Ubisoft's Michael Jackson Game Hits 2 Million Units

MJStorm

Proud Member
[highlight]Ubisoft's Michael Jackson Game Hits 2 Million Units[/highlight]

It was a good holiday for Ubisoft's Michael Jackson: The Experience. The Wii, DS and PSP title based on the late pop superstar has sold through 2 million units altogether on the Wii platform alone, in North American, Europe, the Middle East and Asia.

The 2 million figure comes prior to the game's Japan launch "later this year"; Japan, says Ubisoft, "has one of the largest and most passionate concentrations of Michael Jackson fans anywhere."

[highlight]Ubisoft will launch Kinect and Move versions of the music and dance game on Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 on April 12 in North America and on the 14 in other territories save for Japan, where the launch will come later[/highlight]. The company says it's made some new additions to the Kinect and Move versions, such as the songs [highlight]"Blood on the Dance Floor"[/highlight] and [highlight]"I Just Can't Stop Loving You,"[/highlight] among other Michael Jackson hits soon to be revealed.

The Kinect version will make use of the same proprietary body-tracking projection technology Ubisoft implemented in Your Shape: Fitness Evolved, applied here with the aim of making players feel more like the environments of Michael Jackson's videos. It'll also add co-op and battle modes for up to four players.

The Move edition will feature exclusive Facebook integration, so that players can auto-update their pages on the social network with progress, pictures and other achievements from their playtime. Players will have some options with the available hardware, selecting from Move controller only, microphone only, or both. The "Michael Jackson School" mode can use the PlayStation Eye camera so that players can see themselves on the screen while learning dance moves.

"Our teams have worked enthusiastically to build an experience that recreates the magic worlds of Michael Jackson's videos and performances," says Ubisoft CEO Yves Guillemot.

The late King of Pop's estate is also apparently pleased with the game; executors John Branca and John McClain say they're "extremely thrilled" with the response to the game. "The passion they are showing for learning and performing Michael's signature dance moves to the songs they have loved for years is a tribute to his amazing legacy," they said in a statement.

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/32314/Ubisofts_Michael_Jackson_Game_Hits_2_Million_Units.php

:clapping::clapping::clapping:

Congratulations! 2 million units sold and damn, when its released in Japan its gonna do even better!

MJ continues to kick butt!:D

UBISOFT ENTERTAIN : ® SOLD THROUGH TWO MILLION UNITS OF MICHAEL JACKSON THE EXPERIENCE VIDEO GAME
01/06/0111 | 12:05 pm

UBISOFT® SOLD THROUGH TWO MILLION UNITS OF MICHAEL JACKSON THE EXPERIENCE VIDEO GAME

Paris - January 6, 2011 - Ubisoft announced today that Michael Jackson The Experience is a global holiday hit as it has sold through two million units in total for the Wii(TM) system from Nintendo, the Nintendo DSTM and the Sony PlayStation® Portable in North America, Europe, the Middle East and Asia, according to internal estimates. The latest sales figures don't include Japan, which has one of the largest and most passionate concentrations of Michael Jackson fans anywhere. The game is slated to come out in Japan later this year.

Launched November 23, 2010 in North America and November 25, 2010 in Europe, the Middle East, and select Asian territories, Michael Jackson The Experience allows players to experience the magic of the King of Pop by performing dance steps that were inspired by the choreography of Michael Jackson in environments that were drawn from his world and all while listening to and singing along with the music that continues to excite and move people today.

"Michael Jackson The Experience is a worldwide hit and offers fans the game they have been waiting for," said Yves Guillemot, chief executive officer of Ubisoft. "As the leader in the dance game genre, our teams have worked enthusiastically to build an experience that recreates the magic worlds of Michael Jackson's videos and performances. We're looking forward to bringing Michael Jackson The Experience to Kinect and Move so an even bigger audience can enjoy playing the game with their friends and family too."

"We are extremely thrilled with how people around the world are embracing and enjoying Michael Jackson The Experience," said John Branca and John McClain, the executors of the Estate of Michael Jackson. "The passion they are showing for learning and performing Michael's signature dance moves to the songs they have loved for years is a tribute to his amazing legacy. Families are sharing an entertainment experience that is fun, unique and energizing."

Ubisoft brings Michael Jackson The Experience to Kinect(TM) for Xbox 360® and PlayStation®Move Motion Controller for the PlayStation®3 on April 12, 2011 in North America and April 14, 2011 in Europe, the Middle East and Asian territories (Japan's release date is slated for later this year). For the first time ever, the Kinect and PlayStationMove game play experiences allow fans to be scored on their dancing and singing for a complete performance experience. Also new to Kinect and PlayStationMove are the songs "Blood on the Dance Floor" and "I Just Can't Stop Loving You" with additional tracks to be revealed soon.

The Kinect and PlayStation3 versions will include new exclusive features that greatly enrich the player's experience. In the Kinect version, Ubisoft's proprietary Player Projection technology projects the player on-screen and into the game itself. The player's body is tracked, allowing them to see their true movements and steps reproduced in the game. This level of immersion allows players to be surrounded by environments inspired by the music videos and live performances of each Michael Jackson song. Innovative co-op and Battle multiplayer modes allow up to four players to collaborate or compete for the best performer prize with the Kinect version. In addition, different difficulty levels and a practice mode ensure that the game is both accessible and challenging.

Unique to the PlayStationMove version is an automatic Facebook® feed that allows the player to instantly post his/her progress and pictures of themselves playing the game to their Facebook page, showcasing their Michael Jackson skills for friends to admire. The game play also adapts to the available hardware (Move only, microphone only or Move plus microphone) and offers dancing, singing or dancing and singing depending on the accessories owned by the player. Additionally, the Michael Jackson School Mode takes advantage of both the Playstation Eye and Kinect by allowing players to see themselves on screen at the side of renowned dancers that actually worked with Michael Jackson to learn the iconic moves of the King of Pop.

For more information about Michael Jackson The Experience, please visit the game's Facebook page at: www.facebook.com/michaeljacksontheexperience:
http://www.facebook.com/michaeljacksontheexperience.

About Ubisoft
Ubisoft is a leading producer, publisher and distributor of interactive entertainment products worldwide and has grown considerably through a strong and diversified line-up of products and partnerships. Ubisoft has offices in 26 countries and has sales in more than 55 countries around the globe. It is committed to delivering high-quality, cutting-edge video game titles to consumers. For the 2009-10 fiscal year Ubisoft generated sales of 871 million euros. To learn more, please visit www.ubisoftgroup.com.

© 2010 Ubisoft Entertainment. All Rights Reserved. Ubisoft and Ubisoft logo are trademarks of Ubisoft Entertainment in the U.S. and/or other countries. © 2010 Triumph International, Inc. All Rights Reserved. The Michael Jackson name and associated logos are trademarks of Triumph International, Inc. in the U.S. and/or other countries.

Wii and Nintendo DS are trademarks of Nintendo. "[PS Family Logo]", "PlayStation" and "PS3" are trademarks or registered trademarks of Sony Computer Entertainment Inc. "[PS3 Slim Logo]" is a trademark of the same company. KINECT, Xbox, Xbox 360, Xbox LIVE, and the Xbox logos are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies and are used under license from Microsoft.

Facebook® is a registered trademark of Facebook Inc.
Ubisoft Michael Jackson The Experience press release:
http://hugin.info/143604/R/1477774/413774.pdf

This announcement is distributed by Thomson Reuters on behalf of Thomson Reuters clients.

The owner of this announcement warrants that:
(i) the releases contained herein are protected by copyright and other applicable laws; and
(ii) they are solely responsible for the content, accuracy and originality of the
information contained therein.

Source: UBISOFT ENTERTAINMENT via Thomson Reuters ONE

http://www.4-traders.com/UBISOFT-EN...L-JACKSON-THE-EXPERIENCE-VIDEO-GAME-13532609/

That's great news. I got the game for Christmas and love it. It's so much fun. I'm glad that it's doing well.

Sad that the game has sold more than the album and at 4x the price

Why is it sad? This is a good news to everyone, may be except Sony.

First, it further proves that Michael's legacy is going strong. People continue to love his iconic catalog. Younger generations are now dancing to songs like Billie Jean and Smooth Criminal, etc. His songs are evergreen. People remember him for his great music and his dance moves.

Second, like you mentioned, the sales price of the game is much higher. The game brings in more revenue to the Estate than the album.

I'm very happy about this news. I plan to buy the game once the PS3 and xBox versions are released.

Great news! The game is so much fun. I can't wait to get it on Kinect...I thought it was February 1st though? :scratch:

I'm glad the game has been successful, proving that people still love Michael and are willing to buy in large numbers musical products related to him. People of all ages love this game. I have a first-grade student who loves it, and I love it as an adult.

By the time we get to April... sales for this game will be in the 2.8 to 3 million range globally. That's unbelievable for a dance game that revolves exclusively around ONE artist. With an average price of $40 (blended price for Wii and PSP, DS) that's over $120 million in gross revenue just from this.

On top of that, PS3 and 360 will be launching their version in April. Approximately 11 million people in the US (42 million worldwide) have Playstation 3, while Xbox 360 has 19 million users in the US (50 million worldwide). Many fans have been waiting to get the game on one of these two consuls because of the better technology. I'd expect an additional 2.5 to 3 million global sales from these systems alone!

We also have to take into account that Japan has not had this game yet in any form. Once it's released there in the fall of 2011 on all 3 systems, sales will be huge especially because MJ's fan base in Japan is very big. They also have an obsession with video games. In the country of Japan, there are a total of 10.8 million Wii users, 1.4 million X- Box 360 users, and 5.7 million Playstation 3 users. Japan sales for all 3 systems could top 750,000 alone.

Based on all of this, by the end of this year (Dec 31st 2011) I would say total worldwide sales of The Experience could be in the 6 to 7 million range which would be phenomenal for this type of game. With an average price of $50 worldwide total GROSS revenue for this game could easily top $300 million. Based on that number, it would mean a solid $50 million or more going into the estate!

OMG that's a lot of copies! Isn't the kinect version just upcoming still?!

I'm one of the 2mil that have this game.It was a Christmas gift from my sister and I have to tell yall,This game is the Bomb on my Wii.My daughter tried it and she said what a workout.If I had the XBOX with it's Kinects, I know This game will be the Best seller of alltime.

Why is it sad? This is a good news to everyone, may be except Sony.

First, it further proves that Michael's legacy is going strong. People continue to love his iconic catalog. Younger generations are now dancing to songs like Billie Jean and Smooth Criminal, etc. His songs are evergreen. People remember him for his great music and his dance moves.

Second, like you mentioned, the sales price of the game is much higher. The game brings in more revenue to the Estate than the album.

I'm very happy about this news. I plan to buy the game once the PS3 and xBox versions are released.

It's sad that people are enjoying the commodity of Michael Jackson via other entertainment mediums, but that Michael the Musical Artist is diminishing.

I bought this game as a Christmas present for my gf. :) Looks really fun. I've yet to try it because Im still a bit shy to dance in front of her. lol.

Back