Tricky Stewart about New Michael Jackson Tune, 'Keep Your Head'

• Thread starter Dangerous Incorporated
  • Start date

Dangerous Incorporated

Guests

In the case of "Keep Your Head Up," one of the album's biggest standouts, Stewart told MTV News that the track was not a remake of any kind. Rather, he just added minor additional production flourishes to the number.
"The main thing I wanted to do was make sure that Michael would like it," said Stewart, who has worked with Beyoncé, Mariah Carey and The-Dream. "And that it would feel like something he would do naturally if he was here. A lot of it was probably me overthinking it a little bit. And trying to deliver what I think he would do. And there's so much music that he made that I could reference the precision of what he was into musically. I did that and this was a song that he wrote. It wasn't he and me making a record. This was a record that he wrote and that he produced. And I just got in there.
He added, "It was really just about getting into his mental space and trying to find out the best way to deliver that record."
"Keep Your Head" leaked online prior to Michael's release and was under scrutiny regarding the validity of MJ's vocals.
Although, it's evident that Jackson's lead crooning on "Keep Your Head" is authentic and new, some of the background vocals are alleged to be from previously released material, like the 1995 tune "Earth Song."
Stewart confirmed that the primary vocals are Jackson's and said he was satisfied with the result.
"It was really surreal," the producer said of the experience. "Getting into that moment and getting into that space, to have the opportunity to work with the greatest entertainer of all time. Or work on, I should say. It was a tremendous time in my life to just get in there and listen to his voice, be able to strip down the track and listen to him in his purest form — something that most people can't do. It was a great experience. I'm glad I did it, I had a lot of fun doing it and I think the track came out great."
Source: MTV

^me too i love this song alot , it gives me alot of peace of mind,,MJ's voice is very pecifying to the soul !

Dangerous Incorporated;3141227 said:

In the case of "Keep Your Head Up," one of the album's biggest standouts, Stewart told MTV News that the track was not a remake of any kind. Rather, he just added minor additional production flourishes to the number.
"The main thing I wanted to do was make sure that Michael would like it," said Stewart, who has worked with Beyoncé, Mariah Carey and The-Dream. "And that it would feel like something he would do naturally if he was here. A lot of it was probably me overthinking it a little bit. And trying to deliver what I think he would do. And there's so much music that he made that I could reference the precision of what he was into musically. I did that and this was a song that he wrote. It wasn't he and me making a record. This was a record that he wrote and that he produced. And I just got in there.
He added, "It was really just about getting into his mental space and trying to find out the best way to deliver that record."
"Keep Your Head" leaked online prior to Michael's release and was under scrutiny regarding the validity of MJ's vocals.
Although, it's evident that Jackson's lead crooning on "Keep Your Head" is authentic and new, some of the background vocals are alleged to be from previously released material, like the 1995 tune"Earth Song."
Stewart confirmed that the primary vocals are Jackson's and said he was satisfied with the result.
"It was really surreal," the producer said of the experience. "Getting into that moment and getting into that space, to have the opportunity to work with the greatest entertainer of all time. Or work on, I should say. It was a tremendous time in my life to just get in there and listen to his voice, be able to strip down the track and listen to him in his purest form — something that most people can't do. It was a great experience. I'm glad I did it, I had a lot of fun doing it and I think the track came out great."
Source: MTV

I enjoy KYHU tremendously. I hope I have the opportunity to hear Michael's voice just like he did. I dream one day an a capella album will be released.

I always wished Michael would do an "MTV unplugged" concert.... Just HIM sitting on a chair, somebody playing a guitar, percussion, some violins... and his pure, gentle voice... That would be awesome!

I didn't like it at first.. but the song is getting better and better every time I listen it! Great!

Dangerous Incorporated;3141227 said:
"It was a tremendous time in my life to just get in there and listen to his voice, be able to strip down the track and listen to him in his purest form — something that most people can't do. "

lol if he only knew :rolleyes:

So he's the one responsible for the tacky Earth Song clip in the background. lol. Just kidding...
I do wonder if Michael was the one that added that or the producers. Oh well, to be honest I don't even notice it anymore on the version I hear on the album.

I'm not going to complain. The song is amazing, I love it. It's tied for being my favorite song on the album with Best of Joy. I can't get enough it. It's the only song I go to mj.com to listen to. lol. I've listened to it over and over. Very inspirational and it does remind me of Keep The Faith. It made me cry the very first time I heard it. Beautiful song. :heart:

Who is the "he" here referring to? Tricky or Michael?

I believe referring to Stewart as I doubt MJ heard the final version...

Last edited:
Well, there are Earth Song ad-libs at the end, just not the "what about apathy" ones.

I love this song, this was one of the only songs I pre-heard before I heard it on the album. I cried!! He did a great job with it. The gospel kills me. Great job working on this song. Thanks

I love this song, this was one of the only songs I pre-heard before I heard it on the album. I cried!! He did a great job with it. The gospel kills me. Great job working on this song. Thanks

The first time I heard this song I absolutely LOVED IT! both it and Much Too Soon are my favourites.

I just LOVE KYHU, it's right up there with Keep the Faith and his best inspirational songs!

I agree! It's very reminiscent of Keep the Faith, On the Line and Man in the Mirror. I absolutely love it. The part where he sings, "Hanging down your head just ain't no good," it always makes me tear up. I think he would love it with the choir at the end and the build up, and I love his ad-libs at the end. :wub:

Its a beautiful, beautiful song. Makes me smile when listening to it and definitely the song that I will be putting on when I'm feeling low about things. Just love it

I agree! It's very reminiscent of Keep the Faith, On the Line and Man in the Mirror. I absolutely love it. The part where he sings, "Hanging down your head just ain't no good," it always makes me tear up.

Me too. That part made me think about how much I miss Michael. I cried until my eyes were red and I had no tears left. I just completely broke down. I hadn't cried that hard since the day he died.

Another one of your post that cause nothing but conflict...psh. Anywho, I love the song, I sometimes forget that the "Earth Song" ad-libs aren't in the final version, I sing along as if they were. :D

i realize i had to respond to this to make a point, but, until you responded to that post, people expressed their opinions and were not quoted. people on both sides of the issue should be afforded the same courtesy. life is about different opinions. and conflict doesn't arise unless people respond to other peoples' opinions. so, it doesn't have to happen if you don't let it.

So Tricky never saw MJ singing this track...He never talk to MJ too.

It stills a Cascio track.

Back