Ugly Betty Star, Vanessa Williams...

ladyplatinum

Proud Member
is not just a good villian acting on television, she's a wonderful singer/performer and I haven't seen anything ever written to support that on this site by anyone.

Does she have fans here?

I have always loved her songs and her way of singing them. She has her own style and if you listen to the way she delivers her lyrics you'll understand what good singing is about.

I wish she would take some time and make a new studio album, since her last one was called: NEXT and it was released in 1997 with songs like:

Happiness
First Thin On Your Mind
Crazy 'Bout You
Someone Like You
Oh How The Year Go By
etc, etc, etc, etc.

I also love her Christmas album called: STAR BRIGHT, very beautiful sounding holiday songs.

I have all of her known hits on CDs, plus the Greatest Hits, The First Ten Years.

With hits like:

The Right Stuff
Dreamin'
Running Back To You
The Comfort Zone
Save The Best For Last
The Sweetest Days
Love Is w/Brian McKnight
Colors Of The Wind
etc, etc, etc, etc.

I don't have the 70's Cover album that she released awhile back, but I have I think all of her movies except one on tape or DVD. I was thinking about buying DVDs of her Broadway shows but haven't quite got to it yet. I would love to see them, if they actually exist on DVD. I'm not sure.

She's never won a Grammy, but she's been nominated a few good times. I wish she would attempt to reach that goal again.

She's one of the good and talented women of today who does a little bit of everything well, plus have a family of 4 children, 3 girls and 1 boy.

Last edited:
I remember when she was Miss America. She's kinda like Prince in that her best songs aren't the singles, but the album tracks. You should check out her cover of Sting's "Sister Moon". Sting sings background vocals on her version.

I remember when she was Miss America. She's kinda like Prince in that her best songs aren't the singles, but the album tracks. You should check out her cover of Sting's "Sister Moon". Sting sings background vocals on her version.

I've been intending to get that cover album. So much so that I thought I had it already.:D

I only caught the last part of the show when she won Miss America pageant. The rest is just old news.

I love how she took control and made her name, Vanessa Williams, be the only "Miss America" that anyone remembers as being the first "African American" to win it and to go on and become a multi-talented singer/dancer/performer/actor/mother and look good doing it.

I have a lot of admiration for her. She's a winner. You have to love that.

Here you go...

"Colors of the wind"

"Sweetest Days"

"Save the Best for Last"

I absolutely love her singing...always have!!

love her voice..and i agree her christmas songs are amazing. great at both singing and acting. and gorgeous too.

I love Vanessa Williams. She is so incredibly gorgeous and she is a real hoot on Ugly Betty as Wilhelmina.

Sister Moon is not on a covers album, but on her 1994 album The Sweetest Days.

Wow. What a weird oversight.:doh:

I have that CD but I haven't listened to the entire thing in a while. Actually, I had a chance to the other day, but I decided to listen to the Greatest Hits, The First Ten Years.

I'll check out Sweetest Days to give that song a listen. The CD is practically brand new. I think I've listened to it about 2 times. I used to tape songs that I liked onto audiocassettes and then put the CDs away. That's why I didn't remember the title, Sister Moon.

Vanessa Williams is one funny actress too. She played a Scrooge like character on some Lifetime movie a while ago....called "Diva's Christmas Carol"....she did a good job with it too! LOL!

Vanessa Williams is one funny actress too. She played a Scrooge like character on some Lifetime movie a while ago....called "Diva's Christmas Carol"....she did a good job with it too! LOL!

Yes, that movie was great! I watched it so many times because not only was she hilariously a hard azz on everything and everybody, the songs were great to listen to.

I think the character, "Wilhemina", on "Ugly Betty" was derived from "Ebony Scrooge" on "Diva's Christmas Carol" that originally aired on VH-1. I think she plays sassy / bossy type characters better than most actresses. Then she can play a seductress like in the "Odyssey" as "Princess Calypso" (name, I think, not sure). She rocked that role, also.

I think she should have more awards than she's got. As a matter of fact, you may remember that she was offered the role on "Monster's Ball" that "Halle Berry" won the only female African American "Oscar" for, but she turned it down. If I'm right she was not sure about the sex scene and the fact that it might cause riffs with her being a mother and all. Her fans, believed that she would have gotten the "Oscar", but I feel that she would have played the role a lot different from "Halle's portrayal" and it just wasn't meant to be. I tried to picture her in the role. She's much taller than Halle, at least she appears to be, and the dynamics of the role would have definitely had a different feel. Plus, it would have been hard to see her as "Diddy's" wife in the role. I don't think they would have blend together as a realistic couple. At least that how I figure it.

I'm stopping now.:D

Back