Top 5 MJ music videos?

filmandmusic

Proud Member
I was just thinking about this and I am curious how my favorites match with yours

1. Thriller (Easy choice, loving the vibe of it all)
2. Black Or White (love the message of the video and the different cultures being highlighted through dance and clothes)
3. Leave Me Alone (really creative, love the portrayal of Michael’s life being a theme park of gossip)
4. In The Closet (Steamy, great dancing, casual clothing. The moves at 3.50 have been rewinded again and again and again and again)
5. The Way You Make Me Feel (the full video gives a clearer picture of the idea and intention behind the video or you see it as just a classic 80s macho boy tries to win girl vibe. The intro is 🤩

I’m going to clear up some stuff about TWYMMF. As you can see in the extended cut the old black man gives Michael solid advice to not act like the gang but to be himself. You don’t wanna be like them.
The gang gangs (😬) up on women, talk shit, touch them, make them feel uncomfortable. When Michael eventually makes his move he grabs her attention with a brilliant opening line and some bad ass dance moves. He never touches her he is just flirting. The girl allows the flirting as she stops and watches him, she laughs with her friend etc. Michael never makes a move to touch her. He doesn’t even touch her when she pulls him closer, it is her call. He is playing the game until the girl allows more to happen and even then all they do is hug.

This video like Beat It is forever relevant as girls in cities especially at night feel very uncomfortable when they come across groups of young men shouting at them. The way the guys in the video act, things could get out of hand quickly, they know no boundaries.
In Beat It he told youth to walk away from fights through dance, in TWYMMF he tells them to respectfully approach girls. Michael is still doing it in a macho kind of way but boys will be boys and it is sometimes hard to grab the attention of the girl but as long as you don’t step over the line things might work out. If you watch some nature documentaries you see the same thing happening in the animal world and I like that deep down us humans still have that animalistic instinct. You do what you need to do to impress but always show respect.
The message goes missing in the regular cut and people might even feel he is creepy in it so in my opinion the 14 min cut is the only right way to judge the video.

Everyone knows the classic videos, like Beat It, Thriller, Billie Jean, Bad, The Way You Make Me Feel, Smooth Criminal, etc....but one of my personal favorites from his later career was Blood on the Dance Floor. I don't usually care for most remix albums, but that track remains truly amazing. In my opinion, its probably one of the best he ever did in his entire career, and that says a lot. The 30-minute version of Ghosts was impressive for its time, but some of it does not appear to have aged very well.

What's that, f&m? My favourite seven Michael videos? Why, of course! I can do that. LOL :D

SC - 4 minute version
Beat It
SIM
APOM
BOTDF - 8 minute version
Come Together
GITM

What's that, f&m? My favourite seven Michael videos? Why, of course! I can do that. LOL :D

SC - 4 minute version
Beat It
SIM
APOM
BOTDF - 8 minute version
Come Together
GITM
8 min version, 4 min version I better check it out because i don’t really have a recollection of those

@zinniabooklover BOTDF is fan made I think but well done
The video is legit. Vince Patterson has talked about another version of the video that they did and that Michael loved but the record label hated it so it got dumped. Can't find the interviews where Vince has talked about this but this YT quote will do:

"In this version, Vincent Patterson recorded an unreleased, alternate version of the music video, shot with an 8 mm camera. Writer David Noh, described it as, "grainy, overexposed, and sexy as shit". According to Paterson, "Michael loved it, but Sony hated it and refused to release it."

Just found this:
That's right. I got mixed up.

A "Refugee Camp Mix" of "Blood on the Dance Floor" appeared on Jackson's video collection, HIStory on Film, Volume II and Michael Jackson's Vision. The original song would later appear on the Number Ones DVD, which contained previously unreleased scenes.[1] Furthermore, Paterson recorded an unreleased, alternate version of the music video, shot with an 8 mm camera. Writer David Noh, described it as, "grainy, overexposed, and sexy as ****". According to Paterson, "Michael loved it, but Sony hated it and refused to release it".

Last edited:
I’m so disappointed ☹️ i spent a good amount of time typing a detailed response only to lose it all 😩

here’s my short answer

1. ‘billie jean’
2. ‘thriller (shortened version)’
3. ‘beat it’
4. ‘say say say’
5. ‘can you feel it
(full length version)*

*if it’s against the rules to include a jacksons video, I could exchange it for ‘don’t stop til you get enough🤷‍♀️

I’m so disappointed ☹️ i spent a good amount of time typing a detailed response only to lose it all 😩

here’s my short answer

1. ‘billie jean’
2. ‘thriller (shortened version)’
3. ‘beat it’
4. ‘say say say’
5. ‘can you feel it
(full length version)*

*if it’s against the rules to include a jacksons video, I could exchange it for ‘don’t stop til you get enough🤷‍♀️
You can always get back to this. I knew you would include CYFI and of course it is allowed!

My always favorite is SC (both moonwalker and shortened version)

Beat It
Dirty Diana
Leave Me Alone
Bad

Last edited:
My pervy side wants to answer the question (1 and 2) xD This is my actual list but it changes often because this is a very hard exercise to definitly choose my favorites videos of him ^^

1. Come Together
2. Dirty Diana
3. Speed Demon
4. Remember The Time
5. The Way You Make Me Feel (I don't like the video inside but I love soooo much Tatiana Thumbtzen soooo)

And all of them because I love the rest of his Visiongraphy xD

Only I don't like :

Childhood, You Are Not Alone, In The Closet (why Mike isn't shirtless ? awwwn), One More Chance, You Rock My World, Stranger In Moscow, They Don't Care About Us (Prison version), Ghosts, Cry and Jam.

Well, that's a difficult one...
I think my list would change all the time, depending on what album I'm currently obsessed with, but I try to make it as general as I can...

1. Smooth Criminal - First and foremost because this is the song that got me into Michael and the short film always fascinated me as a kid and still now as an adult. I really dig the gangster theme and the dancebreak near the end gives me goosebumps, even after watching it around 500 times at least.
2. BAD - Sounds kinda like the BAD album is my favourite album of all time (I literally got it tattooed on my hand back in january).
I again just love the gangster aesthetic and the short film highlights the whole song for me because of all the shouting and chain rattling that takes place. Also I can re-watch the long version any time and have a blast, it never gets boring to me.
3. They Don't Care About Us (both versions) - I take both versions because it's still the same song, although the prison version might have the edge for me because it conveys the message much more clearer.
4. Earth Song - I mean, my favourite song of all time had to make an appearance here! I think what I love most about this particular video, is the overall vibe of a world ending and then building itself up again with that giant storm... Michael gives it his all and the amount of effort, put into filming all of these different locations has to be appreciated.
5. You Rock My World - Really struggled between YRMW and Black or White, but I chose YRMW for the sole reason of it being the only proper video from the Invincible album, which had an impeccable impact on me and hence why, this short film grew on me a lot.

Honorable mentions:
Black or White, Leave Me Alone, Give In To Me and of course the big 3: Thriller, Beat It and Billie Jean.
And Unbreakable if the video ever came to be... I just know it would have been INSANE...

Really tricky.

Smooth Criminal
Bad
TWYMMF
Black or White
I dunno, Earth Song or Thriller.

Back