Tommy Mottola Memoir to Dish Out Secrets of the Music Industry

HIStory

Proud Member
Tommy Mottola Memoir to Dish Out Secrets of the Music Industry

By ThirdAge News Staff
Posted October 4, 2010 7:20 PM

Tommy Mottola is largely known for discovering stars like Shakira, Beyonce, and Mariah Carey, who also became his wife in a short-lived marriage.

But now, “The Last Starmaker” will reveal more in his memoir, detailing his rise to success and stories while he reigned at the top as the head of Sony Music. The book will be published by Grand Central Publishing, a division of Hachette Book Group USA, in early 2012.

"It's time to tell his story," a friend of Mottola said. "The music industry is virtually over. Cream will always rise to the top. But the days of starmaking are over. Kids today only want one song, not the album, and they don't know who the artist is."
Sign-up for Our Best of ThirdAge Newsletter

Check out a sample newsletter >

Mottola will tell how Walter Yetnikoff brought him into CBS Records, and then turned on him after Yetnikoff self-destructed and lost his job. Since Yetnikoff trashed Mottola in his 2004 memoir, "Howling at the Moon," Mottola is expected to wreak some payback.

"The Last Starmaker" will also debunk the myth that Mottola was a jealous svengali over Carey. He recently told a friend, "150 [Carey] albums later, my answer is, 'Kiss my behind.' "

According to a source, the book will explain that Carey, who was quite young at the time, came from a "confusing upbringing. Sudden success is enough to intoxicate anybody and to distort the perception of anybody and anything around them."

Mottola will relate how he signed Marc Anthony and Jennifer Lopez and then found a song for them to sing as a duet, which was the beginning of their love affair.

One chapter will tell how he strong-armed the Grammys one year to put Ricky Martin on the top-rated awards show, telling producers, "We're going to pull everyone off the show unless Ricky gets to sing."

And Mottola will explain why he deserved to make $10 million-plus a year. A friend said, "When people did well around Tommy, they all became wealthy."

Source: YellowBrix, The New York Post

http://www.thirdage.com/news/tommy-mottola-memoir-dish-out-secrets-music-industry_10-4-2010

I bet it'll be an interesting read. But there is something awfully smarmy and smug about that man.

It would most definitely be a good read. However, I doubt I'll check it out.

I can't say I have complete confidence that Mottola would be truthful, and not just in terms of MJ.

the book group is appropriately named. sounds like a man who didn't fare so well, after all. ironic that he says Carey's view was distorted, considering what's coming out of his mouth. karma.

he poisoned everything around him, including Mariah Carey. don't have the money or energy to buy a book from an asshole.

Tommy used to be Hall & Oates manager in the 1970's. They didn't like him, and wrote this song about him which was on their 1975 album.
[youtube]of4Xk2ju2b4[/youtube]

You’ve got sicilian imagination
Second generation
And a long way from the family crime
But you’ve got your own way
Sign on the line, sign on the line, on the line

You’re a patent leather lover
With you’re gucci-pucci pointed shoes
And you’re swearing on your mother
That all this could be yours

Remember hard work means something
Live fast, die laughing
No hurt in asking
Nothing for nothing

Gino no no no no no no no no no no
No no no no no no no no no no no
No no no no no no no no no no no no!

You’ve got contractual agitation
Transcendental meditation works fine
But now you’re paying off the guru
Get to heaven on time

Remember hard work means something
Live fast, die laughing
No hurt in asking
Nothing for nothing

You couldn’t live without little gino, no
That’s what he tells me, little gino, no
You couldn’t live without little gino, no
That’s what he tells me, little gino, no no

I remember reading a fan theory about "Threatened" being about Mottola. "Every time your lady speaks, she speaks to me" (Mariah Carey). Although considering he thanks Mottola in the album booklet and was his best man in 2000 I guess it's doubtful.

anything's possible. but considering how promotion of the Invincible album was treated, it's easy to speculate that that album wouldn't even be released if Michael didn't put a thank you note to Mottolla on the sleeve. and it's easy to believe that Michael did what he had to do, to get the album released. but considering what names he called Mottola, during that 2002 rally, writing a thank you note on an album, could have just been a non heartfelt gesture and a business move. it's just speculation, but it's the easiest speculation for me to make, with everything that was going on. and if MJ did make a non heartfelt business move, he wouldn't be the first or the last to do such a thing.

Well, his name was listed amongst dozens of others. It wasn't as if he had a special mention or anything.

There was a radio interview from 2009 with some former Sony execs who said that Michael felt very disillusioned at Sony whilst making Invincible and that he felt like there was nobody left at the company who believed in him anymore, or something along those lines.

^^^^George Michael & Terence Trent D'Arby had problems with Sony and Mattola in the early 1990's. In George's Fastlove video, there's a shot of someone wearing headphones that says "Fony" on them, lol.

The big question is:

Will anybody actually buy this??????

It wouldnt shock me if they use MJ's name to try and increase sales

I'm sure we'll all hear the best, juiciest bits for free in the media for weeks, so no need to buy the book. :)

Mottola is old Mob Money business. dude is a wannabe who did get down.

thing is if MJ was wrong about dude then he would have been worse off than those trumped up charges were against him.

Mottola got fired for the truth was the truth and he was up to no good. watch the Behind the Music with Hall and Oats and watch Darryl hall's facial expression when the name Tommy Mottola is said.

Mottola hated on MJ, Luther Vandross and other acts. he did Mariah Carey dirty and gave up tracks to Jennifer Lopez to get back at Mariah.

he hooked up gloria Estifan and others.

his book is gonna be so one sided and half baked that the Pillsburry doughboy's belly is gonna skinny from that half side mess he is putting out.

if dude had any game he would have been where clive Davis, LA Reid,Jimmy Iovine are instead of being a floor beneath them.

he is too predictable and like out of a scene from a cliche Movie. he is a tired Jive Turkey.

Back