Video Killed the Radio Star: Michael Jackson, Sky Arts 1 this week

ChrisC

Guests
Folks in the UK with Sky television may have caught this on Friday...

http://www.sky.com/tv/show/video-killed-the-radio-star/video/michael-jackson

I'd be interested if anyone did see it, what they thought of it.

Although it raised the usual unnecessary questions about Michael Jackson's character which no other special of this show bothered with, it was in particular the segment regarding the making of Give In To Me which bothered me. It includes an interview with the director Andy Morahan (sp?) and from start to finish he just slags MJ off.

The show incorrectly introduces the song as Give IT To Me. Andy then comes in saying that it's a Michael Jackson and Quincy Jones track, which it isn't. He then spends a while saying how he never met Michael prior to the shoot and neither had Slash and how odd it was to work with an artist they had never met. He says that he and Slash were standing around discussing how they had never met him when they arrived at the shoot. Isn't this completely false? Doesn't Slash recount the time he met Michael in the studio prior to a date with Brooke Shields during the Dangerous album sessions?

Andy then recounts how he and Slash suddenly demanded to meet Michael and then proceeds to imitate Michael in a very camp and effeminate way - and states that Michael just repeated over and over that he wanted it to be phenomenal. Following the meeting, Andy states that Slash told him that he thought Michael was '****ing weird' (or something equally as disasteful) and explodes into laughter.

Andy goes on to say that the video was premiered on the Oprah Winfrey Show (I'm assuming he means the Oprah Michael Jackson interview) making it the most watched video premiere of all time? Accurate?

He finishes by saying that on the Oprah interview Michael made up the story of how he had to perform with actual electricity coursing around him and that this was 'bullshit' and it was all added in post. As we know Michael didn't say this on Oprah, I wondered if he had ever said it?

I was annoyed by the guy's clear disdain for Michael and his dismissive attitude in general, but most importantly what seemed to be like a series of lies and mis-information - particularly on a show paying tribute to Michael's contributions to the music video medium. Why on earth did they see it fit to include such a negative and mocking point of view??

Anyone know if this joker has a twitter account?

I haven't seen it yet but I might not watch it now, thanks for the heads up, I hope he has got a twitter account ! #Fuming

The guy Directed Highlander III and his latest project is called "Cavegirl: The Movie" :doh: enough said :rollin:

Andy Moharan,he was that slob at the back seat of the car when he was interviewed? I didn't like him too much, but I didn't see Andy's part as bad as you did. He seemed to be a little exited that somebody wanted to interview him:)
We know that what ever MJ was doing, he wanted it to be the best phenomenal, and Andy just made it sound like thats all what MJ said.

Give into me was shown in Oprah
[video=youtube;qzUeAnh8yUw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qzUeAnh8yUw[/video]

so in a way he was right to say GIM was most viewed video premiere of all time (90 million).

That story about MJ making up electricity thingy, I have no time to check the who interview, but wiki states this:
"According to Jackson—when he was interviewed by Oprah Winfrey—it was shot in just about two hours in Germany in late August 1992. The pyrotechnics appearing on the video are computer-generated and were added later on."

Seems to me MJ didn't make up anything, Andy just seemed to have temporary memory loss or something.
Seemingly Michael liked his work as Andy directed Michael's Live in Bucharest.

It was really nice extended Michael episode and there were other people talking about MJ. Steve Barron praising Michael and he seemed to get MJ. He said his camera lens steamed up due the energy coming off from Michael :wild: Then there was this broadcaster Robert Elms who was nearly foaming from his mouth when he was talking about MJ and he really showered MJ with compliments.

Here is a little snippet
http://www.sky.com/tv/show/video-killed-the-radio-star/video/michael-jackson
People who has Sky can watch it On Demand

Last edited:
So he accuses Michael of lying - all based on a story that he made up about Michael lying...Ironic.
Because he did not say anything like that on Oprah. It's easy to check out.

Andy Moharan,he was that slob at the back seat of the car when he was interviewed? I didn't like him too much, but I didn't see Andy's part as bad as you did. He seemed to be a little exited that somebody wanted to interview him:)
We know that what ever MJ was doing, he wanted it to be the best phenomenal, and Andy just made it sound like thats all what MJ said.

Heck no, he was really condescending and dismissive. Maybe it's just how he talks, but that paired with the abundance of negative things he said - and complete lies? - really put me off him.

With regards video premieres, from Wikipedia...
The music video for "Black or White" was first broadcast on MTV, BET, VH1, and Fox (giving them their highest Nielsen ratings ever)[SUP][21][/SUP] on November 14, 1991.[SUP][22][/SUP] Along with Jackson, it featured Macaulay Culkin, Tess Harper, and George Wendt.[SUP][23][/SUP] The video was directed by John Landis, who previously directed Thriller. It was choreographed by Vincent Paterson. It premiered simultaneously in 27 countries, with an audience of 500 million viewers, the most to ever watch a music video.[SUP][22][/SUP]

Has anyone asked Slash on Twitter his opinion of what this guy is saying?

I'm just curious if Slash thought he was that weird back then... why did he continue to work with him numerous times? Or does this Andy guy have a complete wacked memory of the whole event?

Heck no, he was really condescending and dismissive. Maybe it's just how he talks, but that paired with the abundance of negative things he said - and complete lies? - really put me off him.

I watched the program again and I think thats the way he talks.
I didn't like the way he talked, and was put off, but the way the other guys talked about MJ made me dismiss Andy's opinions.
There was another program about MJ's videos, and they interviews another guy who was involved MJ's video, and he was talking to same way as this guy. I don't think they were against MJ, but generally against pop music and possible they find it embarrassing to them that they are involved "pop" project and they feel that they have to show they are tough guys. Snobby rockers who are insecure are like that:)

You have to remember that these people are not fans of Michael's. They collaborated with MJ at some stage (years ago) and possible don't remember every single details like fans would do, so it is possible that he doesn't follow MJ news and doesn't have a clue about B & W got bigger audience than GIM, and some other details are getting messed up in his head.

Btw, Slash picked him to direct the video:
I played the whole rhythm part and solo. It was very loose. I was just jamming to the track, and Michael came down with Brooke Shields. I asked, "Is this cool?" and he'd say, "Anything you want, Slash."

When it came time to do the video, Mike put the whole thing in my hands! I picked the director and organized the band. Gilby is in it, Tony Thompson is on drums, Muzz Skillings is on bass, Dizzy's on keyboards and Michael sings. We're in this tiny space and it is very rock and roll. It's a completely different thing for Michael. I hope he digs it.
http://www.heretodaygonetohell.com/articles/showarticle.php?articleid=77

Slash himself didn't remember what album GIM appeared:)
Here Slash on Ronnie W, listen what he says Brooke Shields:

Andy was wrong saying Slash haven't met MJ before video shoot.

Has anyone asked Slash on Twitter his opinion of what this guy is saying?

I'm just curious if Slash thought he was that weird back then... why did he continue to work with him numerous times? Or does this Andy guy have a complete wacked memory of the whole event?

I think Andy has bad memory:)

Slash talking about MJ at the start of the interview

Imo, he says MJ's world was weird, not MJ.

I'd like to watch the whole program, I'm pretty sure it wasn't all negative. I mean, Wayne Isham has directed videos of Metallica, Bon Jovi but also NSYNCK ( :puke: , he lost a little credibility with that one) and you didn't see him dissing Michael, unless I'm not aware if he ever did it.

Never mind Wayne also directed Britney Spears, Ricky Martin, Back Street Boys, etc. I didn't know he directed Hollywood Tonight, nice concept, horrible mix.

I don't know can you watch it anywhere else than Sky Arts channel. It would be nice if someone can record it and post it here as I found it very good. It is 30 minutes talk of MJ's videos, and only a fraction of that time was allocated to Andy M, otherwise it was glowing reviews to Michael and his work relating to mini movies.
---------------------------
I saw Wayne talking about his first job, which was to mind the tiger used in Billie Jean video and he had to clean up the mess:D

I don't know can you watch it anywhere else than Sky Arts channel. It would be nice if someone can record it and post it here as I found it very good. It is 30 minutes talk of MJ's videos, and only a fraction of that time was allocated to Andy M, otherwise it was glowing reviews to Michael and his work relating to mini movies.
---------------------------
I saw Wayne talking about his first job, which was to mind the tiger used in Billie Jean video and he had to clean up the mess:D

I'd love to see this. I hope someone can upload it onto YouTube so we could all see it. :)

I'll just say this... Weird is not always bad, in fact there has not been one 'GREAT' that was not thought of as 'weird' or 'out there' or 'crazy'...

No one can be everything, what I mean is this.. When your brain is taken up by so much of a craft, or an expertise there is no way you can connect the same way to the world as others.. You see it through the eyes of what you know, and how you see it.. If you are an artist, you obviously see things differently, that is why you can create the art you do...

Our brains are only capable of so much, how many 'nerds' are socially awkward? a lot.. Not because they are stupid, in fact it's the opposite it is because they have put so much attention into there interest that they have not experienced many of the social behaviors many others would learn in the world being an 'every day' person..

My dad PH.D. extremely intelligent guy, has done work for NASA and various companies around the U.S., I had to show him how to turn on a freaking vacuum at one point... That's just an example when someone indulges in there craft so deeply that the things most find simple come very hard for that person..

Michael has 1. crafted his work on a level no one has, so his brain has been set to create at all times, that's part of the reason why he had a hard time sleeping.. 2. he was raised in the public eye on a level that did not allow him to socialize with normal people ever... So how the heck is he supposed to be socially "normal"... Normal is what society teaches us is ok.. If he has not been a part of society EVER, he was never 'taught' what was "ok"..

AND... It doesn't matter because what is "OK and NORMAL" is full of hypocrisy, lies, cover ups...

For the man and artist who introduced, perfected a new art form so massively and change the music industry forever because of those short films, deserves at least an hour. Even so, Michael deserved to appear first or one of the firsts in that series. Oh well, they released it, at last.

I remember the tiger story. :lol: I think Wayne talked about it when the video killed series made their program dedicated to Steve Baron. I seriously don't get why they took so long to have Michael, he made MTV.

I don't think they were against MJ, but generally against pop music and possible they find it embarrassing to them that they are involved "pop" project and they feel that they have to show they are tough guys. Snobby rockers who are insecure are like that:)

You have to remember that these people are not fans of Michael's. They collaborated with MJ at some stage (years ago) and possible don't remember every single details like fans would do, so it is possible that he doesn't follow MJ news and doesn't have a clue about B & W got bigger audience than GIM, and some other details are getting messed up in his head.

If they're so against it then don't take money for it.

I don't know if he's right or not regarding the premiere audience, I was just questioning his credibility in general.

I watched Video killed radio star Aretha Franklin episode and once again they interviewed Andy Moharan's involvement to her videos. He was speaking the same way of Aretha than he spoke of Michael. It is just his way.
I only know Aretha's music but nothing about videos so I cannot say whether Andy was talking shite about her videos too.

I watched Video killed radio star Aretha Franklin episode and once again they interviewed Andy Moharan's involvement to her videos. He was speaking the same way of Aretha than he spoke of Michael. It is just his way.
I only know Aretha's music but nothing about videos so I cannot say whether Andy was talking shite about her videos too.

So he's just a douche bag

^^ Well, some people are not good at front of camera and Andy defo comes across like Big Huss from Pawn Stars :cheeky:

Back