Update for August 15, 2009 on post # 16

mariemarie

Guests
Michael Jackson's Tracks Top Download Charts

He rules '70s, '80s and '90s; Journey, Queen also score

33840-Music2L.jpg

NEW YORK It wouldn't be that strange to find Chuck Berry's "Johnnie B. Goode," Journey's "Don't Stop Believin'" and Michael Jackson's "Black or White" on someone's iPod. Each of these tracks was the top download for its respective decade, according to Nielsen SoundScan year-to-date data ending July 26, 2009.

The top downloaded track of the past year was Flo Rida's "Right Round." It has been downloaded 3.69 million times, trailed closely by the Black Eyed Peas "Boom Boom Pow" at 3.67 million. Predictably, the tracks recorded in the last decade have been purchased at far greater volumes than earlier songs.

The most downloaded track from any other decade is Journey's '80s classic "Don't Stop Believin'" which was downloaded 711,000 times.

Ironically, the artist that owned the 1980s, Michael Jackson, didn't get the top slot. He did rack up 10 of the top 15 downloads overall for that decade. The only non-Jackson songs in the top 10 were "Don't Stop Believin'" (No. 1), Bon Jovi's "Livin' on a Prayer" (No. 5) and Survivor's "Eye of the Tiger" (No. 10).

Jackson's domination actually began in the 1970s, where four of the top five downloads were either his solo tracks or songs he did with the Jackson 5. "Don't Stop 'Til You Get Enough" was No. 1 for the decade. Queen proved potent, charting "We Will Rock You" (No. 5), "Bohemian Rhapsody" (No. 8), "We Are the Champions" (No. 12) and "Fat-Bottomed Girls" (No. 39).

Although the '60s gave birth to some of the greatest rock tracks of all time, Etta James' "At Last" and Louie Armstrong's "What a Wonderful World" secured the top two slots. The Rolling Stones had five of the top 15 downloads.

The '50s' top three proved to be an eclectic mix of rhythm and blues, country and jazz. Berry's "Johnnie B. Goode" was No. 1, followed by Johnny Cash's "Folsom Prison Blues" and Davis, Brubeck and Monk's "Take Five."

Billie Holiday had four of the top 15 tunes downloaded from the '40s. "I'll Be Seeing You" was No. 1. Judy Garland had three within the top 15, lead by "Somewhere Over the Rainbow" (No. 11).

Overall track sales grew to 701 million downloads through July 26 compared to 622 million during the same period the previous year.

TOP DOWNLOADED TRACKS BY DECADE:

1940s

1. Billie Holiday, "I'll Be Seeing You"
2. Ink Spots, "I Don't Want to Set the World on Fire"
3. Andrews Sisters, "Boogie Woogie Bugle Boy"
4. Hank Williams Sr., "I'm So Lonesome I Could Cry"
5. Ella Fitzgerald, Louis Jordan, "Baby It's Cold Outside"
6. Glenn Miller, "In the Mood"
7. Duke Ellington & His Orchestra, "It Don't Mean a Thing"
8. Billie Holiday, "Strange Fruit"
9. Bing Crosby, "Swinging on a Star"
10. Guy Lombardo, "Auld Lang Syne"

1950s

1. Chuck Berry, "Johnny B. Goode"
2. Johnny Cash, "Folsom Prison Blues"
3. Davis/Brubeck/Monk, "Take Five"
4. Bill Haley & The Comets, "Rock Around the Clock"
5. Louis Armstrong "La Vie en Rose"
6. Buddy Holly, "Everyday"
7. Buddy Holly, "That'll Be the Day"
8. Miles Davis, "So What"
9. Louis Armstrong, "A Kiss to Build a Dream On"
10. Buddy Holly, "Peggy Sue"

1960s

1. Etta James, "At Last"
2. Louis Armstrong, "What a Wonderful World"
3. Rolling Stones, "Paint It Black"
4. Van Morrison, "Brown-Eyed Girl"
5. Temptations, "My Girl"
6. Jackson 5, "Who's Loving You"
7. Rolling Stones, "Gimme Shelter"
8. Marvin Gaye & Tammi Terrell, "Ain't No Mountain High Enough"
9. Otis Redding, "Dock of the Bay"
10. Johnny Cash, "Ring of Fire"

1970s

1. Michael Jackson, "Don't Stop 'Til You Get Enough"
2. Michael Jackson, "Rock With You"
3. Jackson 5, "I'll Be There"
4. Jackson 5, "ABC"
5. Queen, "We Will Rock You"
6. Jackson 5, "I Want You Back"
7. Lynyrd Skynyrd, "Sweet Home Alabama"
8. Queen, "Bohemian Rhapsody"
9. Eagles, "Hotel California"
10. Bob Marley & The Wailers, "Three Little Birds"

1980s

1. Journey, "Don't Stop Believin'"
2. Michael Jackson, "Man in the Mirror"
3. Michael Jackson, "Billie Jean"
4. Michael Jackson, "Beat It"
5. Bon Jovi, "Livin' on a Prayer"
6. Michael Jackson, "Smooth Criminal"
7. Michael Jackson, "P.Y.T. (Pretty Young Thing)
8. Michael Jackson, "Thriller"
9. Michael Jackson, "Way You Make Me Feel"
10. Survivor, "Eye of the Tiger"

1990s

1. Michael Jackson, "Black or White"
2. 3 Doors Down, "Kryptonite"
3. Michael Jackson, "Will You Be There"
4. Israel Kamakawiwo'ole, "Somewhere of the Rainbow"
5. Michael Jackson, "Remember the Time"
6. Green Day, "Good Riddance (Time of Your Life)"
7. Disturbed, "Down with the Sickness"
8. Notorious B.I.G., "Hypnotize"
9. Michael Jackson, "You're Not Alone"
10. Nirvana, "Smells Like Teen Spirit"

2000s

1. Flo Rida, "Right Round"
2. Black Eyed Peas, "Boom Boom Pow"
3. Lady Gaga, "Poker Face"
4. The All-American Rejects, "Gives You Hell"
5. Lady Gaga featuring Colby O'Donis. "Just Dance"
6. Soulja Boy Tell 'Em featuring Sammie, "Kiss Me Thru the Phone"
7. Miley Cyrus, "Climb"
8. Kanye West, "Heartless"
9. Kelly Clarkson, "My Life Would Suck Without You"
10. The Fray, "You Found Me"

http://www.adweek.com/aw/content_display/news/media/e3if5c6c7ae5292695f10273bbe578aa43a

¨

Today in
Michael Jackson History

1985 - Michael Jackson bought the ATV music-publishing catalog. Jackson paid $47.5 million for the rights to more than 250 songs written by John Lennon and Paul McCartney.

F1g7m7DWAp5vtud3wDrWhAUJo1_500.jpg

Last edited:
Re: Weekends daily - Aug 14 - 16

*giggle* thanks I like the picture. PMC looks so completely stoned...:D

Jackson's glittery glove up for sale

A glittery glove that Michael Jackson wore when he unveiled his moonwalk on television in 1983 will go under the hammer later this year.
This one isn't like his other glittery gloves, which were made for the right hand and adorned with hand-sewn crystals. This left-handed glove, which accompanied Jackson's fedora and dance moves on Motown's 25th-anniversary TV special, is a modified, store-bought glove covered with a mesh of rhinestones.
The glove, which Darren Julien of Julien's Auctions called 'the Holy Grail of Michael Jackson memorabilia,' will be featured alongside other one-of-a-kind items - such as an early Madonna demo tape and unreleased Jimi Hendrix lyrics - at the Nov. 21 Music Icons auction at the Hard Rock Cafe in New York City's Times Square.
Walter 'Clyde' Orange, a founding member of the Commodores, has been holding onto the glove since Jackson gave it to him in 1983.
Orange said he got to know Jackson when the Commodores toured with the Jackson 5 in the 1970s. Orange would always ask the young entertainer for an autograph, but Jackson refused, saying Orange was the more famous of the two. The autograph request became a private joke.
They met again in March 1983 when the Motown special was taped. Jackson sang with his brothers, then took the stage alone to wow the world with his moonwalk during his solo performance of Billie Jean.
Orange found his friend backstage and again requested an autograph. Jackson gave him the glove instead.
After Jackson's June 25 death at age 50, Orange decided the glove was too significant to keep.
'There's a hundred other gloves out there, but this is the one you want. He blew up after that (performance) with Billie Jean,' Orange, 62, said in an interview. 'The world should see this. This is the first. That's the song that made him shoot through the roof as a superstar.'
Orange said he hopes the glove will find a permanent home at the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame or a similar institution. And he's happy that proceeds from the sale will benefit MusiCares, an organisation that helps musicians struggling with substance abuse.

http://bigpondnews.com/articles/World/2009/08/14/Jacksons_glittery_glove_up_for_sale_362607.html

Jackson effect propels Chrysalis

Michael Jackson’s unexpected death in June has led to an “extraordinary surge in sales of his work” that will boost profits at Chrysalis, the music publisher said.
“It’s good news that his songs are being played on the radio,” said Andy Mollett, chief financial officer of the company, which receives royalties from several of the artist’s songs, including “Thriller”, “Rock With You” and “Off The Wall”, through its relationship with the songwriter Rod Temperton.

However, cancellation of 50 planned concerts at the O2 arena in London means Chrysalis will miss out on what would have been a lucrative revenue stream.

“In the long run, it would probably be better for us if he were still performing,” Mr Mollet said.

He warned the company had not yet seen increased returns from the Jackson catalogue and the full effect would probably not be felt for several months. It can take as long as six months for royalties to trickle down.

Shares in Chrysalis rose 13.65 per cent to 77p on Friday as it reported results in line with management expectations for the quarter ending in June. Mr Mollett said the current quarter had started strongly, and for the full year he expected growth in net publisher’s share (NPS), an industry measure of revenues that represents the royalties a publisher receives after payments to artists and writers: “The music industry is having a tough time – but publishing is a robust part of it.”

Revivals, such as the renewed popularity of 80’s music, have shown music catalogues are assets with long-term potential, he said.
The company intends to expand its catalogue, with one acquisition close to completion and several others in the pipeline, Mr Mollet said. The company has £37.4m available for acquisitions in an unused loan facility.

“Management is good at identifying, acquiring, and managing complementary music catalogues,” said Dominic Buch, media analyst at Numis, which has a “buy” recommendation for Chrysalis “on the strength of its publishing catalogue”.

Net debt at the end of June was £12.1m, up £5.3m from a year earlier, largely due to acquisition in June of the catalogue of songwriter Richard Marx.

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/e7d197e6-88a0-11de-b50f-00144feabdc0.html

About the rumour that Michael outbid Paul Michael was asked about this in an interview he did for Gold Magazine. He said he didn't outbid Paul as Paul never bid on it. It's on the Jetzi Web site in the Books section:

GOLD GIRL: You outbid Paul McCartney for the Beatles archive. What was so special about it?

MICHAEL JACKSON: No, I didn't, he didn't bid for it. It was for sale and I liked it and I bought it, like buying a piece of art.

http://jetzi-mjvideo.com/books/gm/gm1.html

Today in
Michael Jackson History

1985 - Michael Jackson outbid Paul McCartney and Yoko Ono for the ATV music-publishing catalog. Jackson paid $47.5 million for the rights to more than 250 songs written by John Lennon and Paul McCartney.

F1g7m7DWAp5vtud3wDrWhAUJo1_500.jpg

[SIZE=+1]One Month later, Michael Jackson posters still selling strong[/SIZE]
Michael Jackson posters are still a hot seller on postergods.com

lg.php

One month ago, people were shocked to hear the story of Michael Jacksons death. We now come to find that indeed drugs did play a part in his death and many people are still looking for answers. That being said, people are playing his music more than ever and memories of him are coming out stronger than ever.

The demand for Michael Jackson things is at the highest it has ever been. Michael Jackson's father remarked, he wishes Michael was alive to see what great support he has. Somehow, somewhere, Michael is looking down at us and smiling.

People are rushing to buy Michael Jackson posters, they want to make sure the grab all the new styles and designs that seem to be released so frequently. "I love the new 3-d Michael Jackson poster!" one customer proclaimed, "it's amazing to see Michael in such a life like model on my walls."

Postergods.com carries over 25,000 posters but Michael Jackson has been a top seller every day the last month. Even though, summer always includes a big list of popular selling block buster movie posters and lts of people are grabbing Entourage posters, Michael stands above them all. People at postergods.com expect this demand for Michael Jackson posters to continue for a long time coming.

BGT stars to dance for Jackson
SNN15TV4G-682_867443a.jpg

Dancing up a storm ... Diversity

A HOST of Britain's Got Talent stars will take centre stage at a Michael Jackson dance tribute.

Diversity, Signature, George Sampson, Aidan Davis, MD Productions, Sugar Free and Flava are all lined up to take part in the event, organised by the United Dance Organisation (UDO).
It will take place on August 30 as the finale to the UDO World street Dance Championships at Blackpool's Winter Gardens.
UDO chief executive Simon Dibley said; "Michael Jackson wasn't just a singer, he was also one of the world's best dancers, inspiring thousands of people.
"This tribute, on the same weekend as Jackson's Birthday, is our way of giving thanks to him and we're confident that the all star line-up will put on a great show for everyone."
Visit www.blackpoollive.com to book tickets.

TV Guide Video Tribute to Michael Jackson

Please forgive me if this has been posted already but the TV Guide chanel has done a wonderful tribute to Michael! The most touching memory comes from a video producer named "Sam Emerson" who talked about MJ and got verry emotional. It was verry genuine. Enjoy.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ibA0xQ6jias

Re: TV Guide Video Tribute to Michael Jackson

thanks for sharing .great video

Re: Weekends daily - Aug 14 - 16 Check out the TV Guide tribute

Celebrity-sponsored scholarships are important because they set a standard for giving, says UNCF's Lomax. High-profile benefactors of the fund, like Michael Jackson and Ray Charles, raise awareness of the cause and help bring in more money to help more students. "I think what they've done serves as an example," he says, "and I hope it is an encouragement for other entertainers and celebrities."

http://lifewise.canoe.ca/BackToSchool2009/Forbes/2009/08/11/10427871-forbes.html

Michael Jackson news for August 15 coming up.

Michael Jackson News for August 15, 2009:

http://hnn.us/roundup/entries/114465.html
Michael Jackson Opus to include unseen lyrics and pictures

Source: Times (UK) (8-14-09)
The only new official Michael Jackson book is being compiled after weeks of legal wrangling. It will include lyrics never seen before, plus drawings and pictures from the singer’s personal archives.

The Michael Jackson Opus will be handbound in leather in a silk clamshell case and is being produced by the team behind several other Opus books, including one on Manchester United that changed hands this year for £1 million, making it the most expensive sports publication on record.

Plans to publish the book began before Jackson died. Last week a judge in Los Angeles ruled that the project could go ahead and a team of researchers has now started the huge task of going through his notebooks and boxes, as well as other material associated with him that is scattered around the world, with the agreement of his estate.

The 13in by 18in book is likely to be a huge hit with Jackson fans and will also feature handwritten lyrics that never made it on to any of his albums. The researchers are also hoping to find drawings that he did for his most famous albums, including Thriller.

The book will include a feature called augmented reality, with which a computer and webcam can be used to show 3D images emerging from the page.

Days before he died, Jackson was expressing his enthusiasm for the book, according to Peter Lopez, his entertainment lawyer. “There is no question that Michael was really excited about it,” he said. “He thought it was grand on a scale he had never seen before...

http://newsblaze.com/story/20090815091558zzzz.nb/topstory.html

Rahman Producing Michael Jackson Tribute Album

Oscar winner A.R. Rahman is reportedly developing an album in memory of entertainment icon Michael Jackson, which will include musicians from all over the world.
According to reports, besides 20 Rahman's original creations, it will also include a few recreated Michael Jackson numbers. Rahman collaborated with Michael on a track titled 'Ekam Satyam' in 1999.
Rahman met Michael after the last Oscars in Los Angeles (USA) and says about the meeting: "...we vibed very well...He was concerned about developmental issues such as Global Warming and about wars and its damages to the human community. He asked me to compose a unity anthem on the likes of "We are the World" for him. I nodded in awe ...!" Michael showed him a five second example of his dance moves, about which Rahman says: "It was like a lightning strike".
Rahman is reportedly not talking much about the album yet due to the concern that it might jeopardize his plans. He is said to be making trips from India to the US regarding this project.
Welcoming this project, acclaimed Indo-American statesman Rajan Zed says that Michael Jackson had a special bond with India and Hinduism. He reportedly learned how to meditate and he was vegetarian. He could explain the significance of Hindu deities Ganesha and Nataraja. According to reports, he was reading India's first Nobel laureate Rabindranath Tagore's poems during the last days of his life. When Michael left India after Mumbai concert in 1996, he wrote: "...You are my special love, India. Forever, may God always bless you", Zed, who is chairperson of Indo-American Leadership Confederation, stated in Nevada (USA) today.
Rahman, who has reportedly recorded sales of over 300 million, was called "Mozart of Madras'' by Time magazine. Rahman sees music "as a way to connect to spirituality and embrace it" and for Ccreating harmony in troubled times".

http://www2.canada.com/windsorstar/news/story.html?id=b6a93bd7-4ec2-46e4-8a3f-f641b2e5fd3c

Beatles copyrights in Sir Paul's sights

In nine short years, Paul McCartney will hit the jackpot again.
The 67-year-old former Beatle -- already worth about £440 million (C$800 million), according to a report by Britain's Sunday Times in April -- will be able to start reclaiming the copyrights to the lucrative Beatles catalogue.
He and John Lennon, the Fab Four's primary songwriters, lost control of pop's most coveted catalogue as the band was falling apart.

They continued to receive songwriting royalties, but have lost out on a massive windfall over the years from licensing deals.
All but a handful of Beatles copyrights eventually ended up with Michael Jackson, and these 250-or-so songs form the crown jewel of Sony/ATV Music Publishing, a 50-50 joint venture between the late singer and Sony Corp.
The U.S. Copyright Act of 1976 gave songwriters the ability to recapture the publishing share of the copyright on pre-1978 works after two consecutive 28-year terms or 56 years. That means Beatles compositions registered in 1962 will be eligible for reversion in the United States in 2018, while songs written in 1970 will be eligible in 2026.
Under a clause in the Copyright Act, heirs of songwriters who die during the first 28-year term can recapture the publisher's portion of copyrighted works at the end of that term. In the case of Lennon, who died in 1980, the publisher's portion of his share of the Lennon-McCartney catalogue for songs written in 1962 became eligible for reversion in 1990, while songs written in 1970 were eligible in 1998.
Lennon and McCartney effectively lost control of the group's song rights even while the group was still a recording entity, in 1969.
That was when Northern Songs, the company established six years earlier solely to publish their joint compositions by English publisher Dick James and Beatles manager Brian Epstein, was sold to British media tycoon Lew Grade's ATV Music. Ownership of ATV subsequently passed to Australian billionaire Robert Holmes a Court and then, in 1985, to Jackson, who paid $47.5 million for the company.
In 1995, Sony came into the picture, forming a joint venture with trusts formed by Jackson, creating a new entity: Sony/ATV Music Publishing. Under the deal, Sony paid Jackson $110 million and gave him a 50-per-cent stake in the merged company, which at the time was valued at about $500 million, according to the 2007 book Northern Songs: The True Story of the Beatles' Song Publishing Empire by Brian Southall with Rupert Perry.
Sources estimate that Sony/ATV is now valued at about $1.7 billion.

Michael Jackson HIStory for August 15, 2009:

1995 - Michael Jackson's single "You Are Not Alone" was released.

1993 - Michael Jackson began the second leg of his tour in Hong Kong

To Michael with love

By Marisa de Silva“Born To Amuse, To Inspire, To Delight. Here One Day, Gone One Night. Like A Sunset
Dying With The Rising Of The Moon, Gone Too Soon…” – “Gone too Soon” – Michael Jackson
June 26, 2009 – Beijing, China - I woke up (quite literally) to the most shocking and devastating news…“Michael Jackson has died!” My mind was in a whirl immediately. “What? I had to have heard wrong. There’s NO WAY Michael Jackson can be dead! I managed to get myself to the TV still in a daze…my mind a complete blank. And even as I saw the news and the crawler at bottom of the screen, I just couldn’t believe it! We all just stared at the TV in complete silence, in what can only be described as an absolute state of shock!
To-Michael.jpg
In Beijing for a friendship concert to perform with the Shillong Chamber Choir from India, slowly but surely the news began to sink in for the members of Soul Sounds. There was No way, we as a choir, having lived, been heavily influenced and inspired, could not pay tribute to the uncontested ‘King of Pop!’
The idea first started to take shape on our flight back home, thus triggering a steady flow of group mails being passed back and forth between the choir and Soundarie David, sharing news, links, and potential choral arrangements and so on with each other.
A rather long list of all Michael’s songs was put together and then dissected at the first practice. How do you put together a two hour programme, when you love every single song? Selecting the repertoire was probably the most difficult aspect of the show (next to finding sponsors, that is). Each song was just better than the next! We had to quite literally go from one song to another, either “accepting” or “vetoing” songs (as democratically as possible), to come up with the ‘Final Programme.’
Thereafter, came the more challenging part of the show for us; Movements! Learning so many different dance routines for just one show must, (if nothing else) act as a true testament to our love for MJ! The moans and groans have been far less, the enthusiasm levels to actually “learn” new moves right from scratch, has been quite high, and losing a few kilos never hurt anyone right? So, all in all, what started out as quite a depressing day (or weeks for some of us), transformed itself into the celebration of the life of an “Extraordinary” artist, or as Queen Latifah quite rightly said at his Memorial, “…the Biggest Star on Earth!”
The tribute will feature some of his greatest hits, from the days he was known as the “35-year-old midget” with the Jackson 5, to his solo career, from the ‘80’s, right through to the 2000’s. And as Michael’s music is so versatile, it lends itself to the interpretation of a choral group as well.
Veteran musicians Mignonne Fernando and Christopher Prins will be joining Internationally acclaimed Sri Lankan choral group Soul Sounds, directed by Soundarie David-Rodrigo, in presenting A Tribute to Michael, With Love, with Dushyanth Weeraman making a special guest appearance. The show, Co-Sponsored by Pepsi Cola, will be held on August 26, at 7.30 p.m., at the Lionel Wendt. Tickets are now available at the Wendt.

http://www.sundaytimes.lk/090816/Magazine/sundaytimesmirror_05.html

There is nothing new to report but keep checking back for any updates on Michael Jackson news.

Michael Jackson HIStory for August 16, 2009:

1995 - Michael Jackson's "History: Past, Present & Future Book 1" was certified Gold and 5 times Platinum.

2004 - Michael Jackson, and five of his siblings, attended the first day of a hearing in which Jackson's attorney questioned Santa Barbara County District Attorney Tom Sneddon. The questions related to a November 2003 search warrant of the office of a private investigator that had been hired by Jackson's former attorney.

LINK TO THE KING OF POP

By WILLIAM SMITH

wsmith@thehawkeye.com

WEST POINT -- Standing 65 feet tall and decorated with the blue, red and yellow lights common on other amusement park rides, the Ferris wheel at the West Point Sweet Corn Festival looks fairly unassuming.

But what many people who rode it Saturday didn't know was that it once belonged to the late King of Pop, Michael Jackson.

"Oh my god, I didn't know that," said Joyce Caauwe, after being informed of the Ferris wheel's origin. "Cool."

The Fort Madison woman had just stepped off the ride with two children from her day care, Nathan Huss, 7, and Raven Huss, 5, and was on her way to eat some sweet corn when she heard the news.

"Nathan, that was Michael Jackson's Ferris wheel," Caauwe said.

"Michael Jackson?" Nathan replied in disbelief.

The Ferris wheel was bought at auction by Archway Amusements of Imperial, Mo., last fall when Jackson was forced to sell his Neverland Ranch. Archway Amusements handles a number of regional fairs, including the West Point Sweet Corn Festival.

But those who didn't read about it in the newspaper or hear it on the radio had no way of knowing. To the unassuming eye, it looks just like any other Ferris wheel.

"I heard it was going to be down here, but I didn't know that was it," said Lindsey Webb of Biggsville, Ill., after stepping off the ride. "I thought it might be bigger, but it's an average size."

An Archway employee running the Ferris wheel confirmed the ride belonged to Jackson, but he said it's not a connection the company actively publicizes.

Considering Jackson's controversial life, the connection could be viewed as negative. But for Blake Schrepfer, 10, riding Jackson's Ferris wheel was a dream come true.

"It was awesome," he said. "It was the best ride ever."

Like many new Jackson fans, Blake started listening to the King of Pop shortly after his death in June. It was his mother, Julie Schrepfer, who told Blake how cool Jackson was.

Once he heard "Thriller" and "Beat It," Blake was hooked.

"I just bought him a CD of Michael Jackson's greatest hits last week, and we listened to it on the way here," said Schrepfer, a West Point native who now lives in Fort Madison.

Blake already has started practicing famous Jackson moves like the moonwalk and the toe-stand, and for Julie, it brought back memories of her own dancing childhood.

"His death kind of brought it all back for me. I forgot how great he was," she said. "I was born in '74, and I used to break dance in the basement with all my cousins, and I knew every song by heart."

Not everyone was impressed. Michael Brinck, who traveled from his home in Atlanta to visit his family during the Sweet Corn Festival, was expecting more from the ride.

"I thought it would maybe have some music to it. Maybe a shiny glove," he said with a chuckle.

Then again, Brinck never agreed with Jackson's lifestyle and liked his music even less.

"I'm not a fan. Not one bit. I've never spent a dime on his stuff," he said.

Most of those interviewed were fairly apathetic about the Ferris wheel, riding it out of curiosity rather than fandom.

"I didn't dislike him," Jeff Wellman of Burlington said after stepping off the Ferris wheel.

Brigette DeWitt of New London was equally indifferent, though she did enjoy the ride. So did her daughter Mariah, 10, and her son, Branson, 7. Both had just experienced their first Ferris wheel ride.

"It was nice and clean, and smooth running," DeWitt said.

But for Blake Schrepfer, it was more than that. The Ferris wheel was a connection to a pop icon he'll never have the chance to meet.

"I'm going on it again," he said before dashing toward the line.

The Ferris wheel will remain in operation today during the last day of the Sweet Corn Festival.

http://www.thehawkeye.com/Story/ferris-wheel-081609

http://www.digitalspy.com/music/a171817/two-months-at-no1-for-jackson-albums.html

Two months at No.1 for Jackson albums

Sunday, August 16 2009, 2:00pm EDT
By Nick Levine, Music Editor
160x120_michael_jackson_2.jpg
WENN

Michael Jackson has now spent the last two months on top of the UK albums chart.
His two-disc compilation The Essential notches up a seventh week at number one, having previously replaced another Jackson collection, Number Ones, in the top spot.
The Essential is one of six Jackson albums in this week's top 40 - the same tally as seven days ago.
Behind Jackson, Beyoncé's I Am... Sasha Fierce climbs to a new peak of two, while Black Eyed Peas' The E.N.D. holds steady at three.
A reissue of The Stone Roses' debut album is the highest new entry of the week, landing at five. The Stone Roses, originally released in 1989, previously peaked at nine.
The top ten albums in full (click where possible for our reviews):
1. (1) Michael Jackson: 'The Essential'
2. (5) Beyoncé: 'I Am... Sasha Fierce'
3. (3) Black Eyed Peas: 'The E.N.D.'
4. (4) Paolo Nutini: 'Sunny Side Up'
5. (-) The Stone Roses: 'The Stone Roses'
6. (2) Florence and the Machine: 'Lungs'
7. (7) La Roux: 'La Roux'
8. (6) Lady GaGa: 'The Fame'
9. (11) Noisettes: 'Wild Young Hearts'
10. (8) Kasabian: 'West Ryder Pauper Lunatic Asylum'
Source: Official Chart Company