Top 10 best forms of music exposure/promotion in the UK

bobmoo79

Proud Member
Here's the link:
http://www.zinio.com/pages/BillboardMagazine/Sep-26-09/416098616/pg-24

From a professional survey compiled from music insiders, the top 10 best forms of music exposure/promotion in the UK consists of:

01 Guest Performance On "The X Factor"
02 Get A High-Profile TV iTunes Ad From Apple
03 Added To Playlist On BBC Radio 1
04 Song Covered On The "X-Factor" (Hello "There You'll Be", "Sex On Fire")
05 Performance On BBC's "Friday Night With Jonathan Ross"
06 Listing On iTunes' U.K. Front Page
07 Perform At Glastonbury Festival
08 Added To Playlist on BBC Radio 2
09 Cover Story In "Q" Magazine
10 Live Performance/Interview On BBC Radio 2's "Zane Lowe" Show

So, I wonder how many of these Mike will be able to capitalise on with the new single?
I think we can count out Radio 1 - the 'orchestral' sound doesn't really sound like their thing and as bad as it sounds I can't imagine Mike writing a radio friendly pop hit in recent years. In his mind he moved on to much grander pieces of music - hence the orchestra. Mike had trouble getting airplay on Radio1 anyway (right back to the mid 90s). Radio 2 will probably give the song a chance though. They even played Cry and One More Chance when they were released!
Obviously a guest performance on X Factor is out of the question, and the song is new so won't be covered any time soon on X Factor either! There can't be a liver performance on Jonathon Ross or at Glastonbury, or on Zane Lowe so we can count those out.
Apple almost certainly won't be putting out a high profiile TV ad featuring MJ silhouettes, but I guess Sony will pay for a front page position on itunes.
Q just did a cover with MJ on the front, so I don't think they'll do another one any time soon, though I suppose they might mention the single on the cover.

So it seems that almost all of the 'top 10' promotion routes are out of the question for the new single. Lets hope Sony pay for some pretty high profile ad spots to make up for this. Unfortunately though, the days of advertising singles on a channel other than a music channel, such as TMF are long gone...

Sorry guys if that's a bit depressing, but I thought it was interesting to see. Fingers crossed the song takes on a life of it's own and people seek it out. I hope it can become Mike's first No.1 in the UK (and US) of the 2000s.

SOURCE: http://fatherandy2.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=chart&action=display&thread=57706

20090919billboard10best.gif

Last edited:
I think there will be lots of hype about MJs unreleased music anyway

Back