U2's 360 tour officially becomes highest grossing concert of all time

Moonwalker.Fan

Proud Member
U2 have knocked the Rolling Stones off the number one spot after their 360 world tour became the most successful ever.
3754648280_a15697608f.jpg

The Elevation rockers played a sell-out show at Morumbi Stadium in Sao Paulo on Sunday night, helping them take the record held by the Rolling Stones' Bigger Bang tour, which grossed 554 million dollars between 2005 and 2007, Billboard.com reports.
U2 manager Paul McGuinness said: "Fans all over the world agree that a ticket to U2 360 is good value for money. We're really proud of this tour and this achievement is great news, coming as we head back into North America."

3781818037_e477c7a154.jpg

U2 still have 26 more gigs left to play before their final show in Canada on July 30, andthe total ticket sales for the 360 tour are due to be over 700 million dollars.
McGuinness added: "That dollar figure for the gross looks enormous! Of course I can't tell you what the net is, but I can tell you that the band spend enormous sums on production for their audience."
The US leg of the tour was delayed in May last year when frontman Bono had to undergo emergency surgery in Munich for a back injury.
Tour promoter/producer Arthur Fogel said: "These numbers are staggering, a fantastic result. U2 have invented a new style of rock show and they continue to deliver their fans the best possible live experience.
"An in-the-round transportable stadium production is something that the touring industry has been trying to figure out for some time.
"The extra capacity that the U2 360 creates also allows for a large number, several thousand in fact, of low priced tickets at every show."

83705.png

U2 has rocked around the world, playing to more than 5 million people across the globe. Some of those countries include Europe, Russia, North America, South America, South Africa, Australia and New Zealand, according to Live Nation.
By the end of the tour in July, more than 7 million people will have experienced U2's 360° tour.

Copyright © 2011 The Press Association. All rights reserved.

----------------
<object height="225" width="400">

U2-360milan2.jpg

360milan.jpg

<embed src="http://news.sky.com/sky-news/app/skynewsflash/OBU_Player_30.swf?type=embedded&baseColor=6710886&highlightColor=16711680&channel_key=News&ad_channel=2169867&ad_alias=pre_skynews_skynews_Home_Business&networkId=999.1&unique_id=073159&media_title=U2%20Manager%20On%20Smashing%20Tour%20Record&attrib_url=http://news.sky.com&video_url=http://static1.sky.com//feeds/skynews/latest/flash/120411-U2-MANAGER.flv&smoothing=true&tracking_account=" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowscriptaccess="always" height="225" width="400"></object>

Last edited:
This Is It would have been against U2's 360 like a dwarf.

I always wanted Michael to have such a monstrous concert stage, none of his tours can be compared to RS or U2, they rock..., they have the best live stage constructions ever!

and Michael had such potential..., he missed it.

Good for them, but I was never a fan. I like watching a real performance, and not just dudes standing around, strumming and singing. No offense, not saying that it can't be enjoyable - just not for me. U2 has always been highly overrated imho. I can't stand their music. Bleh. Again, sorry to any fans. It's only my opinion and clearly millions disagree with it.

Best stage I've ever seen in my life. But I wish U2 would change up their setlists because Walk On, Elevation and Beautiful Day aren't that good.

Good for them, but I was never a fan. I like watching a real performance, and not just dudes standing around, strumming and singing. No offense, not saying that it can't be enjoyable - just not for me. U2 has always been highly overrated imho. I can't stand their music. Bleh. Again, sorry to any fans. It's only my opinion and clearly millions disagree with it.
It was real enough for me - and their music is only overrated because it's been tainted with crap like Vertigo and Elevation; the 90s were by far their best period. And if only I could have been to the Bigger Bang Tour the Stones put on...they always do an awesome show and they still rock.

That stage is amazing, I remember saying that when I first saw it. Its great news for them, not really a fan, but I do like a few of their songs :)

This Is It would have been against U2's 360 like a dwarf.

I always wanted Michael to have such a monstrous concert stage, none of his tours can be compared to RS or U2, they rock..., they have the best live stage constructions ever!

and Michael had such potential..., he missed it.

I agree... my dream would have been if MJ had worked together with Mark Fisher (architect of Stones, PF, U2 etc. etc.). So he would have worked outside of his box. Having seen the Stones and U2 several times, and then seeing HIStory tour, I was quite disappointed with the staging. It looked low-budget compared to the cutting edge Mark Fisher designs. Even Madonna had been working on changing things around with every tour.

So imho, 'This is it' would have been better served as either going into a completely different direction: An intimate and up personal performance, focused on MJ and his music instead of more special effects. Or indeed a stage and show co-designed by Mark Fisher and the like, for something really new for MJ. Patrick Woodroffe was a new ingredient though, he was the Stones' lighting designer ever since their '89 tour. As far as I could tell from 'This is it', he brought in a more measured and controlled look than Peter Morse's 'everything-but-the-kitchen-sink' approach.

I am bit confused, how long has this tour been going on for? I liked what Michael was doing with this is it. I guess I am in the minority but I don't need huge sets and things. Michael could sing and dance on an empty stage and not sets and I would loved it anyway.

I am bit confused, how long has this tour been going on for?

Good question. I'm wondering the same thing. I think this tour has been going on for years, or so it feels. Hmm.

Good question. I'm wondering the same thing. I think this tour has been going on for years, or so it feels. Hmm.

From June 2009 to July 2011 = 2 years

... compare MJs HIStory tour:
0.jpg

4732c458efb7.jpg

DANGEROUS TOUR:
4336028211_5f4881666c.jpg

4336773620_b2cc557ace.jpg

4207264627_6b5f02e107.jpg

Last edited:
Sheesh, if Madonna toured for a couple of years she could rake in over a billion, easy. However, I would never want her to do that because her performances would be far too grueling on the body. Bono walks around stage while Madonna dances her ass off. And this isn't a competition, I'm just saying there's a difference between a performer like Bono and Madonna (and of course MJ).

Wow those stages are impressive! But if I were to go I'd be hugely destracted by the stage which would take my enjoyment out of the performance and performers. When I see Michael at Wembley I loved it because Michael WAS the stage. Like other dancers/singers they don't need huge stage sets to get noticed.

Finally...........the rolling stones get on my nerves............

U2 now world's richest musicians

Back in May, thousands rocked out when U2 took the stage at Invesco Field in Denver. Now, those fans that were there that night are part of music history.
Denver is now in the record books for hosting what turned out to be the biggest tour. It was just one of 110 stops in more than 30 countries.
The tour wrapped up Sunday night in New Brunswick, Canada bringing in $736 million.
U2 is now number one on the list of the world's richest musicians beating out Elton John and the Rolling Stones.

http://www.9news.com/entertainment/211304/343/U2-now-worlds-richest-musicians

U2 wraps up 360 tour

http://content.usatoday.com/communities/entertainment/post/2011/08/u2-wraps-up-360-tour-/1

U2 360° - the group's amazingly successful tour, came to an end in Moncton, N.B., Canada on Saturday night.

The tour opened in Barcelona on June 30, 2009, and, in 26 months, the group played 110 concerts for 7.1 million fans in 30 countries across five continents.

The tour's biggest single audience was 108, 800 at Stadium Azteca in Mexico City on May 14.

"With tonight's final show, U2's 360° tour will go down as the biggest tour ever reported both in terms of box office gross and attendance," says Ray Waddell from Billboard in a release about the tour's end.

Some more fun facts and figures from the U2 360° tour:

• 10 million people watched a live stream of U2 360° at the Rose Bowl on YouTube
  • 320,000 fans saw 360° in Mexico City
  • 92,270 meals fed to working staff and guests
  • 29,000 T-shirts given to local stagehands
  • 9,760 guitar strings utilized
  • 7,100 miles &#8211; approximate distance travelled by space station while talking with U2
  • 5,200 years &#8211; collective touring experience of U2 tour personnel
  • 400 tons &#8211; weight of the fully loaded claw
  • 134 crew members
  • 126 truck drivers
  • 53 gigs attended by a single fan
  • 33 Flemish-speaking crew members
  • 12 bus drivers
  • 11 babies born to crew
  • 7 astronauts attended
  • 4 appreciative Irishmen
  • 2 fairytale crew weddings

There will always be bigger and better things. Enjoy them in the moment.

I sure enjoyed this concert. 5th row in the inner circle, it was a brilliant concert.

Back