Thriller era recordings 81/84
Behind the mask - re-done and released in 2010

Dangerous era recordings 89/91
She Got It
Serious Effect
work that body
Mind is the magic
We be ballin'
Do you know where your children are (although I've also read its more History era recording 94/95)

Invincible era recordings 99/2001
Xscape
Place with no name
Slave to the rhythm
blue gangsta
Shout
Another Day - re-done and released in 2010
Hollywood Tonight - re-done and released in 2010

Post-Ivincible era 2001/2009
Hold my hand - re-done and released in 2010
Best of Joy - re-done and released in 2010

I know there's loads more unreleased songs out there - but the reson I specifically chose these songs is because these are the songs I have and want to know when they where recorded.

Mind Is The Magic as well as Shout actually were officially released.
Hollywood Tonight was written in the Invincible sessions, but MJ reworked it a bit in 2007.

Really? Mind is the magic and Shout were officially released?
When how, where?
Mind is the magic although it sounds amazing still sounds like a demo not quite complete.
So on Hollywood Tonight was it only written during the vince sessions or are they vince session vocals or are they 2007 vocals.?

Really? Mind is the magic and Shout were officially released?
When how, where?
Mind is the magic although it sounds amazing still sounds like a demo not quite complete.
So on Hollywood Tonight was it only written during the vince sessions or are they vince session vocals or are they 2007 vocals.?

Mind Is The Magic: http://www.amazon.com/Mind-Is-The-M...1ODK/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1337897666&sr=8-2

And regarding HT: I think MJ wrote it during the Vince sessions and recorded his vocals in this time as well. You might wanna check out this one:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/joe-vogel/inside-michael-jacksons-h_b_834857.html

Shout is on the Cry-single.

This link might be helpful to you. (Just my librarian eyes peekin' in...)

Wow it's all here ! Thanks.
How come A Place With No Name isn't on the list? I'm guessing not every song made it on the list !?

In the book "For The Record"? Because it's from 2007. Nobody knew this song back then.

Behind The Mask - recorded in 1981, reworked version released in 2010
She Got It - recorded in 1990, unreleased
Serious Effect - recorded in 1990, unreleased
Work That Body - recorded in 1990, unreleased
Mind Is The Magic - recorded in 1989, released in 1995, album: Dreams & Illusions by Siegfried & Roy
We Be Ballin' - recorded in 1997, unreleased
Do You Know Where Your Children Are - recorded in 1990, unreleased
Escape - recorded in 2000, unreleased
A Place With No Name - recorded in 1998, unreleased
Slave To The Rhythm - recorded in 2003, unreleased
Blue Gangsta - recorded in 1999, unreleased
Shout - recorded in 2000, released in 2001, Cry Single
Another Day - recorded in 1999, reworked version released in 2010
Hollywood Tonight - recorded in 1999, reworked version released in 2010
Hold My Hand - recorded in 2007, reworked version released in 2010
Best Of Joy - recorded in 2008, reworked version released in 2010

^^
Thanks very much!!! It's nice to know when all these amazing songs were done.

So Slave to the Rhythm was done after invincible - I wonderd why how such an amazing song would get cut from the album - but it was made after invincible that explains it, prob was going to be on the next album that never happend.

STTR was actually recorded in 99

I thought that too, but in the Man in the Music: The Creative Life and Work of Michael Jackson, Joe Vogel says 2003. He also says that the song was originally worked on with Jimmy Jam & Terry Lewis (so it's possible that it is recorded for HIStory album) but revisited many times. Joe interviewed many people for his book so I believe him. What is your source?

Mh, I just checked Man in the Music. It says MJ revisited it many times, most recently with Tricky Stewart. I always thought MJ has never been in the studio with Tricky Stewart, but Tricky rather "updated" the song on his own for the "Michael" album.

Does anybody have more info? Did MJ work with him? Cause if not, then Joe Voges has some false information. In this case, the recording date of 2003 could be wrong, too.

Mh, I just checked Man in the Music. It says MJ revisited it many times, most recently with Tricky Stewart. I always thought MJ has never been in the studio with Tricky Stewart, but Tricky rather "updated" the song on his own for the "Michael" album.

Does anybody have more info? Did MJ work with him? Cause if not, then Joe Voges has some false information. In this case, the recording date of 2003 could be wrong, too.

No, he did not worked with him, he said that himself. He said that everything was prepared for their meeting and that they talked about working together for MJ's new album. But that didn't happen because MJ died.

But recording date could be right. I don't know..

I don't really remember where I read that it was RECORDED in 99, I actually thought I might have heard it from Joe himself. It's such an unknown song, getting reliable information on it is hard.

Tricky said in an interview last year that Slave To The Rhythm was originally done by Michael with Babyface and LA Reid, not Jimmy Jam and Terry Lewis

It's really hard to distinguish MJ's later vocals, I mean when we hear Thriller era vocals you can instantly tell its early 80's you can tell the differance between Bad era vocals to Dangerous era vocals, but then it starts getting harder as Dangerous era vocals to History era vocals are pretty simlier but you can just about tell which is which. But then comparing Invincible vocals to anything recorded after invincible is quite hard because we rarely got to hear anything after invincible as nothing was really released, but with Slave to the Ryhthm it does sound like it was done after invincible, his voice sounds I don't know - different to the Invincible era some how. So 2003 could be possible. I don't know.

I have a book called "For the Record" written by 2 men I believe are Michael fans too.
In the book, there's information about virtually every song they could find information about both released and unreleased. It's a great book and I think you would like it.

Slave to the rhythm sounds more late 80'ties/early 90'ties to me. Very fresh, young vocals. And lyrically it fits too. Curious about when it was written and when it was recorded. Someday we'll find out.

He uses his same type of vocals in We've Had Enough IMO. Same deep tone, same ad libs at the end (oh nooo, oooh noo, etc. with the break down).

It is definitely recorded around Invincible era. The only question is if it was recorded before or after the album was released.

It is definitely recorded around Invincible era. The only question is if it was recorded before or after the album was released.
Is it? I haven't read all of this thread, so maybe I missed something about certain quotes of people, but can you say why you know this? I thought no one knew?

@ Pentum: you're right about the o no, o no part.., but the way he sings rhythm in the end sounds so youngish... And the rest too, lol. I just listened to 'We've had enough' and I hear a different voice. We've had enough sounds a bit more nasal to me.

Is it? I haven't read all of this thread, so maybe I missed something about certain quotes of people, but can you say why you know this? I thought no one knew?

@ Pentum: you're right about the o no, o no part.., but the way he sings rhythm in the end sounds so youngish... And the rest too, lol. I just listened to 'We've had enough' and I hear a different voice. We've had enough sounds a bit more nasal to me.

It's just my opinion, because vocally it sounds like Invincible era to me. But Joe Vogel said it was originally worked on with Jimmy Jam & Terry Lewis so it could be HIStory era too. Writers of the song are Babyface & LA Reid so that means that it could be Dangerous era, HIStory era or Invincible era, but I think it is not Dangerous era vocally. But again he could have re-recorded the vocals in 2003 like Joe wrote in his book, like he re-recorded For All Time during the Dangerous sessions or Much Too Soon & Little Susie during the HIStory sessions.

Back