Today in Michael Jackson History February 7th

qbee

Proud Member
Today in Michael Jackson History February 7th

HISTORICAL DATES

- The Jacksons perform the second concert of four nights of the Destiny World Tour at The Rainbow, in London (UK).

1984 -
Michael Jackson, along with 1500 invited guests, attends the New York Metropolitan Museum of Natural History to receive awards from CBS and ’The Guinness Book Of World Records’ celebrating Thriller as the largest-selling album of all time.

Dressed in naval jacket and Calvin Klein blue jeans, he attends the "Celebrate Michael" party, with actress and friend, Brooke Shields, 11 days after he suffered hair and scalp burns filming a Pepsi Cola commercial. Michael took several occasions that evening to step outside and greet his fans, from barricades in Central Park. At the event CBS Records president Walter Yetnikoff presented Michael with the first edition of the 1984 paperback version of the Guinness Book of World Records, who had stopped their presses to include the new record holder for the biggest selling album of all time, Michael Jackson's THRILLER.

Allen Davis, president of CBS Records International, read from a impressive list of awards and record breaking sales figures of his label's biggest selling artist: "Tonight, Michael, your international milestones for the album, THRILLER are a total of 67 gold awards, 58 platinum awards in 28 countries on 6 continents. And the singles with 9 million in sales have earned 15 more awards, bringing the total to 140 gold and platinum awards."

According to Susan Blond, who organized the event: "It was unbelievably exciting. Even to this day, I don't think anyone had become as big a star as he was at that moment." 25 year old Michael, the shy and sensitive singer, told the invitation-only audience of 1,500 how he felt about epic $1.4 million party staged to salute him. Clutching the wireless microphone in his sequined-gloved right hand, the child star who became a grown-up superstar smiled and said softly:

"I’ve been performing for twenty years. I started at 5 years old touring with my brothers, The Jackson 5, and still I haven’t – you know, I feel like I’ve just begun, you know. And I’ve always wanted to do great things and achieve many things, but for the first time in my entire career I feel like I’ve accomplished this, because I’m in the Guinness Book Of World Records. I'm so honored and deeply touched by it and thank you all. And I also thank CBS Records, which is the best record company in the world and Walter Yetnikoff, who is the best record company president in the world. And thank you all. You are all wonderful people. I'm very embarrassed but thank you."

1989 - Michael Jackson paid a visit to Cleveland Elementary School to see the children and families effected by the massacre that occurred on January 17, 1989, at Cleveland Elementary School in Stockton, California.

Michael had just returned from his Bad World Tour. He arrived at the school wearing black pants with multiple zippers and buckles and a black & red military jacket. He offering words of comfort to the surviving children by giving them confidence and hope to view the world more positively after such a traumatic experience.

Diane Batres, head of the Victim Witness program in Stockton, received a call from MJJ productions. At first, she thought it was someone wanting to make a film and she was furious. But when she learned it was Michael Jackson wanting to visit the school and offer comfort and moral support to the children, she was happy to set up a day when Michael could visit the school. Ms. Batres commented: "It was very kind of him to do this. He brought truckloads of gifts and held children in his arms. He was genuinely concerned and expressed his sorrow."

Michael Jackson visited each classroom at the "Cleveland Elementary School" in Stockton, CA, and the parents of the children at the nearby Central United Methodist Church, as well as the children checked in the hospital, 3 weeks after a gunman had fired 100 bullets into a playground, then committing suicide. 5 children were murdered and 39 injured during the attack. He also handed out gifts to each child, an autographed photo, a BAD tour t-shirt, and a BAD cassette. The Vice-Mayor of Stockton, Ron Coale, made the following statement about Jackson's goodwill visits: "Words cannot say how much turmoil this town had been through over the past few months. Michael Jackson’s visit has helped us to try and overcome it a little."

1999 - Adrian Grant holds his ninth MJ Day at London's Astoria Theatre. La Velle Smith, one of Michael's Michael's choreographers, attends the show and receives an accolade for his lifetime achievements and outstanding work on the short-film, 'Ghosts'.

2004 - Michael Jackson hires Raymone Bain as his new official spokesperson.

2009 - The Grammy Museum in Los Angeles unveils 'Michael Jackson: HIStyle'. This one-of-a-kind exhibit features a selection of the elaborate clothing that has come to define the King of Pop's uniquely personal style.

PICTURES OF THE DAY

2drc8xu.jpg

Michael receives Guiness World Record for Best selling solo
artist and best selling album for Thriller 1984

dr8acp.jpg

Michael visits Cleveland Elementary School to bring comfort and hope in Stockton, CA. 1989

SONG OF THE DAY

Show You The Way To Go / Michael and the Jackson's Destiny tour London 1979<object width="640" height="360">

<embed height="360" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="640" src="http://www.youtube.com/v/nJrwdGPqQGA?hl=en_US&version=3&rel=0" allowfullscreen="true" allowscriptaccess="always"></object>http://youtu.be/nJrwdGPqQGA

VIDEOS OF THE DAY

MICHAEL JACKSON Guinness Book of World Records party - 7th of February 1984

[video=youtube_share;YGTHRihEHhM]http://youtu.be/YGTHRihEHhM[/video]
http://youtu.be/YGTHRihEHhM

Rare - Michael Jackson visits Cleveland Elementary School - Stockton CA. 1989

[video=youtube_share;gzrih-ctdIM]http://youtu.be/gzrih-ctdIM[/video]
http://youtu.be/gzrih-ctdIM

QUOTE OF THE DAY

&#8220;Human knowledge consists not only of libraries of parchment
and ink - it is also comprised of the volumes of knowledge that
are written on the human heart, chiselled on the human soul,
and engraved on the human psyche.&#8221;

~ Michael Jackson

You may also enjoy
February ~ On This Day In Michael Jackson History - MJ Calendar 2013 in Legacy Project

* Your support and comments are greatly appreciated. Please feel free to contribute to this thread by commenting, adding pictures, videos or any other information related to this day in MJ History.
While doing researching for this project, Iv'e noticed different dates passed on through various sites for the same event. I am unable to check or verify them all by myself, so if you see any date or information that you believe is incorrect, please notify me here or by PM. I do put my heart and a lot of time in this project and want our information on MJJC to be as accurate as possible for Michael's legacy.

^^Michael is always thinking of others, and I wish we saw more references of this in the media.

The Destiny video had me dancing in my chair. I love to see Michael it tops that show off his broad shoulders. I notice at the party you can still see the effects of his injury on his face; he probably needed more rest. The list of VIP who acknowledged Michael is outstanding. One day we should make a list.

I love that he visited the school after the shootings--such a wonderful person and such a compassionate and great one too!! Love you MJ!!

Qbee, Wikipedia and the video both say 29 students were wounded, and one teacher. You say 39, but I don't think it's correct according to wikipedia and the video.

It is sad that all that good Michael did for children was almost forgotten due to the actions of 3 greedy families.

It is good to see the video with the award, because sometimes I forget the impact Thriller made on the American scene at that time. It also allows new fans to see the love showered on Michael at that time.

Back