children in particular, can be made to feel very self-conscious and uncomfortable.”

Now add to that, that Michael was not an average person but the most famous person on the planet......imagine how it feels to know that the whole world is judging you for something you cannot help.

Last edited:
Very good information. I actually know of someone who has Vitiligo too, and he isn't black either. It's so sad Michael had to deal with this on top of everything else. :( There really ought to be more awareness for this disorder.

Interesting read, thanks for posting.
I can honestly say I have never personally seen somebody in person with vitiligo. I possibly could have but just didn't know they had it or whatever but I always wondered if there was some kind of cure for this disease. I hope one day they find one.

We live in a society that places value on personal appearance, and anyone who looks different, children in particular, can be made to feel very self-conscious and uncomfortable.”

Sadly, this is true. I can't imagine what Michael or anybody with this disease had/has to go through. :(

Back