Virtually Unemployable?

Severus Snape

Proud Member
**Warning: Major Rant up ahead. Pets and small children should probably escape ASAP, along with anyone else whose mental faculties remain intact [unlike mine]. Excuse my asinine comments, but this is just the way I feel at the current moment, and I have nowhere else to vent.**

So, I've applied to the last place which had me as a part-time employee before I left to go to school. No luck, despite my calling them back and everything. The manager had told me that she was looking for more long-term labour than what I was able to offer, so I am not surprised at the lack of ringing telephones in my Haus. I will probably be overlooked, and some schmoe with more time on his hands will be given the undesirable position anyway.

I went to CraigsList to see any possible alternatives, and thus far no luck. I have no marketable skills. I can write. I can draw. I can research. Yet, who needs these on a day-to-day basis? If anything, writing and drawing are commodities in this world--the world won't stop turning if artists were to disappear off the face of the planet, but it would if, say, all plumbers were to be raptured in a great plumberocalypse as ordained by their water god Dönitz. Imagine a world with no plumbers, no electricians, no mechanics. It'd be utter chaos, no matter how many d***bags with bachelor's or master's degrees in useless liberal arts majors [exactly the thing I signed up for] you have.

The only way you could ever really make any money off going to college is by investing in a useful and perpetually in demand major, such as medicine/law, or making yourself useful in the field of science, which is also ever-changing, so "fresh blood" always needs to be recruited to update all drives, so to speak.

However, liberal arts are, for the most part, f***ing useless. I actually thought working for a professor would be beneficial for my job hunt, but it turns out it's not as impressive as I thought it would be--at all. It makes sense, from a business perspective: you'd be better-advised to hire the kid with the two or so years of full time labour under his belt and good recommendations from managers, rather than hire some college brat with a useless degree and no marketable/useful skills whatsoever who thinks it swell to have a goddamn professor [a more grown-up and even more useless version of the useless brat] recommend him to a goddamn company that has its wage slaves stock bloody shelves for Christ's sake!

"Oh, well, he writes great essays and understands the importance of historical events, can interpret literature, etc." "Well, that's great and dandy...but pray tell, how in god's Earth is that even halfway relevant to stocking the shelves full of Heinz ketchup and ringing up a leviathan-size grocery order for some hag who can't even bother to bag her own s**t?! Are they well-versed in the fine art of determining whether the store takes certain coupons? Do they know what a WIC is, or how to process government-issued food stamps? HAVE THEY SEEN B.O.B.?!?!" [The latter being an acronym for "bottom of the basket," as it is known that shoplifters will often try to smuggle unpaid goods via the bottom slot on the shopping cart].

It never occurred to me just how utterly useless and unmarketable my "talents" are. We're living in a society which requires a useless piece of paper to vouch for one's critical thinking abilities, yet the majority of the people who own said piece of paper have absolutely no idea what it means to think critically, and only regurgitate useless information in the format their professors stuffed it down their throat with.

There was some guy who was interested in hiring a ghost writer for his novel. His writing sucks, so I am sure I could impress him, but will I be up to par with the others, is the question. I'm nowhere near motivated enough to want to do anything, for him or otherwise. I'm too reluctant to be disappointed even more, truth be told.

I did reply to an ad from a retired history professor who was looking for a volunteer editor for his short stories and novels. The position is voluntary, meaning there is no payment involved, but I replied simply because I thought it'd be interesting to get to know someone like that. He happens to live in he same town I do, so perhaps this will work out to both our advantages--he gets a halfway decent editor and I get some worthwhile non-virtual company during the long and already painfully disappointing summer.

He posted the ad ages ago, though, so I don't know if he's still looking for an editor. Probably not, is the guess I'd venture, seeing as I have yet to get a response.

It really doesn't help that no one is hiring. The only other local place that is hiring is a bank, but they want someone to work full-time and on the long-term, meaning if I take the job, I would have to forget about school [probably a good idea, since college is the biggest scam ever]. However, my brother will probably get that job over me since his major is Business Administration, and the bank is obviously going to favour that over some stupid liberal arts history major.

It was really a huge mistake to choose history as a major. They always tell you to choose what you love to do, but loving your major isn't going to put bread on the table. The most sober advice would be to tell brats not to go to college altogether, unless they plan on being lawyers/doctors/scientists, which really are the only lucrative jobs which make the years of toil and accumulated debt worthwhile. It makes more sense to go stock shelves at Wal-Mart straight out of high school, than to go to college for four years, get a useless major you "love," and end up stocking shelves at Wal-Mart with four years' worth of debt and virtually no real-world work experience to vouch for your stocking ability. Oh, but you can write. god knows you can write... yeah, make that über-thesis about the importance of 18th century Enlightenment-era values while you're slicing those bits of ham and cheese at the Deli, and try not to let the fact that you're basically an indentured servant unto death because of your student loans get to your head. Otherwise, you'll start reaching for the Lüger again, and you don't want to end up in the hospital like Onkel Charlie....

I really am so sorry for ever going there to begin with. The professors tell you lies about your future, about how they see potential, or think you're going to do great things, ought to go to Harvard, or some other meaningless bulls**t that really has no value whatsoever. I think they just like to stroke your ego for a bit so you get attached to them, and when you least expect it--bam, the Great Betrayal comes!

"Et tu, Brute? Then fall, Caesar!"

Perhaps I'm going slightly mad, but I have had at least one of those goddamn bottom-feeders we call college professors tell me such things, and I can just see his sadistic smile just knowing the torment I am undergoing because of the decisions I've made. I don't know whatever I did in a past life...but the whole lot of it doesn't warrant such torture! Not even Dr. Phil and his small animals would approve!

Even if he meant well...look at the state of things. I don't even know whether to believe him or not--I mean, they're a biased party. They get paid if students stay, so of course they're not going to recommend you drop out, even if you're the most unworthy neanderthal out of the whole sorry lot! The question is: why do they all do this to me? Ach, ja! To make money! That's why. Anything for money.

But what now? Too late to learn a trade. Why was I born being good at such useless things!? Why couldn't I have been blessed with "a knack for fixing machines?" What do I have that is marketable or even slightly appealing to anyone outside the d****bag club of college profs? Nothing. That's what. Nothing.

How dare he even believe in me. I'm sure he was high when he said all of that. Either high, or bats**t insane! Neither one would surprise me at this point. Perhaps he just likes watching pathetic students suffer--you know, the whole "lift them up high before you send them plunging to their deaths" thing. He seemed so honest, and he said he cared about me. I believe none of it. What I ought to do is just get out of the whole sorry college thing, and hope that my enrollment hasn't done irreparable damage to my finances. Fat bloody chance.

Good god what have I done?! What have I done!? I'm going to starve to death, simultaneously suffocated by a great avalanche of debt, which shall rise beyond my eyeballs. It's all our beautiful system--the American dream!

Last edited:
You are the not the only one. I'm at uni at the moment..doing ofcourse one of those liberal arts subjects, I enjoy it but I'm not sure whether its going to get me anywhere once I've finished-and ofcourse we are paying for this course which might not get us anywhere, the only thing I keep reminding myself is that had I not started a uni course at the end of 4 years I might be working on a deli counter that I hate and not progressed any further.
I love how you are told to get as much work experience as possible...yet hardly anyone will take you on.
They tell you to get as involved as possible in everything...and get a high classification of a degree, thats more work than someone working full time.

I'm sure you can take courses in other fields? Other qualifications? or what about an online course or an open uni thing?

Hon, I understand, believe me. "Brains" that cannot immediately employed for immediate profit (or fairly immediate) such as research are regarded as 'luxury' in our society. Or as you put it- 'fresh blood'.
I hear ya. Or "when Skandinavistik Profs have to drive a cab." Yup.

I love how you are told to get as much work experience as possible...yet hardly anyone will take you on.
They tell you to get as involved as possible in everything...and get a high classification of a degree, thats more work than someone working full time.

No kidding. I love how "get as much work experience as possible" usually translates to everyone being able to hire highly, highly qualified people for a BUCK- as an intern. Unpaid, or for 300 dollars a month or something equally ridiculous. Yeah.

Hey, it's like being a musician. Everyone loves music, especially LIVE music. But then musicians are almost always expected to nearly pay for the privilege to perform for you. :rofl::doh:

Thank you all for your reply.

@DanceofLorelei: The whole point is to not get further into debt than I already am, though. Taking those extra "courses" would be counterproductive to my goal, not always a guarantee that they will contribute to anything at all, but always a guarantee that I'll sink further in the depths of debt Hell. Besides, history is really the only thing I'm good at, and it's kind of a crappy major, career-wise. It's really too bad. Considering where my prof. graduated from, and where he's teaching now, and how brilliant he is, well... it doesn't look good. ^^;

@Pace: Yeah. Ridiculous, isn't it?

Unfortunately this is a global issue.The young intellectuals from many countries are facing the same problems.

I guess we don't need to nourish our spirit anymore.All we need is to fill up our stomach.

Can't you go into teaching? Teaching History?

Yeah, that's what I'm planning on doing to begin with. However, that won't be available to me until I graduate, and if I want to become a college professor, I need at least a master's, and preferably a doctorate. As of right now, the competition for teaching jobs is very intense, especially in higher education, as this is pretty much the only consistent thing both English and History majors can do.

Unfortunately this is a global issue.The young intellectuals from many countries are facing the same problems.

I guess we don't need to nourish our spirit anymore.All we need is to fill up our stomach.

I would by no means consider myself an intellectual. If I were intelligent, I wouldn't be stuck in such a sorry situation to begin with, now would I? :p

I'm sure you can get a job at a museum. Right?

Sure, in theory. However, we don't have too many museums in the area, and they're not exactly the most lucrative/dependent places to get a job. It would depend what kind of history I am studying too. I'm looking to teach Third Reich history at the university level. A museum would not exactly fit my plans, unless it was the D.C. Holocaust museum, but can you imagine the competition to work there? With that said, I would prefer teaching rather than working at a museum, strangely enough. I want one of those little cubicles, and I want to be called "professor so and so," etc. Vain, I know, but the guy I basically admire and adore is a prof. so that's kind of like what I want to be someday too. Even if it means selling out to the wretched system, and becoming part of the problem.

oh Boy ;) I certainly know how you feel... I answered to your topic... "Oh, that's me..." I'm "virtually Unemployable" too...
If they *** with 'healthy' peeps like that... See how they treat 'invalids'...
The world has gone 'bonkers' ...
They demand too much or either wants you to work like a 'robot' with NO own opinions and beliefs... Just bust your butt off for 8 hours and more and thats it... They can live in 'luxury' :doh: and you should be 'lucky' to have a job... Gee, I HATE this *** world...

NEVER give up though... ALWAYS think POSITIVE! You're GOOD at something... That's what I learnt from Gaz

The simple fact is that not enough young people are given a chance in the World............

..........and there are too many oldies who are unwilling retire or take a pay cut so that there are more positions available.............

Another problem is that people too often label today's youngsters as lazy and work-shy.................

..........but these same people would rather make a young graduate work for free (internships / slavery) when they already know that graduates have a mountain of debt to pay...........

I know.....I graduated two years ago and I'm still doing a basic weekend job!!!!

Last edited:
Well, a lot of those older people are also struggling. This is more a class rather than a generational issue, I think. There are plenty of hard-working lower class older folks who would love to retire but wouldn't have the means to live if they did such a thing, and there are plenty of rich young people who are utter waste of space and resources a la Snooki et al. If countries didn't squander their wealth on stupid things, there would be no need for the older folks to compete with the younger ones for the same jobs. =/

Well, from what I can see, you are certainly intelligent. :) You have a good writing style, and your English is great too. At least something. But I know you’re far better than this and far better than what you think you are.

Strange as it may seem, but I'm another one who has just applied to liberal arts course in a Budapest University.
I know it might get me to nowhere, still. Why? Because I simply can't do anything better.
But I’ll explain later…

First:
So you say you wish you had chosen a real trade. Are you sure that's what you would want?
If yes, you might already have something accurate in your mind.
Then if you really think you'd like that something more, my advice is to go for it as soon as you can.
But if you would do it only for the money, for heaven's sake, don't do it!

Here's my example:
I've been trying to get into an Art university (graphic design course) since spring 2010.
I'm over 2 application exam (one in the summer of 2010, one this summer) but both failed.
After my first failure, I decided to have a gap year and do something good. I truly believed it's fate, and that it means I'd have something much better to do that university. I was wrong.
I ended up trying to find a placement, and with a simple school-leaving exam, noone wanted me.
Along with my application exam failure, and with my parents' despair ("but you failed that exam in arts... that must mean something...you should be thinking about the question if you are really good at graphic design...") my self-confidence reached the very bottom, and it's still a bit hard to stand it up from the floor. Finally, I applied to a multimedia design course which has a huge fee to be paid for, but it has the benefits that I’m still considered a student officially, and I have 50% off bus and train fares etc. Also with students rights I'm allowed to have a student job, so I've been doing that since last september.

The place where I started working was an international company, accounting section. It was dead boring, papers everywhere, putting accounts in order. I hated it. The job just lacked any kind of creativity, or thinking at all. It was devastating, that noone needs your ideas, noone needs you to think at all. What I did was not much at all, I was bored most of the day, and when they still gave me something to do, it was something a 1st grade pupil could do in a minute too. Everything was black and white and grey, also the weather (it was autumn, which is rather rainy here where I live), and God I missed colours and smiles and good talks so much! I felt the people in that place surrounding me (mostly accountants) were so far from me, I mean, I never felt they would understand me at all, and nor did I understand them, I mean: how can they be doing such a job for years or maybe for a whole life?
I never had a good talk to anyone, and I felt lonely with my lost dream of ever becoming an artist…

The place where I am now (2 more weeks, I can't wait...) is close to the one I mentioned, though a bit better.
Still, papers everywhere -it was scary enough to see you and I (we all) are only f*cking papers in those stupid registry offices.
For my artist-like mind and soul, things like that are truly painful. Maybe I’m just too sensitive.
But there really must be more to life than this.

My second place I haven’t mentioned so far was a kind of factory, which I liked at first, even though it was terribly exhausting standing for 8 hours with only very short pauses, but at least it was challenging, because I tried doing my duty quicklier and quicklier.
Then, I got bored after I reached all I could.

So... sorry for writing my whole life here :D but in fact all I wanted to show you with these examples is that...if you are at a place you don't like...even if you do it for money, you'll be sick of your life. I was very rarely happy with how my things were, I hated my job, I hated the way I had no time for what I wanted to do, and for I hadn't got a chance to do that.
I know there are people who are able to do things they don't like for money, but now I know I'm certainly not one of them. I mean, it's ok, when permanent…but for long-term: no way.

I'm often disappointed about how things are in this world and in our society.
First I thought only my country was hard to live in, then turns out the phenomenon is world-wide.
At some really depressed moments of mine I got so far to think it had been better for me if the world would really end in 2012 or any other time, because it would spare my worries. (Crazy I know.)
It doesn’t mean I’d like to die or anything, I mean…despite every bad things I write here I love life!
But God, life is harder than I have ever thought…
I'm really worried about my future, so no wonder I've been thinking half-a-year-long about what course to apply for. Near the end, when I got to feel that my mind was going to burst, I chose liberal arts, even if it sounds riddiculuous.

Why?
Because that’s the best I can choose. That’s a thing I’m good at, and that’s what I’d like to be doing: anything close to arts.
Now in this world, I really must think that love and arts are the only thing worth living.
Not machines, not stupid papers, not else.

For me arts are like the proof of love. The proof of God.
Like a message saying „God was here”.

And if I must die of hunger because of thinking so, let it be.
I've also told my mom, that even though the ones running our super societies think that noone needs arts (they’re so wrong), if arts were not existing, I'd be better dead.
So I guess I’ve chosen to live for them once I cannot live without them.

Last edited:
Thanks for your story. I chose the major I have basically because I'm a stupid one-trick pony and can't do anything else. School is a waste of time unless you go into a useful trade, especially in this piss poor economy we have. If the economy were thriving, things like liberal arts would proliferate, no doubt, as people would have more of a will to endorse the higher things. However, with the state things are in now, the only good trades are those which are perpetually in demand and pretty much indispensable. People will always need doctors, lawyers, scientists. I'm willing to grant the fact that people will always need teachers, too. However, even within that field, there are varying demands. For example, math teachers are the most in demand. Anyone with a minor in mathematics will most likely be asked to teach math, because there are so few math teachers as compared with the other fields. This is what one math teacher told me--she originally wanted to teach something else, but since the school was short on math teachers, and she had a math minor, they asked her to teach math. Of course, she had no choice but to accept that--employment isn't exactly very high right now. So, she's stuck with that now. Lesson learned: don't get a math minor. :p

In any case, I forgot what I was going to say.

Oh, yeah. Teaching--there are a lot of people who are looking to get into that, some overqualified for the job, but resigning to do it because the economy is forcing them to pick such a path. As for me, well, that's pretty much the only thing you can do with a History major, besides working in a museum, which is not a very lucrative job. The only reason I didn't pick a more profitable major is because I would fail miserably at it. This is the only skill I can market, and the only job I could ever imagine myself doing--teaching at the college level. Anything below that is just babysitting with a better title.

Thanks for your story. I chose the major I have basically because I'm a stupid one-trick pony and can't do anything else. School is a waste of time unless you go into a useful trade, especially in this piss poor economy we have. If the economy were thriving, things like liberal arts would proliferate, no doubt, as people would have more of a will to endorse the higher things. However, with the state things are in now, the only good trades are those which are perpetually in demand and pretty much indispensable. People will always need doctors, lawyers, scientists. I'm willing to grant the fact that people will always need teachers, too. However, even within that field, there are varying demands. For example, math teachers are the most in demand. Anyone with a minor in mathematics will most likely be asked to teach math, because there are so few math teachers as compared with the other fields. This is what one math teacher told me--she originally wanted to teach something else, but since the school was short on math teachers, and she had a math minor, they asked her to teach math. Of course, she had no choice but to accept that--employment isn't exactly very high right now. So, she's stuck with that now. Lesson learned: don't get a math minor. :p

In any case, I forgot what I was going to say.

Oh, yeah. Teaching--there are a lot of people who are looking to get into that, some overqualified for the job, but resigning to do it because the economy is forcing them to pick such a path. As for me, well, that's pretty much the only thing you can do with a History major, besides working in a museum, which is not a very lucrative job. The only reason I didn't pick a more profitable major is because I would fail miserably at it. This is the only skill I can market, and the only job I could ever imagine myself doing--teaching at the college level. Anything below that is just babysitting with a better title.

Hahahaha.

Sorry that was too funny.

^It's too true. Any K-12 (kindergarten through high school) teaching job is basically just babysitting with a more prestigious title, and pretty much any teacher who has been teaching for more than 10 years will tell you so. :p

K-12 teachers will also try to spare you from the same fate, urging you never to go into teaching K-12. Some college professors feel more like babysitters too, and will urge you to forget teaching altogether and pursue something which allows you to keep your sanity/dignity.

its called hard labor my friend, get familiar with it for the time being lol

its called hard labor my friend, get familiar with it for the time being lol

I am quite familiar with hard labour, thank you. I'm pretty proletariat--I don't even own a Haus. Most of the jobs I've worked have been minimum-wage retail slave jobs (mostly cashiering and the like). The only bourgeoisie job I've had in my life has been research assistant, that's it. So, heavy lifting, standing for eight hours, packing people's s--t, eating my lunch in less than 15 minutes, I've done it all. The only other jobs I could think of which would be harder than that would be something drastic like construction or factory work, but I have a joint condition (and am female), so I'm sorry I'm not the best candidate for that type of labour.

You could always try the world's oldest profession.

Yeah...too bad that's illegal. I've heard of college folks paying their tuition that way, but I don't think I'm exactly what most people have in mind when they envision a suitable female.

I'm sure you were joking. That was mean.

Hey, hoes r ppl too, right? :p
Icky, slimy people. No offence to hoes.

With that said, I might have a retail slave job in the bag. I went in for an interview, and already took the required drug test/background check for the job. I am to call them on Wednesday to schedule my orientation, so alles gut, it seems. I'm also about to get my last paycheck for my last job, so it appears things are slowly going back to a tolerable level.

Severus Snape;3437482 said:
I might have a retail slave job in the bag.

Congratulations!

Severus Snape;3437482 said:
I've heard of college folks paying their tuition that way

Financial Sex Aid: Florida Co-Eds Seek “Sugar Daddy” for College Degree

317ca223.jpg

MIAMI (CBS4) – People who are looking for the perfect match, both men and women, go online seeking a certain kind of arrangement.

A “sugar baby” is typically younger and eager for adventure. A “sugar daddy” is usually an older, financially established provider. A website called www.seekingarrangement.com helps the two meet.

CBS4′s Jorge Estevez found a 22-year old who is looking for her first sugar daddy. She is a Miami student looking for someone to help her pay for her higher education and all the related expenses.

A self-proclaimed, cute blonde who is looking for fun in Fort Lauderdale admits to being a college student looking for some help.

With that said, I might have a retail slave job in the bag. I went in for an interview, and already took the required drug test/background check for the job. I am to call them on Wednesday to schedule my orientation, so alles gut, it seems. I'm also about to get my last paycheck for my last job, so it appears things are slowly going back to a tolerable level.

And another pretty, young Miami college girl, who does not want to be identified, is more direct, asking specifically for 10 to 20-thousand dollars monthly. The 22-year old claims to be looking for someone who will never say ”NO” to her needs.

“The lesson here… ask and you shall receive,” she told Estevez.

“What have they given you?” asked Estevez.

“They have given me cars, trips, jewelry. These guys will take you out and they will court you,” she responded.

Jorge asked “What do these guys do for you?”

“They support you financially… financially,” she replied.

Support is proving to be crucial for a 20-year old sugar baby, who is in college at Florida International University.

“Have they paid your tuition?” asked Estevez.

“Yes Jorge.”

“Books?” he asked.

“Books. Everything,” she responded. “When I say everything… I mean everything.”

In fact, her profile asks for someone to “help a young’in out”. And she is not alone. Numbers compiled by the “seeking arrangement” website showed that in the past six months, FIU ranked 20th in a list of the top universities with “sugar baby” sign ups.

Florida ranked third in the U.S. behind New York and California with 67,815 total users, of all ages. There are just over 1,000,000 and growing .

Our FIU student argued that it’s a way to survive the times.

“I don’t get support from my parents. As soon as I turned 18, they told me I am on my own. I have to figure everything out on my own Jorge.”

“And you discovered this? And you thought…?” asked Estevez.

“My dreams came true Jorge.”

“Your dreams came true,” he repeated.

Then his interview added, “But with every give… there is a take.”

“They give you trips. They pay for school. They give you presents. What do you give them?” asked Estevez.

“Sex,” said the FIU “sugar baby.”

“Just like that,” asked Jorge.

“Just like that,” she said.

“And you are OK with that?” Jorge probed.

“I am OK with that,” she replied.

But seeking arrangement, which began in 2006, insists they are not an escort service and specifies the terms of the relationship are left up to the two consenting users. Estevez spoke with the website’s founder, Brandon Lee.

“Why is this not like prostitution, since you mentioned it?” asked Estevez.

“We do not allow escorts or prostitutes to use the website. That is what I call a one or two-hour arrangement. It is not what this is about,” Lee said.

In fact, the website monitors profiles. They claim they shut down as many as 20-a day for alluding to inappropriate behavior.

“To make sure that terms such as hourly rate, in call, out call and terms like that aren’t used, we highlight them and catch them.

We put that question on the table for our “sugar baby.”

“What do you say to people who say this is a form of prostitution?” asked Estevez of our FIU student.

“That is not true,” she explained. “Prostitution is when you get paid for sex and that is just it. Sex. For this, you build a relationship with someone.”

It’s a relationship that begins online, a common practice nowadays, where one person logs on hoping to find another who is also in search of that perfect match.

“Years from now you are successful. What do you say to you about doing this?” Jorge inquired.

“They have money they want to help you. They see you struggling, They want to help you. Whether or not it is an arrangement… it is still a relationship,” the woman explained.

A match, found online, between two consenting adults looking for their own special arrangement.

So what is the ratio for these consenting adults? Well, most dating websites have more men than women. But at seekingarrangement.com, it’s the opposite. The ratio is 20 sugar babies to every one sugar daddy.

Seeking Arrangement is developing a mobile app for your smart phone and the website is going global with a Spanish language version and other languages.

Financial Sex Aid: Florida Co-Eds Seek “Sugar Daddy” for College Degree

You could also consider raising money this way:

Students Could Pay Off Debts By Donating Kidneys, Says Academic

Kidney donors should be paid £28,000 for their organs, according to an academic who claims the move could help students pay off their university debts.

Sue Rabbitt Roff said that paying live donors would encourage more to come forward and so shorten waiting lists, as three people currently die every day because they were unable to receive a transplant.

She claimed that it would not be “such a big step” from current systems, whereby medical research subjects are paid wages and workers who lose organs receive compensation, and would avoid the black market that exists in other countries.

Dr Rabbitt Roff, a research fellow in medical sociology at Dundee University, wrote in an comment piece published online at BMJ.com: “It’s time to begin to explore how to pilot paid provision of live kidneys in the UK under strict rules of access and equity.

“We need to extend our thinking beyond opt-in and opt-out to looking at how we can make it possible for those who wish to do so to express their autonomy in the same way as current donors are encouraged to do by making available a healthy kidney for a fee that is not exploitative.”

However her call has not been backed by leading kidney charities.

Professor Neil Turner, Chairman of Kidney Research UK, said: “The decision to become a living organ donor is one which is extremely personal and should not be motivated, influenced or incentivised by the prospect of financial gain.

“Such a system would likely be open to abuse and we have yet to fully explore other alternatives - such as an opt-out approach to the organ donor register, which we would favour instead.

“The idea that you can sell one of your organs to pay off a substantial debt, such as a student loan, will undoubtedly appeal to some people. However, if money is their only motivation, they may well find that they come to regret their decision at a later date.”

Tim Statham, chief executive of the National Kidney Foundation, added: “I think payment could actually be harmful because at the moment people do this altruistically.

“If they thought they might be perceived as doing it for payment, it could actually reduce the number of donors.”

Currently less than one in three of the population is on the NHS’s organ donation register, and earlier this week the DVLA started asking all motorists who apply for driving licence if they want to sign up in order to boost numbers.

Previous attempts to set up a system of “presumed consent”, whereby individuals have to opt out of leaving their bodies to medicine, have been rejected.

Patients who suffer kidney failure face years on waiting lists as the supply of deceased donor organs has not increased but demand has risen.

About one in 10 transplanted kidneys now come from live donors, usually relatives or spouses of the patient, who give up one of their two organs.

But Dr Rabbitt Roff said more kidneys are needed, particularly as diabetes rates increase, and that regulating the market and introducing large payments would increase donations while preventing poor people being exploited.

“If the standard payment were equivalent to the average annual income in the UK, currently about £28,000, it would be an incentive across most income levels for those who wanted to do a kind deed and make enough money to, for instance, pay off university loans.”

Dr Tony Calland, Chairman of the BMA’s Medical Ethics Committee, said: “The BMA would not support payment for donating organs. We believe that one of the best ways to increase organ donation is to move to a system of presumed consent with safeguards – this would have to be supported by the public and be preceded by a high profile public awareness campaign.

“Organ donation should be altruistic and based on clinical need. Living kidney donation carries a small but significant health risk. Introducing payment could lead to donors feeling compelled to take these risks, contrary to their better judgement, because of their financial situation.”

Students Could Pay Off Debts By Donating Kidneys, Says Academic

The problem now a days especially in the uk is previous goverments wanted everyone to go to university ie college and get a degree. as it kept the unemployment figures down and made things look good so they could say look at all our young ppl at uni getting a degree. the problem is most of those degrees are pointless and worthless interms of being of any use when it comes to looking for a job and if i had a pound for everytime i heard a student say im just doing this course cause i can say i have a degree at the end yet i have no clue what job i want to do and have no real intrest in the subject im studying.gone are the days when degrees actually ment something and u only did one if it were for an a professional job such as law or medicine

Oooh I feel your pain, hunny!

The economy is still pretty shit, so we're all going to have to hold tight for a bit longer.

I just finished my MBA - you'd think SOMEONE would call me for a job. I have redone my CV three times now. I am great at interviewing, its just a matter of actually getting CALLS for an interview.

What hurts the economy also is that young people get out of universities with so much debt, even with good paying jobs can't buy houses according to a real estate friend of mine as their debt is so high. Slows down the economy, housing market. I think its ridiculous that college tuition is so high. Student debt is now over a trillion. Average student's is $25,000- average parent ?? multiply by # of kids. That doesn't even take into account the huge number of parents who financed kids education with home equity loans.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052702303812904577295930047604846.html?mod=googlenews_wsj

http://www.forbes.com/sites/sherylnancenash/2012/03/22/student-loan-debt-1-trillion-and-counting/

<hgroup> ForbesWoman

|

3/22/2012 @ 10:41PM |2,421 views

Student Loan Debt: $1 Trillion and Counting

</hgroup> + Comment now

Day 3 of the protest Occupy Wall Street in Manhattan's Zuccotti Park. (Photo credit: Wikipedia)

Whatever happened to the American dream of going to college, landing a great job and living happily ever after? College is supposed to be about getting off to a great start, but it’s a financial noose that threatens to kill our young and everybody else too. The U.S. has the dubious distinction of now having more than $1 trillion in outstanding student loan debt.
The crisis has the full attention of the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau which in a recent blog , presented its sobering findings. “Unlike other consumer credit products, student debt keeps growing at a steady clip. Students borrowed $117 billion in just federal student loans last year. And students continue to borrow private student loans, which lack the income-based repayment and deferment options of federal student loans. If current trends continue, there will be consequences not just for young people, but for all of us,” wrote CFPB’s student loan ombudsman Rohit Chophra.
Worse still, he writes, according to data from the Department of Education, federal student loan debt isn’t growing just with new originations — with so many borrowers unable to keep up with interest payments, debt is growing even for many who have left school. Too much debt means too much risk for a generation of young people, many of whom are struggling in today’s economy.

You tell me :(

I'm UP for a 'protected' job or whatever they 'claim' under it... Try looking for a job with a 'disability' :smilerolleyes:

Then again, I was taught to always look at the BRIGHT side... With the 'recession' still in FULL force... DO we exactly NEED all this luxury?

I mean, I'm much HAPPIER now then when I floated in $$$ though...

GOOD LUCK to all looking for a job... It's sure is a CHALLENGE...

^^^ The costs of going to university in the US greatly exceeds any other country in the world. Why is that acceptable? It should NOT cost that much. I went through undergraduate debt free because I had a part time job and worked full time in the summer- but I didn't pay nearly as much as most uni students in the US.

I just received a job rejection today, so I know how this all feels. I'm also a college graduate, but I don't have much experience. I think experience counts for more than a degree these days. Been trying to get and keep a steady job for a while. It's easy to slip into a depressive funk, but I keep trying. I do feel fortunate that my parents are able to support me because I would be screwed otherwise.

Back