(Updated 13 Sept) Tribute 2009-mobo awards (With Jermaine Jackson)

Michaels.Art.Nouveau

Proud Member
MOBO Awards
30th September
Glasgow
Scottish Exhibition+Conference Centre SECC http://moboawardsglasgow.com/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NwTx6v_tJB4 MOBO Michael Jackson tribute video

This years MOBO awards will pay a very special tribute to Michael Jackson and will be live on television as usual.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Updated 13th Sept:
Jermaine definetly confirmed as a performer, He will perform 'Smile'.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Updated 27th Aug:

Jermaine Jackson in Glasgow Mobos tribute

Jermaine Jackson
Sarah Swain in London

0 commentsPublished on 26 Aug 2009

Michael Jackson’s brother Jermaine will be in Scotland next month to take part in a major tribute to the late King of Pop before a worldwide audience.

Organisers of the Mobo Awards, which are being held in Glasgow this year – the first time outside London – revealed details of the tribute at a nominations ceremony last night.

Mobo founder Kanya King MBE said: "We will have Jermaine Jackson. He’s going to be there. It will be a phenomenal tribute. The older generation, the younger generation have all been influenced by him. I think it’s right we should pay proper tribute to him.

"We are going to put on the best show ever. It will take Mobo to the global stage."

http://www.heraldscotland.com/arts-e...ibute-1.824731

Last edited:
Re: TRIBUTE 2009-MOBO AWARDS + Janet invited

Thanks for the news I hope someone will record and share it

i'll watch it just to see janet and the tribute, the MOBOs are not usually anything to write home about.

MOBO Awards
30th September
Glasgow
Scottish Exhibition+Conference Centre SECC

This years MOBO awards will pay a very special tribute to Michael Jackson and will be live on television as usual.

Janet Jackson has been invited again this year for the tribute and I can also reveal here on mjjcommunity that the 'Mitchell Brothers' are involved in the tribute as well...

that's great news, I really liked the Mitchell Brothers song - it was shame it didn't do better in the chart. This event will be the perfect place for them to perform it, so I hope they will.

I'm looking forward to this show. Hopefully MTV Awards, The World Music Awards, and The Grammys will do a substantial tribute to Mike too. He deserves it!

I like their song Michael Jackson as well :D Should be interesting viewing.

that's great news, I really liked the Mitchell Brothers song - it was shame it didn't do better in the chart. This event will be the perfect place for them to perform it, so I hope they will.

I'm looking forward to this show. Hopefully MTV Awards, The World Music Awards, and The Grammys will do a substantial tribute to Mike too. He deserves it!

yeah the MOBO is a great platform for the Mitchell Brothes. the song was #65 in the UK singles chart and now everybody wants it re-released.

i think every award show will pay some kind of tribute to the king of pop.

http://www.sundaymail.co.uk/2009/08...sister-to-glasgow-for-tribute-78057-21584146/ AUGUST 9

http://www.aceshowbiz.com/news/view/00026318.html AUGUST 10

despite these reports its not true about Janet although she may be involved somehow...lets hope so.

Last edited:

Cool, thx for posting

Yes he does! I hope all these shows do a tribute to MJ as well.

Re: Tribute 2009-mobo awards

MOBO Statement - Janet Jackson

Following recent reports in the press, MOBO would like to clarify that we have never confirmed that Janet Jackson has been invited or will be attending/performing at this year’s MOBO Awards, in Glasgow on September 30th.

As was reported, we will always welcome her at our show and as a previous MOBO presenter, we loved her past involvement and will continue to support her music and champion her career. Yet, at this stage we cannot comment on Janet Jackson's association with the 2009 MOBO Awards. However, there are lots of exciting things going on currently and we look forward to announcing them shortly!

We, as ever, appreciate your ongoing interest in the show – please keep coming back to mobo.com for future developments!

Many thanks,

MOBO

http://www.mobo.com/

i'll watch it just to see janet and the tribute, the MOBOs are not usually anything to write home about.

I thought that until I actually watched it.

They are alot to do with proper black music and heritage and roots etc

And charity too

So its not just about the awards!

Let's hope she attends, Yeah to those around that neck of the woods please record it for us.

:)

Jermaine Jackson in Glasgow Mobos tribute

Jermaine Jackson
Sarah Swain in London

0 commentsPublished on 26 Aug 2009

Michael Jackson’s brother Jermaine will be in Scotland next month to take part in a major tribute to the late King of Pop before a worldwide audience.

Organisers of the Mobo Awards, which are being held in Glasgow this year – the first time outside London – revealed details of the tribute at a nominations ceremony last night.

Mobo founder Kanya King MBE said: "We will have Jermaine Jackson. He’s going to be there. It will be a phenomenal tribute. The older generation, the younger generation have all been influenced by him. I think it’s right we should pay proper tribute to him.

"We are going to put on the best show ever. It will take Mobo to the global stage."

http://www.heraldscotland.com/arts-...ine-jackson-in-glasgow-mobos-tribute-1.824731

*STRICTLY EMBARGOED UNTIL 9PM GMT, 26TH AUGUST 2009* MOBO NOMINATIONS LAUNCH - THE BRIT PACK LEAD THE WAY AT THIS YEAR’S MOBO AWARDS‏
Sent: 26 August 2009 17:49:27
To: Natalie Whorms (natalie.whorms@outside-org.co.uk); Adam Cotton (adam.cotton@outside-org.co.uk)

**STRICTLY EMBARGOED UNTIL

9PM GMT, WEDNESDAY 26TH AUGUST 2009**

THE BRIT PACK LEAD THE WAY

AT THIS YEAR’S MOBO AWARDS

MOBO ARTISTS HAVE SOLD OVER 1.7 MILLION RECORDS IN 2009

CHIPMUNK, DIZZEE RASCAL, TINCHY STRYDER & N-DUBZ

BATTLE IT OUT AT THE 14TH MOBO AWARDS

FANS CAN VOTE FOR THEIR FAVOURITE NOMINEE ON MOBO.COM

This year, Tinchy Stryder, Dizzee Rascal, N-Dubz and Chipmunk are the most nominated at the 2009 MOBO Awards, reflecting their domination of the UK’s singles chart.

As MOBO Music becomes the UK mainstream, the 14th annual MOBO Awards is celebrating the extraordinary success of British artists over the past year at the glittering ceremony in Glasgow, Scotland on September 30th – the first time the MOBO Awards have moved from its birthplace.

MOBO artists are bucking the trend of downward record sales and leading the charge for the resurgent singles format. Dizzee Rascal sold 114,165 of the single “Bonkers” in the first week of release, JLS have sold well over 300,000 of their debut single “Beat Again”, Alexandra Burke sold 576,000 of “Hallelujah”, and Tinchy Stryder is the biggest selling single artist of the year notching up an incredible 800,000 single sales - marking 2009 as the year of the Brit pack.

With the likes of N-Dubz, Tinchy, Ironik and Dizzee becoming a cultural phenomenon, MOBO music is now the sound of Britain 2009.

Leading the nominations is last year’s Best Newcomer winner, teenage rapper Chipmunk, who has earned a staggering 4 nominations as Best UK Act, Best Hip Hop Act, Best Video and Best Song for the top ten single “Diamond Rings” featuring Glasgow’s own Emelie Sande.

And reality TV stars look to dominate the Best Newcomer category with X Factor finalists JLS and Alexandra competing head to head once again for the coveted title, alongside Eurovision contestant and R&B pop superstar in the waiting, Jade Ewen. Irish, soul singer Laura Izibor and London based MC, Master Shortie complete the newcomer line-up.

Marvin of boy band JLS said: “Supporting urban music talent is vital to the industry and the MOBO Awards does an outstanding job of nurturing new talent and recognising the icons of music which inspire artists today.“

Oritse said: “There are very few platforms for new talent; while we got our chance through the X Factor, the MOBO Awards continues to pave the way for new acts that struggle to gain the recognition they deserve.”

The boys are looking strong this year with dancing queen Alesha Dixon and soul singer Beverley Knight the only females in the newly merged, Best UK Act category. With the likes of Bashy, Tinchy, N-Dubz, Dizzee and Mr Hudson fighting for the title, it is set to be a closely contested battle.

But do not despair, with the Best Newcomer category full of UK female talent, there is no doubt the girls will come back in 2010 to give the lads another run for their money!

Kanya King, CEO and Founder of MOBO: “It is a reflection of the industry that the guys are dominating the UK nominations, but we have identified a lot of young female talent coming through. Their presence in the 2009 Nominations demonstrates that MOBO continues to be a taste-maker for the industry - these are the ones to watch!

“The fact that we are holding the awards in Glasgow this year is testament to the fact that MOBO Music is the sound of Britain as a whole. The reception from Scotland has been great and we cannot wait to put on our show up there.”

Best International Act, as always, is a truly heavyweight category with the likes of Jay Z, Beyonce, Kanye West, Lady Gaga and Keri Hilson vying for the prestigious award.

The public can vote on www.mobo.com have their say on the ultimate winners at the Awards 2009.

The 14th annual MOBO Awards will take place at Scottish Exhibition + Conference Centre (SECC) Arena in Glasgow on Wednesday 30th September.

FULL LIST OF NOMINATIONS

BEST UK ACT
Alesha Dixon
Bashy
Beverley Knight
Chipmunk
Dizzee Rascal
DJ Ironik
Donae’o
Mr. Hudson
N-Dubz
Tinchy Stryder

BEST UK NEWCOMER
Alexandra Burke
Jade Ewen
JLS
Laura Izibor
Master Shortie

BEST R&B / SOUL ACT
Beverley Knight
Ciara
Jeremih
Keri Hilson
Lemar

BEST HIP HOP ACT
Chipmunk
Dizzee Rascal
Drake
Eminem
Kanye West

BEST VIDEO
'Bonkers' - Dizzee Rascal
'Boy Does Nothing' - Alesha Dixon
'Diamond Rings' - Chipmunk ft. Emeli Sande
'Single Ladies (Put A Ring On It)' – Beyonce
'Supernova' - Mr. Hudson ft. Kanye West

BEST INTERNATIONAL ACT
Akon
Beyonce
Ciara
Drake
Eminem
Jay Z
Kanye West
Keri Hilson
Lady Gaga
Mariah Carey

BEST SONG
'Beat Again' – JLS
'Diamond Rings' - Chipmunk ft. Emeli Sande
'Head, Shoulders, Knees and Toes' - K.I.G. Family
'Number One' - Tinchy Stryder and N-Dubz
'Strong Again' - N-Dubz

BEST ALBUM
'808s and Heartbreaks' - Kanye West
'Catch 22' - Tinchy Stryder
'Catch Me If You Can' – Bashy
'I Am… Sasha Fierce' - Beyonce
'Uncle B' - N-Dubz

BEST REGGAE
Movado
Sean Paul
Serani
Tarrus Riley
Vybz Kartel

BEST JAZZ ACT
Diana Krall
Herbie Hancock
Madeleine Peyroux
Melody Gardot
Yolanda Brown

BEST AFRICAN ACT
Amadou and Mariam
Baaba Maal
Eidee
Femi Kuti
K’Naan
Lira
Mujava
Nneka
Oumou Sangare
Salif Kelta

BEST GOSPEL ACT
Desire to Worship God
Kiki Sheard
Mary Mary
New Direction
Crew

For those wanting to attend this year’s MOBO Awards, tickets are now available from Ticketsoup.com and Ticketmaster.com

www.mobo.com

www.moboawardsglasgow.com

For great accommodation deals and things to see and do in Glasgow, visit www.visitscotland.com/autumn

NOTES TO EDITORS

Founded by Kanya King MBE back in 1996, MOBO has grown to become Europe’s leading black music brand – celebrating diverse music genres by honouring established as well as up-and-coming MOBO artists. The MOBO Awards Show also holds the distinction of being one of the world’s most televised black music awards shows today, reaching millions of viewers across 5 continents.

Over the past 13 years the MOBO Awards Show has attracted the biggest names within the genres of MOBO music, who have given stunning virtuoso live performances before a global audience. Recent awards show performers include Rihanna, Jay Z and Amy Winehouse and 2009 promises to be even more dazzling and momentous, as you would expect from an organisation that is continually making innovative and impressive efforts to bring MOBO to the world stage.

This year’s event will be held at Glasgow’s SECC on 30th September and will be watched by a capacity audience on the night in addition to being broadcast live nationally on BBC 3 and shown on BBC 1 a few day’s later.

Michael Russell, Scottish Government Minister for Culture, said: “Today’s announcement highlights the excellent calibre of urban music acts nominated for this year’s MOBO Awards and adds to the buzz around the Awards Show being held next month in Glasgow, which is home to some of Scotland's most exciting musical talent.

“We look forward to hosting this world-class event in Scotland - giving fans and viewers from around the world a warm welcome and a taste of our unique and diverse Scottish culture.”

Councillor Steven Purcell, Leader of Glasgow City Council and Chair of Glasgow City Marketing Bureau, said, “Glasgow’s world-wide reputation for music is sure to be enhanced by tonight’s announcement that some of urban music’s biggest stars will join home-grown talent in the stellar line-up for the 2009 MOBO Awards at the SECC. It will be a night that all of Glasgow can revel in, together with millions of television viewers across the world.”

Paul Bush OBE, Chief Operating Officer at EventScotland, the national events agency, said: “The countdown to the MOBO Awards 2009 is well underway and excitement is really building as Scotland prepares to welcome this prestigious celebration of urban music.

“The nominations for this year’s awards really showcase the best artists and groups performing in this genre and it’s exciting to see so many nominees from the UK being recognised. It’s also fantastic to see Scotland’s home grown talent, Emile Sande, in the running for prestigious awards such as Best Video and Best Song.

“Hosting the MOBO Awards will raise Scotland’s profile as a destination for music events around the world through extensive media coverage while also generating in excess of £1 million in economic impact and creating substantial benefits for Scotland’s music and tourism industries. Scotland is known around the world as a vibrant nation with a thriving music scene and an unrivalled major events industry which will ensure the 2009 MOBO Awards are truly sensational.”

Scott Taylor, Chief Executive of Glasgow City Marketing Bureau, added, “We were delighted to have played our part in bringing the MOBO Awards to Glasgow next month. It is one of the biggest nights in the international music calendar and will undoubtedly reinforce our credentials as Scotland with style!”

Press Enquiries: #######

TV/ Radio Enquiries:
######

Not junk

Print

View message source

This message is too wide to fit your screen. Show full message © 2009 Microsoft Privacy Legal Help Central Account Feedback

Last edited:

Loved that song. Never heard it when it was released, someone brought it to my attention bout 6 months ago.

Its calvin harris too isnt it?

Everything with calvin harris goes to the top of the charts normally...well it does now anyway. When was this released?

I wish it was re-released!!

the 'Mitchell Brothers' are involved in the tribute as well...

ts a British version of awards for black artists..
its not just for black artists.its for anyone one who performs music of black origin whatever their race

Re: (Updated 27th Aug) Tribute 2009-mobo awards (With Jermaine Jackson)

^^^ :cry:

jermaine again lol

Think I'll pop along to this, its 10 mins walking distance from me :)

Jermaine Jackson has been confirmed as a definete performer at this years MOBO Awards. He will perform 'Smile'.

lol ya
next year he will receive also an Oscar for his "actings".lol

:lmao: Why is this funny to me, but soo true!

Are there any castles in Scotland? because Michael loved castles.

Back