Twenty fabled moments in Denver music: #19: Michael Jackson hides out here in 1984

Moonwalker.Fan

Proud Member
Over the course of the next few weeks, Backbeat will be counting down the twenty most fabled moments in Denver music history. Today, a look back at Michael Jackson's week-long stay here in Mile High City in 1984 and the secrecy surrounding it.

052212_j-victory.jpg

Long before Michael Jackson's name became shorthand for "troubled pop star," he was arguably the most heavily publicized musician in the world. His fame was such that midway through a 1984 tour, the then 26-year-old singer decided to hide out in Denver for a week, with extra-tight security ensuring the King of Pop's privacy and security.

The pressure must have been indescribable. There was Michael, a guy who had grown up very publicly and had hardly known what most of us think of as a normal upbringing, performing for hundreds of thousands of fans. Joined by his brothers, the Victory Tour was to be the last time the Jacksons would tour together.

This was the time when you could not get away from MJ. He introduced the world to moonwalking a year prior. Just months before the Jacksons' Mile High Stadium performance, Michael's hair caught on fire on the set of a commercial due to a pyrotechnic stunt gone horribly awry. Soon afterward, he was famously invited to the White House to meet the Reagans to promote drug abuse resistance, and was midway through negotiations over purchasing the Beatles' back catalog and co-writing "We Are the World" with Lionel Richie. Not bad for a guy barely past 25.

No wonder Jackson felt he had to drop out of the public eye for a few days and get some perspective. Even before the Jacksons' tour rolled into town, there had been a million tickets sold for the tour (the millionth actually was sold to an Aurora girl). This was despite the unprecedented high ticket price for the time ($30) and the ongoing dramas involved with tour logistics -- the national promoter lost money on the deal, and the three-concert engagement in Denver wound up only being two shows.

MJ moved from the Fairmont Hotel ($775/day) to Park Suite (Presidential Suite: $600/day). He brought his entourage of eight and rented eleven rooms -- don't ask about the math there -- and had strict rules during his stay. Obviously his presence was to be kept secret by hotel staff. The security guards handling Jackson were to deny knowledge of his presence if anyone asked. You know -- the usual.

Here's what's unusual, though: Jackson required orange juice at 2 a.m. every night, and wanted his now-famous naval jacket dry-cleaned at a moment's notice. His stay was so secretive that even Elvis Costello, who was staying one floor above Jackson, reportedly didn't know he had been there until after the King of Pop left.

According to news reports and photos from the time, Jackson was being shuttled back and forth from the hotel to Caribou Ranch, the fabled recording studio in Nederland. Caribou Ranch has seen just about every big name in pop music of the '70s and '80s pass through its doors. Elton John and John Lennon stayed there at the same time. Stevie Wonder and Earth, Wind & Fire were also guests. The band Chicago recorded five albums there.

Jackson, too, was not far from bad times. He apparently never fully recovered from the hair-catching-fire incident, and the accusations of skin bleaching, plastic surgery disasters and his weird domestic habits (owning a chimp, sleeping in a hyperbaric oxygen chamber) began around this time, too. For that brief time, though, between moonwalking, Thriller and the tour with his brothers, the King of Pop's claim to the throne was indisputable.

http://blogs.westword.com/backbeat/2012/05/michael_jackson_victory_tour_denver_1984.php

What I think now is that Bad 25th anniversary will also be useful to show that MJ was more than just his Thriller album and Thriller era.

It seems they always have to write bad things too.
Michael owned a chimp and later exotic animals but he didn´t put them in small cages in the basement or garage like many other people in the US have done and still do.
I read about a child who was killed by a tiger but the owner was still allowed to keep the tiger.
That´s what I think is weird.

Thanks for those great photos alicat, hadn't realised they were taken during the victory tour. Re mj being in that hotel and having elvis costello staying above him not knowing mj was there reminded me of a costello interview. Costello got into an unpleasant racist rant one night at a bar in late 70s, dissing ray charles and james brown and other african-american musicians. Word got out and costello was blighted by the stigma of racism for years afterwards. He talked about almost meeting mj in an interview -

Elvis costello: When we were recording Imperial Bedroom, Bruce Thomas was in the next studio while I was doing a vocal. Paul McCartney was there, and Michael jackson came in to do a vocal - everything was nice until somebody introduced Bruce as my bass player. And suddenly - there was a freeze-out. Michael Jackson was - "Oh, God, I don't dig that guy... I don't dig that guy."

He had heard about it third hand, from Quincy Jones. Two guys I have a tremendous amount of admiration for. It depressed me that I wouldn't be able to go up to him - I wouldn't be able to go up and shake his hand, because he wouldn't want to shake my hand. Or James Brown, for that matter. But what could I say? What could I say? How could you explain such a thing? But there is nothing I'd like more.

Michael was working on "Bad" from what I have read. Here's a video of some of the different musicians who recorded there, a chronicle:
[video]http://denver.rockymountainnews.com/multimedia/022508cariboustars/[/video]

Lennon's visit had the staff on their toes

By the mid '70s, the staff at Caribou Ranch was pretty blase about having big names around. But when John Lennon visited for four days in July 1974, everyone struggled to keep their cool.

"It was very funny. There were a lot of stars up here," said ranch manager John Carsello. "But when John came up, we all couldn't believe it."

It was during Lennon's 14-month "Lost Weekend," when he was separated from Yoko Ono and included his infamous ejection from the Troubadour for drunkenly heckling the Smothers Brothers. He was accompanied to Caribou by girlfriend May Pang for a long weekend to add guitar and vocal to Elton John's take on Lucy in the Sky With Diamonds.

"We had a great time," Pang said in a recent phone interview. "John enjoyed that. It wasn't his show. He could do it for someone else then walk away."

It was a nice break for Lennon, particularly because the U.S. government was trying to have him deported for his antiwar stance. "It was at the time he was trying to get his green card and they were trying to throw him out," Carsello said. "I remember him saying, 'Yeah, I hope they let me stay in New York. It reminds me of home.' "

Certainly the Caribou staff made Lennon feel at home, Pang said. "Everybody made us feel really comfortable. Elton wanted to be sure that John had fun. That's exactly what John did have."

"The boss said whatever John wanted, let's make sure he gets it - the boss meaning Elton," Pang continued. "You could see everyone was all excited and they were afraid to say anything."

Carsello's sister and mother happened to be visiting that weekend and ate dinner in the mess hall with the crew.

"It was (guitarist) Davey Johnstone's little boy's birthday. So we all sang Happy Birthday. My sister goes, 'Now I can say I sang with Elton John and John Lennon," Carsello said.

"He had a great sense of humor. He was fantastic," said owner James Guercio, though Lennon nearly roasted at night. "Elton cranked the heat and we had to help him open the windows. I said, 'You can move wherever you want' but he said, 'Elton wants me to stay here.' "

Guercio was in a delicate position, because he'd helped Paul McCartney mix the 1971 Ram album; Lennon felt several of the songs on that album were digs at him. Lennon had also gone on the record years before dismissing Guercio's "sterile" and "antiseptic" production of the second Blood, Sweat and Tears album and its hit Spinning Wheel.

"He was eating breakfast one morning and I said, 'Listen, John, let's clear this up.' He said, 'Oh no, I knew this was going to happen. . . . I knew you were going to bring that up,' " Guercio said with a laugh. "I said, 'No, John, you're right. I had a dysfunctional group. I had to find a singer. It was totally antiseptic.' "

That broke the ice, though "we were kind of guarded because I didn't want to get into Paul. It was definitely tense."

Lennon and Pang set the town on its ear when they borrowed Carsello's car for a trip down to Nederland for toothbrushes and a visit to Boulder to buy cowboy boots. "He freaked everyone out in town," Carsello said, but he signed autographs for anyone who wanted one.

"John was not opposed to just going out. He enjoyed all that - the quaint country, just walking down the street. He loved that part of Americana," Pang said.

The recording sessions were quick. Halfway through Lucy in the Sky, the guitars and vocals take on a reggae feel. "That was John's idea. John always liked ska and reggae music," Pang said. "He did that and (the single's B-side) One Day at a Time."

Pang said: "I was not prepared (for the altitude). I don't think John was prepared. In the recording studio I said, 'John, what's this?' He said, 'That's an oxygen tank.' I didn't understand that the air was this crisp and thin that you might need it. When John was recording, every so often they'd take some oxygen, get some breath in."
http://www.rockymountainnews.com/news/2008/jan/25/lennons-visit-had-the-staff-on-their-toes/

I can't help but to notice some similarities between Neverland and Nederland, Colorado where Caribou Studios was located.

The names are similar, Neverland, Nederland.

Caribou Ranch was more than 4,000 acres, Neverland Ranch was close to 3,000 acres. This place must've impressed Michael, with so many recording Artists working at the Studio there:

Blood, Sweat and Tears; America; Badfinger; The Beach Boys; Jeff Beck; Mike Brewer; David Cassidy; Chicago, starting with Chicago VI; Phil Collins; Chick Corea; Deep Purple; Rick Derringer; Al Di Meola; Dio; Earth, Wind & Fire; Emerson, Lake & Palmer;
Sheena Easton; First Born; Dan Fogelberg; Peter Frampton; Gerard; Jerry Goodman; Jan Hammer; Amy Grant, starting with Age to Age and ending with Unguarded;

Michael Jackson

Waylon Jennings; Billy Joel; Boulder; Elton John, notably the 1974 Caribou album; Carole King; Kris Kristofferson; Robert Lamm
John Lennon (contributed to Elton John recording sessions); Jerry Lee Lewis; Pat McJimsey, I Dig Girls album; Jac Murphy
Michael Murphey; Stevie Nicks; Idle Tears; Nitty Gritty Dirt Band; Tony Orlando; Ozark Mountain Daredevils; Tom Petty
Eddie Rabbitt; Rainbow Canyon; Return to Forever for their albums Romantic Warrior and Musicmagic; Bruce Roberts; Sailor
David Sancious; Tom Scott and The L.A. Express; Billy Joe Shaver; Shooting Star (band); Sons of Champlin;
Souther Hillman Furay Band; Rod Stewart; Stephen Stills; Supertramp; Switch on their Reaching for Tomorrow album
Ali Thomson; Len Trout; U2; James Vincent; Joe Walsh; War; Tony Williams; Carl Wilson; Frank Zappa.

Michael brought together many of the big recording Artists in 1985 to record "We Are The World," and maybe working with someone like James William Guercio, who owned the Caribou Ranch in Nederland, Colorado is what influenced (the charity also) Michael to do the project of "We Are The World," and Michael was also inspired by the beauty of Nederland, Colorado, Michael even hiked the mountains!
Pymde.St.4.jpg

That Michael was more determined than ever to buy "Neverland" (aka Sycamore Valley Ranch), near Los Olivos, California.

Back