"UNCF Honors Michael Jackson", BET... Info/comments about this?

PCR

Proud Member
I am sorry if this has been already posted, but I can't find it :(

Has anybody seen this? Any links to YouTube? Any uploads/comments?

2010 “An Evening of Stars” Tribute to Lionel Richie
January 23-24, 2010 (on BET)

UNCF Honors Michael Jackson - All Star Cast!

In a special segment, the King of Pop’s is recognized by UNCF for his long-time generosity and foresight. More than 20 years ago, Michael Jackson endowed UNCF with a scholarship in his name that continues providing aid to students. Richie’s worldwide hit, “We Are The World,” the biggest selling single of all time, which was penned with Jackson, is also remembered in an emotional performance by Stevie Wonder, Natalie Cole, James Ingram and Erica Campbell.

Source: http://www.facebook.com/UNCFAnEveningOfStars?v=app_4949752878

Please... anybody? Or a link to any threads? If already posted, please feel free to delete :) (but tell me the thread, please!) ;)

I saw the show last night..but was drifting a little. Yeah they gave an "Appreciation" Tribute to Mike during the show. I thought that was nice of them. They were talking about We Are The World. :) Since it just aired last night; might not be on youtube yet.

I am sorry if this has been already posted, but I can't find it :(

Has anybody seen this? Any links to YouTube? Any uploads/comments?

2010 “An Evening of Stars” Tribute to Lionel Richie
January 23-24, 2010 (on BET)

UNCF Honors Michael Jackson - All Star Cast!

In a special segment, the King of Pop’s is recognized by UNCF for his long-time generosity and foresight. More than 20 years ago, Michael Jackson endowed UNCF with a scholarship in his name that continues providing aid to students. Richie’s worldwide hit, “We Are The World,” the biggest selling single of all time, which was penned with Jackson, is also remembered in an emotional performance by Stevie Wonder, Natalie Cole, James Ingram and Erica Campbell.

Source: http://www.facebook.com/UNCFAnEveningOfStars?v=app_4949752878

Please... anybody? Or a link to any threads? If already posted, please feel free to delete :) (but tell me the thread, please!) ;)

I haven't seen this, but the line I highlighted is just wrong. Since when it's Richie's hit-_-, to be honest it was Michael on his own who wrote the song, and was generous enough to share the credit with Richie, but everyone knows Richie didn't write any part of it.

i really really appreciate the tribute. still..though it sounds like i am always kicking every artist that isn't MJ, i'm not. i'm just finding it disturbingly true on how without MJ, music seems dead. they can sing, there, but it sounds like a dead church choir, and reminds me of how much i do not want a remake of that song for Haiti. i'll just give apart from it. i promise, if i ever hear music that sounds alive, without MJ, i'll be the first to say so. it could be a get back for them giving first billing to Ritchie for the song, there, that it sounds so dead. but don't blame me. blame...karma or somn. it really sounds dead. something in the musical air doesn't like misassigning credit, i guess.

but the tribute is no less appreciated.

i really really appreciate the tribute. still..though it sounds like i am always kicking every artist that isn't MJ, i'm not. i'm just finding it disturbingly true on how without MJ, music seems dead. they can sing, there, but it sounds like a dead church choir, and reminds me of how much i do not want a remake of that song for Haiti. i'll just give apart from it. i promise, if i ever hear music that sounds alive, without MJ, i'll be the first to say so. it could be a get back for them giving first billing to Ritchie for the song, there, that it sounds so dead. but don't blame me. blame...karma or somn. it really sounds dead. something in the musical air doesn't like misassigning credit, i guess.

I agree completely! Music was stale before MJ passed but now it seems even more so. No more real creativity. I remember back in the 80's everyone was throwing out good albums! but that's also cause they were all competing. Like Madonna might be like "My album has to be better than Prince" and so forth. If you got Ciara competing against Rhianna..um it ain't that same. lol. And because Michael was still competion then these artist today have nothing to beat. So they will just put out whatever and sale their image. It's sad. It really is.:no:

I haven't seen this, but the line I highlighted is just wrong. Since when it's Richie's hit-_-, to be honest it was Michael on his own who wrote the song, and was generous enough to share the credit with Richie, but everyone knows Richie didn't write any part of it.

I know, Michael basically wrote the entire song. I have the demo on my Ipod. It's basically the same thing, just some of the words are changed, so now the song makes sense. lol That's what a demo is for I guess. But yea, Michael pretty much wrote the song, and let Lionel add a few things here and there.

:agree:

I completely agree with everything you said. When I watched that video of them singing "We Are The World" it didn't sound right to me. There was just something missing you know? I also agree, I'm not looking forward to that remake of "We Are The World." Why couldn't they just write another song? I don't know...but if those artists who are taking part in re-recording the song are so talented like everyone says they are, then they could have just wrote another song, and left the classic alone.

I believe Richie came up with a part of the melody, and some lyrics but Michael re-wrote all the lyrics and most of the song.

i don't think MJ would have put that demo on the boxset if he hadn't written all the music and the words that made up the hook. and Lionel wrote the rest of the lyric. besides, there's that report that Quincy Jones told MJ to take the demo to Lionel Ritchie, and have Ritchie make some changes to the lyric. it would seem that MJ was trying to make that point, by putting that demo and other 'unfinished' demos on the boxset.

As always... I agree with you.

I really do.

It's....

it's as though the fantasy...the childlike joy and wonder of the way instruments come together and the way words form and sound in that lilting fashion....

it's all gone.

now it's just drawings on paper.

not notes on the horizon of imagination.

As always... I agree with you.

I really do.

It's....

it's as though the fantasy...the childlike joy and wonder of the way instruments come together and the way words form and sound in that lilting fashion....

it's all gone.

now it's just drawings on paper.

not notes on the horizon of imagination.

my god. that is a PERFECT description and comparison!

i'm just finding it disturbingly true on how without MJ, music seems dead. they can sing, there, but it sounds like a dead church choir, and reminds me of how much i do not want a remake of that song for Haiti. i'll just give apart from it. i promise, if i ever hear music that sounds alive, without MJ, i'll be the first to say so. it could be a get back for them giving first billing to Ritchie for the song, there, that it sounds so dead. it really sounds dead. something in the musical air doesn't like misassigning credit, i guess.

:agree:

I completely agree with everything you said. When I watched that video of them singing "We Are The World" it didn't sound right to me. There was just something missing you know?

First of all, thanks for finding this for me, I had missed it completely :)

Second.. you are right.
I just heard them singing and I was like.... yeah :mello:
No emotion.
No feelings.
Nothing like the original song sounds.

Sometimes I feel like I am turning into such a dark person, sad and confused most of the time. I wasn't that bad months ago... even music doesn't sound to me the way it used to. This is not right, no right :no:

I don´t know anything about UNCF, I just read UNICEF and thought Michael has probably given lots of money to them and they want to honor him.

Back