Twitter Reviews Its Policies After Harassment of Robin Williams' Daughter

Bubs

Proud Member
Del Harvey, vice president of trust and safety at Twitter, said the social media website "will not tolerate abuse of this nature," referring to the recent cyber-bullying of Robin Williams' daughter, Zelda Williams.

"We have suspended a number of accounts related to this issue for violating our rules and we are in the process of evaluating how we can further improve our policies to better handle tragic situations like this one," Harvey said in a statement to ABC News. "This includes expanding our policies regarding self-harm and private information, and improving support for family members of deceased users."

Robin Williams' Kids Can't Understand Why He Couldn't 'Find It In His Heart to Stay'

In the wake of her father's death, Williams, 25, wrote that she was deleting Twitter from her devices.

The decision to step away from social media came after at least two users sent Williams harassing messages and disturbing photos, including a Photoshopped image that was purported to be her father's corpse.

"I'm shaking," Williams tweeted earlier this week before deleting the message. The actress asked her followers to report her alleged tormentors to Twitter.

Twitter has a one-click button that takes users to a page where they can fill out a report detailing alleged harassment.

http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/tw...ent-robin-williams-daughter/story?id=24983339

While I'm happy that twitter takes these steps, but I wonder why it didn't make news when Paris was sent all sort of disturbing photos or pictures of her father. Why people in twitter didn't step in when young teenager was brutally harassed and abused after her daddy's death.
I could cry because it seems that there are different rules to different people. Situation was exactly the same for Paris and Zelda, but because Paris is Michael's daughter, it was alright :cry:
Nobody should be target of this kind of treatment:-(

While I'm happy that twitter takes these steps, but I wonder why it didn't make news when Paris was sent all sort of disturbing photos or pictures of her father. Why people in twitter didn't step in when young teenager was brutally harassed and abused after her daddy's death.
I could cry because it seems that there are different rules to different people. Situation was exactly the same for Paris and Zelda, but because Paris is Michael's daughter, it was alright :cry:
Nobody should be target of this kind of treatment:-(

I hate double standards

I agree with your post Bubs. I'm not justifying in any way what was done to Zelda Williams, it was sick and mean spirited, so what it was done to Paris. What I don't get is, why Twitter didn't feel compassion for a child who couldn't defend herself like an adult does? Double standards indeed!

Yeah, about time they did something about it. I thought about Paris too. Something should have been done then. :doh: Enough is enough. I hope their new policy is enforced.

Back