UPDATE (pg.2): Take That's new album - Take That are Amazon's 'top-selling music artist of all time'

Moonwalker.Fan

Proud Member
Happy days: band are celebrating their album success

Take That's decision to let Robbie Williams back into the fold has paid off, with their new album Progress becoming the fastest-selling of the century so far.

Their first record in 15 years with the original line-up sold more than 235,000 copies on its release day.

Monday's sale was more than the combined efforts of all the other albums in the Top 20.

An insider admitted Robbie has relit the Take That fire and said: " ey are over the moon."

Gary Barlow, who performed live with Robbie for the rst time in 15 years on The X Factor on Sunday, admitted when they decided to see if Robbie could return to the group, it was all about the music.

He said: "First and foremost, we wanted to make a great album. We didn't think about touring or anything else like that."

It's the biggest album sale since Oasis's Be Here Now sold just over 424,000 on its first day in 1997. The Gallagher brothers' third album went on to sell almost 700,000 copies in a week.

And Progress's success even dwarfs singing phenomenon Susan Boyle's first day tally of 130,000 for I Dreamed A Dream, which went on to become the fastest-selling debut in the UK ever.

Official Charts Company boss Martin Talbot said: "This is a phenomenal achievement from an already phenomenally successful band."

Critics were sharpening the knives when their comeback single The Flood failed to go to No.1 on Sunday, stalling at No.2 behind Rihanna, but the fans were waiting for the album and Progress has had the best reviews of any Take That record.

It is the favourite to stay at the top of the charts at Christmas.

Earlier this month, ticket sales for next year's Progress tour broke all records to become the fastest and biggest selling tour in UK history with a total of 1.34million tickets sold, the first million going in just eight hours.

Between them, Take That and Robbie have sold more than 80million albums, played to 14.5million people live, won 19 BRIT Awards and ve Ivor Novello awards and scored 13 No.1 albums and a staggering 17 No.1 singles.

Progress is the first album Take That have released as a five-piece since 1995's Nobody Else.

It looks set to challenge the achievements of the last Take That album (as a four-piece), The Circus, which sold 1 million copies in just 18 days.

Last edited:
Re: Take That's new album makes quick Progress after setting SALES RECORD

What about call them the new Beatles...?

Oh... who would dare?

520,000 albums sold in a week in the UK... absolutely amazing.

UPDATE:

Take That's 'Progress' Fastest Selling Record In 13 Years
22 November 2010

After the utter frenzy that took place when tickets for their upcoming European tour went on sale recently, it's no surprise to anyone that Take That's new album 'Progress' shot straight to the top of the Irish album charts on Friday.

Today, the UK charts have been revealed, and the newly reunited five-piece are doing even better in their homeland. Outselling the rest of the top ten albums put together, 'Progress' has sold almost 520,000 copies to become the fastest selling album since Oasis' 'Be Here Now' in 1997. Of course, a certain amount of the hype and anticipation surrounding 'Progress' is down to the fact that it's the first album Take That have recorded with Robbie Williams in fifteen years, but it's also because it is actually a great pop record, receiving almost universal acclaim from fans and critics alike.

Meanwhile, Rihanna's 'Loud' is playing second fiddle to 'Progress' in both the UK and Irish album charts, while Take That's single 'The Flood' is now at #3 in the Irish singles chart, behind Rihanna's 'Only Girl In The World' and Katy Perry's 'Firework'. Clearly fans think the album is worth the investment.

Last edited:

... thats the fan action...

The controversy and hysteria about the new MJ album will be a huge "obstacle" to come near to that success of TT.

MJ fans are not able to take such an "action".... like the TTs fans..

Last edited:
Re: UPDATE (#4): Take That's new album - Fastest Selling Record In 13 Years

I got a digital copy of this album and it is really, really very good. I love it. I lik the music of Take That ever since the early days (lol, speak of my age), but their 2000 music is simply much better, mature, amazing.
I really enjoy their last three albums (this one included) and it was very good to see the RW factor didn't ruin the music, for that is what really matters.
The new Beatles?
woowww... I have to admit I thought exactly the same last week as I heard about their latest achievements, but... I guess The Beatles is more, much more than just a handful of broken records. TT has great music, but Beatles has music that will last forever. I am not quite sure if TT has reached that level of perfection. In fact, I think they have not done it yet. Which is great, for it means they have a lot more to give!!!

Good for them!

^^ We don't know what Michael's sales are going to be like yet. I think his album will do very, very well. Its unlikely that it will reach the level of TT's sales, but I think it will be a success (and hopefully No.1!)

Hold my Hand is doing well on UK radio so fingers crossed. :)

Anyway, back to Take That! I have to wait for my copy of Progress because I'm getting it for Christmas. The wait is actually killing me! I've heard a snippet of 'SOS' and it sounds amazing! Also, heard '8 Letters' on the radio today and that's a great song too. :)

Wow, I never realized they were so popular. I only know one song of them (Patience) but they are going to perform their new single on a very popular TV show in the Netherlands this Friday (called The Voice Of Holland, sorta like X-Factor but much better) so hopefully I'll understand then what the hype is all about :p

No No..., TT´s success just shows their popularity and fans support, and I try to point out to this fact and, of course, we will see how supportive MJs fans are...
The point still is that the album sales are something like a degree of popularity...

but OK, we will see...

Moonwalker.Fan;3096043 said:
No No..., TT´s success just shows their popularity and fans support, and I try to point out to this fact and, of course, we will see how supportive MJs fans are...
The point still is that the album sales are something like a degree of popularity...

but OK, we will see...

You are more or less right, but you have to remember that Take that are here to promote their album and they are in fact doing a lot of promotion for it... Michael's album will be a success, but the lack of a high profile star like himself to promote it is bound to have an affect on the sale....

Been a fan of Take that since the early 90s, and am happy that Robbie is back with them, but I'm not really sure about the new album :scratch: there are some great tracks on it, but it's also a bit strange and nothing like I was expecting it to be :D

Wow, I never realized they were so popular. I only know one song of them (Patience) but they are going to perform their new single on a very popular TV show in the Netherlands this Friday (called The Voice Of Holland, sorta like X-Factor but much better) so hopefully I'll understand then what the hype is all about :p

Actually, I have to correct myself here. I forgot I know "Back For Good" as well, and I actually really like that song :)

I personally have never had a taste for the British pop... ala the Beatles or Oasis or TT, I think they are so overrated ... especially the Beatles.
But such records in sales are impressive.

I wonder why MJ fans are not able to mobilize themselves and buy MJs albums ... in such amount.

I can assure you that if MICHAEL album fails in sales, tabloid and media will mock to MJ and the album and (some) fans for their stupid boycotting... of this album, thats what I am afraid of...

There is nothing to be afraid of. Michael's legacy does not depend on the MICHAEL album. His legacy has survived the worst attacks ever experienced by an artist. Michael's legacy will go on forever. The tabloid and the media never gave Michael a break and they will never will.

I don't know whether to laugh or to cry when I see fans are so obsessed with sales figures. Michael has been there and done that. He's the best selling ever. Period. Nobody can take that away from him.

Why compare Take That fans and Michael Jackson fans? Why compare Take That's reunion album to Michael's first posthumous album? Of course, Take That's album gets more hype. Take That fans are more happy. All four members of Take That are ALIVE.

Michael Jackson gave so much in his life. He achieved the kind of success that other artist can only dream of. Yet, that's not enough for us. We want everything that bears his name to beat others. But, we are talking a posthumous release here. A posthumous release that he doesn't oversee.

I can understand fans want Michael to have another #1 album. Still, take it easy. If the album doesn't sell better than Take That, it's not the end of the world.

There are many many good artists in the world. I wish them success. I'm happy for Take That.

I never under estimated TT, especially when they broke the ticket sales record, and beating This Is It sales, is saying something, I've brought the TT album ,its probably there best to date, and surprisingly its not all Robbie on main vocals which I thought may happen.

Anyone see them last Friday on BBC Children in Need, their Never Forget performance was really good.

There is nothing to be afraid of. Michael's legacy does not depend on the MICHAEL album. His legacy has survived the worst attacks ever experienced by an artist. Michael's legacy will go on forever. The tabloid and the media never gave Michael a break and they will never will.

I don't know whether to laugh or to cry when I see fans are so obsessed with sales figures. Michael has been there and done that. He's the best selling ever. Period. Nobody can take that away from him.

Michael Jackson gave so much in his life. He achieved the kind of success that other artist can only dream of. Yet, that's not enough for us. We want everything that bears his name to beat others.

I can understand fans want Michael to have another #1 album. Still, take it easy. If the album doesn't sell better than Take That, it's not the end of the world.

There are many many good artists in the world. I wish them success. I'm happy for Take That.

:yes::yes::yes: you got that riiiight sistah/brother. I couldn't agree with you more. I really hate it when people are obsessed with sale figures. Hate to break it to y'all but neither music, nor the world began or ended with Michael. It might sound harsh, but that's the truth and the sooner that's understood, the better it is.

It is beyond my comprehension abilities to see how some people only listen to Michael's music. That doesn't begin to be the definition of narrow-mindedness. There is a wealth, a plethora of incredible artists and amazing music out there (from all genres and all eras) to be cherished and enjoyed. I really can't see how some fans can be so limited in their view to see and hear only Michael, when his name is written on a product that is, cause he couldn't have sung otherwise *drippin' with sarcasm*.

I loooooooove Take That and i love Robbie's music as a solo act. To be perfectly honest, i wasn't such a great fan of theirs back in the 90s. I guess i was young and restless and foolish back then; too bad i'm still the latter 2.

They have truly inspiring music, some really groovy tunes and some very nice videos. Of course i love classics like Pray, Sure, Back for good, but i also love the newer things such as Shine, Greatest day, Rule the world. Won't even get into all the Robbie videos/song i adore cause i wouldn't end lol.

Just today i was talkin' about them at work and watching the full video for the Flood. I had only seen parts of it yesterday on tele. I loved it. It's so nice to see them boys back together and to hear about their success. They totally and absolutely deserve it:clapping: I bet their tour is going to be awesome as well. Would love to see them play live.

God bless them all, their families and their collaborators.

Well... this about TT, not about Michael's sales.

O-M-G

Did I say that? :eek:

yes! I did!

We know about MJ, but this was to discuss TT album.
It's very good and yes, I am very happy (and relieved!) to hear it is fair, and not only Robbie-related.

I hope their tour will be great!! And about fav tunes, "Pray" is one of my all time fav, but The Garden, Shine, etc, all their new stuff is simply way better than the traks of the 90's. It's great seeing them getting better and better.

See NKOTB. I had such a crush on them when I was a teenager. wowww, I loved them! And I still like them. I can't deny my past! Their reunion album was good (even a Lady Gaga track included), but nothing to be compared to TT.

And guess what? When I was in the highest of my NKOTB crush, I got to know about TT being "the next NKOTB" and I hated it!!!! I was like "Ummfff... who do they think they are? They are nothing!!" :angry: This just shows how wrong I was. But that's the way to learn: making mistakes (and learning your lessons, of course :lol: ).

Is anybody here going to the tour? I managed to get tickets for the very first date! I'm so excited! :D

Is anybody here going to the tour? I managed to get tickets for the very first date! I'm so excited! :D

Wow, you're so lucky. I'm very happy for ya. I haven't got any tickets yet, i was checkin' the schedule and that San Siro Milan date for July 12th sure looks mighty interestin' :shifty: remains to be seen.....

You enjoy the show and let us all know how awesome it was :D

I never under estimated TT, especially when they broke the ticket sales record, and beating This Is It sales, is saying something, I've brought the TT album ,its probably there best to date, and surprisingly its not all Robbie on main vocals which I thought may happen.

Anyone see them last Friday on BBC Children in Need, their Never Forget performance was really good.

WTF?! When did that happen?

There has been many instances of name calling here and it must stop. This is about Take That, not about boycotting the Michael album and it stops now.

always liked gary barlows song writting. hes a fine example of where style matters over actual talent. interms of his solo carrer doing so poorly yet being the only really talented one in the group

:clapping::clapping: i am a little bit of a fan but not a lot :no:

Anyone got their album 'Progress'?

I finally listened to mine on Christmas Day and it was definitely worth the wait. There's no question why this is the fastest selling album in the UK for years. Its brilliant! I think its the best Take That album yet, there's only one song that I'm not sure about and its 'What Do You Want From Me'... (sorry Mark!) but I adore 'Wait, Kidz, Happy Now, SOS, The Flood'. Its very different for Take That but its worked for them and I cannot wait to see them on tour!!! :D

Take That are Amazon's 'top-selling music artist of all time'

The British boyband, newly-reunited with former member Robbie Williams, have managed to out-sell music legends including The Beatles and Michael Jackson with their latest offering.

The group's latest record, Progress, has dominated Britain's album chart since it was released last month (Nov10) and has gone on to sell more than 1.8 million copies.

Susan Boyle's debut album I Dreamed a Dream was also pushed aside as the group made their way to the top of the online retailer's sales list.

Despite the successful status attributed to them, however, Take That were only Amazon's sixth best seller of 2010.

The top five best-selling items on Amazon this year were the book-reading gadget Kindle, the Toy Story 3 DVD, the book The Girl Who Kicked The Hornet's Nest, videogame Call of Duty: Black Ops and chef Jamie Oliver's 30-Minute Meals book.

Take That's 2011 Progress tour made records this year as well, with more than a million tickets sold in just a matter of hours when they went on sale in October.

It will be the first time the band have performed as a five-piece in 16 years.

Progress became the biggest pre-order release of 2010, making it the most in-demand album from the band to date.

Take That are set to play a private New Year's Eve gig in Barbados tonight, minus Robbie, who reportedly has family commitments.

http://www.metro.co.uk/music/851545-take-that-are-amazons-top-selling-music-artist-of-all-time

-------------

After six straight weeks at number one in the UK album charts, it has now dropped... to number two.

Good on Take That.Love them.Looking forward to the concert in the summer.I went 2 nights to The Circus last summer & it was an awesome show.

Well I can't lie, I'm quite surprised by all this succes with the new album.
I remember when it was announced that Robbie was returning and many seemed to be complaining about it for various reasons.(mostly saying things about Robbie)
I guess the music silenced all of that.
I haven't listened to the album though I did hear the new single.
I don't remember hearing the song here on the radio much, though they performed it on the biggest show here in Holland.

I'm not sure of the worldwide succes of this album though.
I mostly keep seeing how well it is doing in the UK.
Does anyone know how it's doing worldwide?

At least they can make music that people actually want to buy............

Back