UK Midweek chart

bobmoo79

Proud Member
So Florence and the Machine may be have met the end of their frustrating (for them!) run at No.2. they stayed their for 5 weeks, but it looks as though Beyonce and BEPs may have kicked Florence down to No.4.
I haven't found any sales information, so I have no idea how close it is at the top but expect it to be very close this week!

We'll have to wait to see whether MJ can hold on to No.1 for his 8th consecutive week as UK No.1.

TUESDAY (11/08/09)

1 Michael Jackson
2 BEPs
3 Beyonce
4 Florence & The Machine
5 Stone Roses

Here are the rest!

12 Bad
17 Thriller
22 Motown Years
24 Off The Wall
38 The Collection

WEDNESDAY UPDATE (12/08/09) - WITH TOP5 SALES!

1 Michael Jackson - The Essential 11k
2 BEPs 8.2k
3 Beyonce 7.4k
4 Florence & The Machine 7.1k
5 Stone Roses 7k

Top 10
9 Noisettes
Chicane

Top 15
13 Lily Allen
12 MJ - BAD
15 MJ - Thriller

Top 20
Eminem
Alison Krauss
18 James Morrison
19 MJ & J5 - The Motown Years
Green Day

Top 30
22 Killers [D&A]
24 MJ - Off The Wall
Daniel Merriweather
U2
26 Pink

Top 40
32 Calvin Harris
U2 [18 singles]
Elbow
36 Temper Trap
37 MJ - The Collection
Jason Mraz

Thurday Update (13/08/09)

1 Michael Jackson 14.4k
2 BEPs 10.7k
3 Beyonce 10.1k
4 Florence & The Machine 9.2k
5 Stone Roses 9k

Top 10
9 Noisettes
Chicane

Top 15
12 BAD
13 Lily Allen
15 Thriller

Top 20
Eminem
Alison Krauss
18 James Morrison
23 Off The Wall
Daniel Merriweather
Green Day

Top 30
21 Killers [D&A]
22 The Motown Years
U2
26 Pink
27 Temper Trap

Top 40
U2 [18 singles]
Elbow
36 Abba
37 The Collection
Jason Mraz

Friday Update (14/08/09)

1 Michael Jackson 17.7k
2 BEPs 13.5k
3 Beyonce 13.1k
4 Florence & The Machine 11.5k
5 Paolo Nutini 11.4k

Top 10
6 Stone Roses
9 Noisettes
Chicane

Top 15
12 BAD
13 Lily Allen
15 MJ [Thriller]

Top 20
20 The Motown Years
Eminem
Alison Krauss
18 James Morrison
Daniel Merriweather

Top 30
21 Killers [D&A]
Green Day
U2
24 Pink
25 Off The Wall
27 Temper Trap

Top 40
33 U2 [18 singles]
Elbow
36 Abba
37 The Collection
40 Akon

Last edited:
music stores need to get more of his back catalogue...on display! they should have a stand for each of his albums...but good stuff..

There arent any MJ songs in the singles chart though except Man In The Mirror which is 33 or something like that now :( But i guess albums are more important! Its so great, i hope it continues!

New fans will definitely be buying albums instead of singles. I was wondering, its my cousins birthday this week, the showed interest in Michael recently (shes 14), I was thinking about buying her that 5 CD Album package from HMV.

If i do, do they all count seperately to the album charts or don't they count at all?

Where is HIStory - the new songs? or Ben, Forever Michael, Got to Be There...?

these albums are amazing..., the voice, the energy...

Where is HIStory - the new songs? or Ben, Forever Michael, Got to Be There...?

these albums are amazing..., the voice, the energy...

HIStory was in the top 40 for several weeks in the UK, at the minute its still within the top 100 but at No.87. Ben, Forever Michael and Got Be There have not been charting in the Uk (but that might be due to them being priced under £5) but they have been charting in other countries like France.

thanks everyone for the chart. Michael really is the greatest king of pop.

i am quite shocked that you are all buying these cds again.

i have mine from the first time that they were released.

and i have the lps.

is there any reason that i should buy the new versions?

New fans will definitely be buying albums instead of singles. I was wondering, its my cousins birthday this week, the showed interest in Michael recently (shes 14), I was thinking about buying her that 5 CD Album package from HMV.

If i do, do they all count seperately to the album charts or don't they count at all?

The Collection set of the 5 albums count as their own package in sales and not toward sales of the individual albums already available.

Thanks for the answer :)

Not what I wanted to hear though! Wanted them to all count individually.
The Collection set of the 5 albums count as their own package in sales and not toward sales of the individual albums already available.

On the charts for individual countries, The Collection is counted as its separate package however on the world album chart, The Collection is not treated as a separate entity instead the sales of The Collection have been added to the the sales of the albums that are within it i.e. BAD, Thriller, Off The Wall, Dangerous and Invincible. On the world album chart, it is being treated as though those albums were purchased individually.

Ooo interesting. Thanks for this info. I think they should have done the same for individual countries though seen as it is the same seperate albums you are buying, just in a box, its not a greatest hits collection or anything new or different.

On the charts for individual countries, The Collection is counted as its separate package however on the world album chart, The Collection is not treated as a separate entity instead the sales of The Collection have been added to the the sales of the albums that are within it i.e. BAD, Thriller, Off The Wall, Dangerous and Invincible. On the world album chart, it is being treated as though those albums were purchased individually.

While Michael Jackson is still the week's top seller, Sugarland's new Wal-Mart exclusive CD/DVD package "Live on the Inside" enters at No. 1 on the Billboard 200 chart, selling 76,000 copies, according to Nielsen SoundScan. It's the country duo's second No. 1 on the Billboard 200 in just over a year. Sugarland earned its first chart-topper with its 2008 studio album, "Love on the Inside," which ascended to the top of the tally after debuting at No. 2 the previous week.

But it's the King of Pop who continues to have the top selling album in the U.S. His "Number Ones" set shifted another 98,000 last week (down 14%), placing it at No. 1 on the Top Comprehensive Albums chart for a sixth non-consecutive week.

The Top Comprehensive Albums chart houses both older and current albums (the latter are generally those that are 18 months old or less). Over on the Billboard 200 chart, only current or new albums are ranked. That's why Jackson's "Number Ones" -- released in 2003 -- is absent from the latter tally.

Jackson's No. 1 run is the longest for a male artist since 50 Cent's "The Massacre" also did six weeks in late 2007 and early 2008. It's also his longest reign with the top album in the country since 1987's "Bad" album spent six weeks as the U.S.' best-seller. His 1991 "Dangerous" set earned four weeks at No. 1, while 1995's "HIStory" was No. 1 for two weeks and 2001's "Invincible" topped the tally for one week.

Last week's No. 1 on the Billboard 200, Fabolous' "Loso's Way," slips to No. 9 in its second week on the chart, moving 37,000 (down 63%). This week's second-highest new entry comes from country quartet Gloriana, which arrives at No. 3 with its self-titled debut effort (44,000). The 16th volume of the popular children's series "Kidz Bop Kids" series starts at No. 10 with 34,000 while R&B singer K'Jon sees his debut album "I Get Around" enter at No. 12 with 33,000.

As for the rest of the Billboard 200 top 10, the "Now 31" compilation rises 4-2 with 45,000 (down 16%) while the Black Eyed Peas' "The E.N.D." slides up one notch to No. 4 with 44,000 (down 10%). Rising one rung, Kings of Leon's "Only By the Night" also sold just over 44,000 (down 6%) while Daughtry's "Leave This Town" (falling from No. 2 to No. 6) was just a handful of units behind Kings of Leon, also selling about 44,000 (down 29%). Maxwell's "BLACKsummers'night" falls four slots to No. 7 with 43,000 (down 22%) and Taylor Swift's "Fearless" flits up one position to No. 8 with 37,000 (down 1%).

Overall album sales in this past chart week (ending August 9) totaled 6.03 million units, up 1.2% compared to the sum last week (5.96 million) and down 15.7% compared to the same sales week of 2008 (7.16 million). Year to date album sales stand at 213.8 million, down 14.3% compared to the same total at this point last year (249.4 million).

http://www.billboard.com/news/sugar...o-1-on-billboard-200-jackson-1004002335.story

While Michael Jackson is still the week's top seller, Sugarland's new Wal-Mart exclusive CD/DVD package "Live on the Inside" enters at No. 1 on the Billboard 200 chart, selling 76,000 copies, according to Nielsen SoundScan. It's the country duo's second No. 1 on the Billboard 200 in just over a year. Sugarland earned its first chart-topper with its 2008 studio album, "Love on the Inside," which ascended to the top of the tally after debuting at No. 2 the previous week.

But it's the King of Pop who continues to have the top selling album in the U.S. His "Number Ones" set shifted another 98,000 last week (down 14%), placing it at No. 1 on the Top Comprehensive Albums chart for a sixth non-consecutive week.

The Top Comprehensive Albums chart houses both older and current albums (the latter are generally those that are 18 months old or less). Over on the Billboard 200 chart, only current or new albums are ranked. That's why Jackson's "Number Ones" -- released in 2003 -- is absent from the latter tally.

Jackson's No. 1 run is the longest for a male artist since 50 Cent's "The Massacre" also did six weeks in late 2007 and early 2008. It's also his longest reign with the top album in the country since 1987's "Bad" album spent six weeks as the U.S.' best-seller. His 1991 "Dangerous" set earned four weeks at No. 1, while 1995's "HIStory" was No. 1 for two weeks and 2001's "Invincible" topped the tally for one week.

Last week's No. 1 on the Billboard 200, Fabolous' "Loso's Way," slips to No. 9 in its second week on the chart, moving 37,000 (down 63%). This week's second-highest new entry comes from country quartet Gloriana, which arrives at No. 3 with its self-titled debut effort (44,000). The 16th volume of the popular children's series "Kidz Bop Kids" series starts at No. 10 with 34,000 while R&B singer K'Jon sees his debut album "I Get Around" enter at No. 12 with 33,000.

As for the rest of the Billboard 200 top 10, the "Now 31" compilation rises 4-2 with 45,000 (down 16%) while the Black Eyed Peas' "The E.N.D." slides up one notch to No. 4 with 44,000 (down 10%). Rising one rung, Kings of Leon's "Only By the Night" also sold just over 44,000 (down 6%) while Daughtry's "Leave This Town" (falling from No. 2 to No. 6) was just a handful of units behind Kings of Leon, also selling about 44,000 (down 29%). Maxwell's "BLACKsummers'night" falls four slots to No. 7 with 43,000 (down 22%) and Taylor Swift's "Fearless" flits up one position to No. 8 with 37,000 (down 1%).

Overall album sales in this past chart week (ending August 9) totaled 6.03 million units, up 1.2% compared to the sum last week (5.96 million) and down 15.7% compared to the same sales week of 2008 (7.16 million). Year to date album sales stand at 213.8 million, down 14.3% compared to the same total at this point last year (249.4 million).

http://www.billboard.com/news/sugar...o-1-on-billboard-200-jackson-1004002335.story

Great news! Thanks for sharing!

What I don't get is why isn't Mike still number one, because he sold more records than Sugarland. Maybe there's something different about Billboard compared to the UK's chart, but it's confusing.

i am quite shocked that you are all buying these cds again.

i have mine from the first time that they were released.

and i have the lps.

is there any reason that i should buy the new versions?

well personally what drove me to get them is the fact that the money will be going to katherine and the children and also i want michael to be on top AGAIN. it will show all the little young kids out there who is, and why people loved him so much.

Great news! Thanks for sharing!

What I don't get is why isn't Mike still number one, because he sold more records than Sugarland. Maybe there's something different about Billboard compared to the UK's chart, but it's confusing.

Unfortunately for Mike the BB200 only includes current albums.
Older catalogue albums can't chart, so even though Number Ones has been the biggest seller in the US for 6 non-consective weeks, it hasn't been credited as the Number One album in the US charts. So, other artists have been credited as being number 1. For example, Fabolous just scored his first US number 1 album, despite the fact it sold less than Number Ones in the same week. Ludicrous I know.
Thriller 25 had the same problem last year. It was the biggest seller but was denied the Number Ones spot.
SO, Mike has effectively had 2 'phantom' number One albums in the past two years and hasn't been credited with either achievement. Before Thriller 25 was released, a catalogue album had NEVER been the best selling album of the week. Billboard refused to change their rules to acknowledge the fact then and continue to do so. The Beatles release remastered albums in September (09/09/09) and I woudld expect their albums to top the US sales wise, and I am going to be furious if Billboard change the rules for them. BUT as time goes on and this continues to happen, there will come a time when Billboard have to change the rules. I just hope the Beatles aren't the first to gain from it.

You'll find this interesting:

http://new.music.yahoo.com/blogs/chart_watch/40484/aug-9-2009-better-than-a-crystal-ball/

Aug. 9, 2009: Better Than A Crystal Ball
Posted 7 minutes ago by Paul Grein in Chart Watch

For the seventh consecutive week, Michael Jackson has three of the five best-selling albums in the U.S. Number Ones sold 98,000 copies and would have topped The Billboard 200 for the sixth week if catalog albums were eligible to compete there. The Essential Michael Jackson sold 54,000 and would have held at #3. Thriller sold 47,000 and would have inched up from #5 to #4.
This ongoing success will enable Jackson to make history (or should I say HIStory?) on Nielsen/SoundScan's year-end charts. Do I have a crystal ball? No, I have something better: the tracking company's year-to-date sales chart. Jackson has three albums in the top 15 on that list. Number Ones holds at #2 and will probably pull ahead of Taylor Swift's Fearless, the long-time leader, in two weeks. Thriller jumps to #10, while The Essential Michael Jackson climbs to #15. Jackson is likely to become the first artist to have three albums in Nielsen/SoundScan's year-end top 20 since Garth Brooks achieved the feat in 1992. (All three of Brooks' albums--Ropin' The Wind, The Chase and No Fences, ranked in the year-end top 10.)
Number Ones is vying to become the only the third greatest hits album to rank #1 for the year on either Billboard's "year-end" charts or Nielsen/SoundScan's calendar year rankings. Elton John's Elton John--Greatest Hits was Billboard's leader for 1974. The Beatles' 1 was the magazine's champ for 2001. (On Nielsen/SoundScan, 1 was the #6 seller of 2000.) Number Ones is also likely to become the first catalog album and the first album by a deceased performer to wind up as the #1 album of the year on either list, going back to 1956.
The Essential Michael Jackson is #1 in the U.K. for the sixth straight week. This is the longest continuous run on top in that country since Leona Lewis' Spirit had seven straight weeks at #1 from November 2007 to January 2008. (Coldplay's Viva La Vida Or Death And All His Friends had six non-consecutive weeks on top last year.)
The Catalog Controversy: This is the 18th week since February 2008 that the top 10 on The Billboard 200 has excluded at least one of the week's 10 best-selling albums. Here's how that tally breaks down: Jackson's Thriller 25 and Josh Groban's Noel each would have had five weeks in the top 10 last year if catalog albums were allowed to compete on the big chart. Pearl Jam's Ten would have had one week in the top 10 in March. And the three aforementioned Jackson albums would have spent the past seven weeks in the top 10.
The Jackson boom has yet to run its course. And remastered versions of the Beatles' studio albums will be released on Sept. 9, concurrent with the much-anticipated The Beatles: Rock Band game. The current tally of 18 weeks since 2008 where the top 10 excluded at least one album because of the catalog rule could climb to 25 or 30 weeks before the year is out. That's a lot of weeks where the top 10 needed to carry an asterisk.
This is a serious and growing threat to the credibility of The Billboard 200. Those of us who love the charts hope the problem is solved before people's confidence in the charts is undermined.

Back