transition between quincy jones and teddy riley

After hearing quincy's remarks about michael (which i'm dissapointed about), i wanted to do some research of the time between "bad" and "dangerous"

sorry if this has already been posted, or is already of common knowledge, but i came across this video of Heavy D (he did the rap part in "Jam") commenting on MJ's death and he mentioned something really interesting. he claims that it was not teddy riley who introduced MJ to heavy D but it was the other way around. MJ was interested in heavy D after hearing him on janet's track "alright" on her rythym nation album and wanted to work with him on a track that quincy and MJ was working on. if what heavy D is saying is true, going by the release year of rhythm nation in sept 1989, i would guess that he made the transtion during this late 1989- late 1991. Heavy D thought the track was not good, so he introduced MJ to teddy riley who had previsouly worked on his previous 2 albums (according to Wikipedia)

i'm summarising/concluding from what he said of course, so this isnt word for word

for the video heres the link:

http://www.vladtv.com/video/9060/bon-diddely-heavy-d-talks-about-working-with-michael-jackson/

I saw that video earlier today and I'm quite confused because Teddy has said it was he who introduced Heavy D to MJ.

BTW, welcome to the forum and congrats on your first post :)

so if, if going by what heavy D said, quincy and MJ were working on a track, it's possible that quincy jones initially worked on the dangerous album (demos and stuff) and in the end, none of the stuff made it into the final album. could explain why Q's been bitter??again i'm just speculating

thanks bruce...glad to finally join the boards and support MJ's legacy

I guess it's a very strong possibility about Quincy. Thanks for posting!

I was never really a New Jack Swing fan, but Q's jazz/funk/pop sound was pretty much out of style with the young audience by the late 80s. During this period, mostly older jazz & R&B acts used Q. Q's productions tended to be too overproduced and sterile by that point. Hip hop was taking over and younger people wanted harder, more "street" sounds. That's why starting in the mid 80s Jam & Lewis became popular with acts of the time. Latin Freestyle was also popular for a brief time. Also traditonal R&B or pop singers like the O'Jays, Luther Vandross, Billy Ocean, Lionel Richie, Freddie Jackson, etc. was on the way out to be replaced with performers like Al B Sure!, Jodeci & Bobby Brown who had a more "hard" image. Teddy kinda started out doing hip-hop with people like Doug E Fresh & Kool Moe Dee. New Jack was a sort of a combination of hip hop with R&B singing. Since Heavy D was more in tune with what the youth audience wanted, he probably figured Quincy wasn't it. Quincy was doing stuff like "The Secret Garden" which was mainly popular with an older audience who didn't purchase records in the same quantities as teens/young adults. In general the acts that sold the most have always been the ones who sold to younger folks.

Back