TV Alert: Blame It On The Boogie - Original

Foxy..

Proud Member
Aylesbury, Buckinghamshire, United Kingdom
Here we have the very first version of Blame It On The Boogie by Mick Jackson.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZcDj46elLhQ

I was pleasantly surprised by this version, the original version in fact. Smooth, funky and I like the use of horns. It is by no means as fun, glitzy or indeed in my opinion as good as The Jacksons famous cover, but it is a great version none the less.

There is a program about this in the UK on Friday: Channel 4 at 7.30pm - here is a synopsis of the program

"It's one of the great bizarre coincidences in pop. In 1978 two men with the same name had a hit with the same song in the same week. The version of Blame It on the Boogie that history remembers is the one sung by Michael Jackson and his brothers. At the same time, the song's original writers, Mick Jackson and his brother Dave released their own version, and the "Battle of the Boogie" ensued, with rival UK radio stations favouring different records. We know who won, but what became of the poor songwriter? Here Mick Jackson's son visits him on his farm in Germany and hears the story of how Mick lost out on his royalties in what Pete Waterman calls "the perfect case of what can go wrong in the music industry". It's not the slickest or sharpest re-telling of the tale, but when the tale's this good, it hardly matters."

His version sounds like You Make Me Feel Like Dancing by Leo Sayer.

Very good ear you have! I can definately hear the similarity, same era and style, British pop/funk I would imagine.. (something I wish there was more exposure of, there are some gems) - Leo Sayer - You Make Me Feel Like Dancing is a good track.

I knew Blame It On The Boogie was written by someone else, but I didn't know he actually recorded (other than a demo of course, lol) and released it himself.

I saw an article about this on the net and the writer of the article was very rude to Michael trying to insinuate that MJ did not pay the mick guy royalties. The stupid writer ended the article by saying something like at least the mick guy never was sick or had to deal with death. I think they were trying to rub MJ's passing in so it can hurt. There was no need for that pop-shot, some ppl are so hateful it is sickening (sorry for the rambling).

I tend to agree that any chance to take credit from Michael is a cheap shot but unfortunately it happens alot with big artists. But I don't think this film will do it much, if royalties wern't paid then that is a little unfair, it's not a shot at Michael personally, it is something his management should have done and clearly didn't.

it's very hard to determine what the truth is, here, since MJ's consistency in songwriting speaks for itself. and..too many people sued MJ, AFTER he hit paydirt...so..that makes me suspicious too.

that's just how i feel...

especially since You Are Not Alone, and other stuff..

it takes courage to believe in yourself as a songwriter. most people think that it's better to just do covers.

MJ had a lot of courage, so it makes it easy for me to give him the benefit of the doubt...especially since he was into inspiration, and not the bottom line. it just happens that he had that sonic ear, that equalled the bottom line. that's a rarity.

and, of course, the timing of this program, makes me suspicious of the mick dude. a lot of capitalising off of MJ, at this time, always makes me suspicious of what i see as the capitalisers.

i would have much more respect for someone who swung and missed at a songwriting attempt, and kept on swinging, and kept on missing, publically, rather than what i see, as going on, here.

and Michael J's overall character is sterling..and, to me, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to see that.

Last edited:
Is that the sort of thing that's ok to upload or not? If it's allowed, I'll upload it.

Back