wave.gif

Welcome to today's news thread :)

Michael Jackson News:

The am NY revived this old News Article :D

The Jackson 8: A Thriller at the Grammys

Jackson: New "King of the Road"

By Robert Hilburn
20405925.jpg

Michael Jackson wasn't yet known as the "King of Pop" when he collected eight Grammys for his "Thriller" album. (Ken Hively / LAT)

From The Times: Feb. 29, 1984

Michael Jackson set a Grammy record Tuesday night by finishing first in eight categories in the record industry's 26th annual awards ceremony.

The victories during a nationally televised program at the Shrine Auditorium in Los Angeles shattered the Grammy mark of six established by Roger Miller in 1965, the year his "King of the Road" dominated charts.

Accepting the best album award for "Thriller" early in the program, a nervous and generally taciturn Jackson, said, "This is a great honor…I'm very happy."

When he later picked up the record-breaking Grammy, the 25-year-old pop sensation took off his dark glasses in a victory salute.

The awards show was held on the same stage where Jackson suffered second- and third- degree burns Jan. 27, when his hair caught fire during the taping of a television commercial.

Jackson, whose "Thriller" is the biggest-selling album ever at 27 million, was also cited for best record ("Beat It") and as best vocalist in three areas: pop, rock and rhythm and blues.

He also won best children's album ("E.T. the Extraterrestrial"), best rhythm and blues song ("Billie Jean") and best record producer, an award he shared with Quincy Jones.

Jackson's sweep overshadowed the four victories in the classical competition by Sir Georg Solti. The awards gave Solti a career total of 23 Grammys, three more than the former leader, Henry Mancini.

Police Win Four

"Thriller," a stylish blend of pop, rock, rhythm and blues strains has produced an unprecedented seven Top 10 singles. Until now, no solo album contained more than four Top 10 singles. Epic Records spokesmen believe that the Grammy exposure and the excitement generated by an upcoming Jackson tour eventually will push worldwide sales beyond the 35 million mark. No other solo album has sold more than 12 million copies.

Other key winners in the presentations by the National Academy of Recording Arts & Sciences were the rock group Police, which won four honors, and producer Quincy Jones, whose four victories pushed him into a fourth-place tie with Stevie Wonder on the all-time Grammy list with 15.

Before the program, industry observers debated whether Jackson's enormous success with "Thriller" would lead to a sweep or a backlash. The sweep was tipped off before the telecast began when Jackson won in three of four secondary categories. His only losses were for best pop song and for best group vocal. Jackson had been nominated in the latter for his duet with Paul McCartney on "The Girl Is Mine."

Police lead singer and bassist Sting's "Every Breath You Take" was judged best pop song. Sting was also honored for best rock instrumental performance, and his band scored in pop group vocal and rock group vocal fields.

Other multiple winners were singer Chaka Khan, who won three Grammys, and the rock group Duran Duran and composer-producer Giorgio Moroder, with two each.

Ella Fitzgerald moved into seventh place on the all-time Grammy list when she was awarded her 12th, this one for female jazz vocal, "The Best Is Yet to Come" album.

'Being With You'

Guitarist George Benson earned his eighth Grammy with a pop instrumental award for "Being With You."

Jackson, dressed in his usual spangled uniform with epaulets and with a sequined glove on his right hand, was accompanied by actress Brooke Shields. He was clearly the Shrine crowd's favorite as he sat in the front row. Every time his face flashed on studio monitors or his name was mentioned, cheers rose from industry colleagues who filled the orchestra seats and from fans in the balcony.

The young singer and writer was also the choice of pop critics, who often dismiss the Grammy voting as too conservative. Jackson's "Thriller" was named last week the top album of 1983 in a Village Voice poll of more than 200 critics around the country. It was one of the rare times critics have agreed with the 6,000 Grammy voters.

Jackson was generous with his thanks and praise for others. In one acceptance he called CBS Records head Walter Yetnikoff to the stage with him. Later he invited his three sisters to the podium.

The young star seemed especially moved by the award for the best children's album, "E.T. the Extraterrestrial."

"Of all the awards I've won, I'm most proud of this one," he said. "…It wasn't an album just for children. It was for everyone."

The dominance of Jackson was underscored twice during the program.

First, comedian Joan Rivers joined singer Boy George (of Culture Club, a Grammy-winning group for best new artist) by satellite from London in reading the Grammy voting rules and quipped, "The reason we're reading the rules is so that all the losers will know why they lost to Michael Jackson."

And songwriter Michael Boddicker thanked Michael Jackson "for not writing a song for the movies." Boddicker was one of the writers for the "Flashdance" album, which was declared best soundtrack.

LINK

Michael Jackson Mentionings:

Must-see Website: The Mortgage Lender Implode-o-Meter

by The Star-Ledger Business Desk Tuesday July 08, 2008, 8:47 AM

So your house has been sitting on the market for a year, even though you've whacked the price down four times. Don't just sit there -- wallow in the misery of others, namely your lender.
Point your browser to the Mortgage Lender Implode-o-Meter, which describes its mission as "(t)racking the housing finance breakdown: a saga of corruption, hypocrisy, and government complicity."
The New York Times has a piece this morning on the astonishing rise of the website, which has allowed its 28-year-old founder to quit his day job and hire a staff of 10. In recent months, the site broke the news of Michael Jackson's default on his Neverland Ranch and got some love from Mad Money's Jim Cramer and other commentators.
"Traffic on the site soared, reaching as many as 100,000 regular visitors, and advertising dollars rolled in," the Times said.
Hey, at least someone's making money from the crummy housing market.

LINK

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Jokes aside, hyperbaric chambers have real uses
By DIANE COCHRAN
Of The Gazette Staff

If you're old enough to remember the late 1980s, chances are you've seen the photos of pop star Michael Jackson lying prone in a hyperbaric chamber.

Jackson purportedly slept in the oxygenated cylinder to reduce the effects of aging. Not surprisingly, it was at about that time that the media gleefully nicknamed him "***** *****."

But he isn't the only member of the glitterati to have been caught up in the mystique of the hyperbaric chamber.

LINK

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Big brother housemates update:

The housemates reveal the songs they'd like played at their funerals...
Darnell, Mohamed, Stuart and Maysoon sat in the Living Room and shared their memories of growing up to the music of Michael Jackson.

LINK

Michael Jackson HIStory:

1995 - Michael Jackson's "HIStory: Past, Present And Future Book 1" hit #1 in the U.S.

DANG! In one context or the next, it seems as if Michael Jackson is in the news almost EVERYDAY. LOL!

thanks for the news.....i wish that thriller days comeback soon

That is why it makres it stupid for them to say that there are other artist bigger than
michael jackson. They cannot say MJ had the biggest album ever and then say Elvis sold more than him. The figure doesn't add up. Not even the beatles figure add up.

Last edited:
^ yeah sorry about that Andrew I get this message now:

spacer.gif
Apologies, but this page is temporarily unavailable.
Our technical team are made aware of most faults almost immediately - and fix them as soon as possible. Please revisit the site at the next convenient opportunity, when we would hope and expect this problem to have been resolved.
If you have returned to the site and are still having problems, please contact us here
Best wishes

Channel 4 webteam

:blink:

from memory the rest of the very short article was about how the housemates were discussing which song they want being played at their funeral. None of them picked an MJ song though.

"The reason we're reading the rules is so that all the losers will know why they lost to Michael Jackson."
lmaoo

Thanks for posting, L.J.

Here's the Big Brother article (I can see it :unsure:):

The housemates reveal the songs they'd like played at their funerals...

Darnell, Mohamed, Stuart and Maysoon sat in the Living Room and shared their memories of growing up to the music of Michael Jackson.

And then it all got a bit dark after Stuart asked what song people would want played at their funeral...

"My funeral song would be It's So Hard to Say Goodbye to Yesterday by Boyz II Men," said Darnell enthusiastically.

"And that's your funeral song?" asked Stuart, "Mine would be Every Time We Say Goodbye."

And like night follows day, the next most popular category followed... "What's your break-up song?" asked Darnell excitedly.

"I think it might have been To The End Of The Road for me," replied Mohamed.

"**** that's deep," laughed Darnell.

"I can't choose one song," laughed Maysoon, "It could be Freedom!"

Could she be telling the truth, or was it just a Careless Whisper?

Last edited:
What was it Dats? I clicked on it, but it said the video was not longer available.
Sorry about that. It is a bit of history with soultrain dancers dancing to Mj's All night dancing. very entertaoning. If you can click on the square it should take you to utube to watch it there.

Last edited:
Dats, please post it again.

And my funeral song would be YOU ARE NOT ALONE. I would want that played to my children to let them know that I am still with them and that they will always be.....

IN MY HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAWHT!

I don`t know if someone posted, it´s old interview with Akon (May 2008) but worth to mention:

By jamati-Written by Saba, Ink
Interviews | Wed, 28 May 2008

Ray Lavender: AKON Protégé and “KONVICTED” (short version):

Akon is a shrewd businessman who has been busy putting together a talented team

Who in the world is Ray Lavender and what does AKON have to do with him?

Well, let's just say that if you have not heard about this brotha outta Louisiana, you better ask somebody!!

Mr. Lavender is not only being tagged as AKON's Protégé, he is now the face of KONVICT (AKON's label) Clothing. As if that were not enough, he informed me that he is preparing to go on tour with Michael Jackson – yes folks, the “gloved one” has caught Lavender Fever.

Ray Lavender: Well, The KONVICT Clothing line coming out. It is going to be in Macy's, Bloomingdales, Richies and all the major stores. So every time you see the clothing line, you'll see my face. Got some movies coming out- AKON's got a movie called “Cocaine Cowboys”. – oh and we have a big Tour coming up with AKON & Michael Jackson. How big is that?

Jamati: WOW…that is huge!!

Ray Lavender: Yeah, I call AKON everyday and ask him if he is for real. But you know he did 6 or 7 new songs on Michael Jackson's new album, so it's very realistic.

Source: http://www.modernghana.com/music/7075/3/ray-lavender-akon-protg-and-konvicted.html

^That's not an interview with Akon, but with someone who works with him

Back