'Unbelievable' by Notorious B.I.G. : A possible influence for Unbreakable?

Gonetoosoon

Proud Member
I recently bought Biggie Smalls' debut album - 'Ready to Die' - released in 1994. As I was listening to the different tracks, I came across this song

The name of the song is 'Unbelievable' and I couldn't help but notice the funky hook that goes throughout the song..

It has a very similar sound to that seen on Unbreakable and Invincible on Michael's 2001 album. We know that B.I.G even rapped (post-humous) on Unbreakable. Is it possible Michael was influenced specifically by this track/sound and this is more of a tribute to him than first thought?

Just throwing some ideas around here and I could be wrong! I just thought it was very interesting.

Thoughts?

I heard that song many years ago, and for sure it has a lot of Unbreakable beat in it, and I am sure that Michael got inspired by it and then build on it until he got Unbreakable.

Really?

Two replies?

MJJC really doesn't care much for Michael's music. It's much more interested in discussing the same recycled shit again and again. I actually thought this was an interesting find. It's not just this thread. It's throughout the whole forum. Music is Michael's true legacy. Nothing else compares. Why is there not deeper analysis of it? There's hundreds upon hundreds of pages for things like Michael finding love. Yet music threads receive about 1 page at best. It's a joke.

That's a great find Gonetoosoon, I do hear the similarities. Now that I look it up, I see it's on who sampled too. There's about six different writers credited for that track, but I'd be interested in hearing how it came about and who brought what ideas to the table. I know Michael once said it was one of his favourites off the album.

I'd love to hear more about the Invincible sessions, and his work in general. I'm hoping Vogel's book will help bring more focus to Michael's music, songwriting, and work-life. I don't know if people (in general) realize how brilliant he was in that sense.

I was thinking the same thing the first time i heard that song. That's a great find.

Back