Visa Pre- Paid Gift Charge Card. My dad wants to buy ...

BillieJean84

Proud Member
visa pre paid gift charge - Can someone explain this to me? Do I need a good credit score? Will I get billed each time I use it??

my dad wants to buy it for me but I'm scared because I have no $$ in the bank except for just school money. Help!!

as far as I know u load/charge money on it whenever u want to it's prepaid if u havent got any money u will not be able to use it if it isn't loaded. To my knowledge they don't look at ur credit score but I'm not sure though

If it is a gift card, you can only spend the amount of money in the card itself. I've used them loads of times to buy stuff off the internet back when I didn't have a debit card. Do not worry about it. I don't even think you can recharge it--it says quite clearly that the visa gift card is neither a debit nor a credit card. Since you're not a member of the bank, they can't possibly charge you overdraft fees.

The only funds available for you will be those in the card itself. i.e. If you have a $50 dollar VISA gift card, you will only be able to spend $50, not a penny more, literally. Anything that's above $50 will be declined for insufficient funds, the same way your purchase would be declined if you had a debit card with insufficient funds. You cannot possibly overdraft with a gift card, though, because there is no bank to loan you the money for overdraft protection, so you would have to pay the remainder of the sum in cash, or any other form of payment besides the gift card, if your purchase exceeds the amount left on the gift card. i.e. You want a pair of gloves that's $56, but your VISA gift card only has $50. If you tried paying with the card alone, your purchase would be denied due to insufficient funds. If you want the gloves, you would have to charge the $50 on the card and pay $6 with cash or in some other way.

This is different from a debit card because, if you have overdraft protection provided by your bank, the purchase would still go through--you would just be charged overdraft fees, etc. But that's extraneous information.

Long story short--a VISA gift card has nothing to do with, and will not affect, your credit. That's why they give them away at raffles all the time lol. Moreover, even a 12 year old could buy a VISA gift card--they're harmless.

If you are talking about a reloadable VISA prepaid card, this link would be helpful for you:

http://blog.giftcardrescue.com/difference-between-visa-reloadable-prepaid-card-and-visa-gift-card/

Either way--you cannot overdraft or spend more money than is issued in the card. Credit has nothing to do with either of those cards, and for the reloadable prepaid card, you would need to be 18 years old, and have a government ID (I.E. a state ID or driver's license.) That's it.

Best of luck!

Last edited:
Back