Visiting 2300 Jackson Street:Gary,Indiana

~Lindsey~

Guests
So I'm doing a year abroad studying in America but I'm hoping to do some travelling whilst I'm out there and I was wondering if there are fans on MJJC who have visited the house at 2300 Jackson Street in Gary, Indiana and could share their experiences. Did you find it easily, was it worth it, any recommendations, directions etc.

I havnt been there:no:because I cant get on a plane because no airline will allow my wheelchair on:sad:

I've driven by 2300 Jackson St. in Gary. Personally, I don't think it's worth a special trip. Gary isn't a tourist destination - it's very run-down and there's not much to do other than look at Jackson related buildings. Also, it's not very safe to walk around by yourself.

I know that other people have been to Gary, and they enjoyed it. Here's a very nice, detailed description of JMie's trip to Cleveland, Detroit, and Gary: http://www.mjjcommunity.com/forum/showthread.php?t=96091

Do you have any interest in seeing Chicago? There are tons of things to do in Chicago (museums, shopping, shows, restaurants), and it's not too far from Gary. I think that there are bus trips from Chicago to Gary that will take you by 2300 Jackson St. and other places that are important in Jackson family history.

Last edited:
Back