Today in Michael Jackson History February 10th

qbee

Proud Member

Today in Michael Jackson History February 10th

HISTORICAL DATES

1977 - 'Enjoy Yourself' becomes The Jackson's first Official Gold record certified by the RIAA after leaving Motown for Epic Records (CBS). It was also the group's first Platinum single, as well as the first song to feature new member Randy Jackson. Jermaine who was married to Barry Gordy's daughter decided to stay with Motown when the brothers left.

1979 - On their Destiny Tour, The Jacksons perform at the Brighton Centre in Brighton (UK).

1998 - Michael arrives in Pensacola Fla. to join his crew for rehearsals of his “BAD” tour. Bad weather in Atlanta delayed his arrival by three days. The Rehearsals in Pensacola took place from Jan. 23rd - Feb 18th 1988

1992 - Michael Jackson departs LA airport for a visit to Africa. He travels for 11 days to visit hospitals, orphanages, schools, churches & institutions for mentally handicapped children, covering about 30,000 miles on his journey.

1993 - Michael Jackson Talks to Oprah is broadcast live from Neverland Valley attracting around 100 million viewers. As Michael shows his ranch to the world, he lays to rest many of the unfounded rumours about him and reveals that he suffers from a skin disorder that destroys the pigmentation of his skin. He improvises a beat box on "Who Is It" after doing the Moonwalk and gives a world premiere of his short film "Give into Me" featuring Michael performing on stage with Slash. Shooting of the video took place in Munich, Germany. Elizabeth Taylor also makes an appearance in support of her friend.

1996 - Michael Jackson goes to Rio de Janeiro to start shooting a second version of the "They Don’t Care About Us" short film directed by Spike Lee. He was welcomed with near-hysterical enthusiasm by fans in Salvador. Hand-in-hand with two Casio children, the singer sprinted across a shimmering runway to wave to hundreds of fans gathered on an airport balcony. This was the first time in his career, Michael made a second music video for a single. State authorities unsuccessfully tried to ban the filming in Rio de Janeiro and Salvador, fearing images of poverty and human rights abuses would affect tourism and their chances of hosting the Olympics in 2004. A judge had banned all filming but this ruling was overturned by an injunction. Although officials were angry, the residents were not and Michael was surrounded by crowds of enthusiastic onlookers during filming. In 2009, Billboard described the area that the film was shot in as "now a model for social development" and stated that Michael's influence was partially responsible for this improvement.

1997 - Michael Jackson begins shooting the short film for "Blood On The Dance Floor" in Los Angeles.

2005 - Actor Corey Feldman's manager said that the actor has been subpoenaed to testify in the Michael Jackson child molestation case. Feldman had sold a interview in which he said that Jackson showed him nude pictures when Feldman was in his early teens. The book turned out to be a medical book, Michael was reading that was on his cofee table.

PICTURE OF THE DAY

f5caaa.jpg

Michae Jackson filming "They Dont Care About Us" in Rio de Janeiro 1996

SONG OF THE DAY

They Don't Care About Us - Michael Jackson's short film

[video=youtube_share;QNJL6nfu__Q]http://youtu.be/QNJL6nfu__Q[/video]
http://youtu.be/QNJL6nfu__Q

VIDEOS OF THE DAY

Michael Jackson Talks To Oprah Full Interview ( 1993 )

[video=youtube_share;Q2EF-iYpqR8]http://youtu.be/Q2EF-iYpqR8 [/video]
http://youtu.be/Q2EF-iYpqR8

Michael's "Give into Me" short film - premiered on "Michael Talks to Oprah" interview 1993.

[video=youtube_share;LJ7qXHjxj_0]http://youtu.be/LJ7qXHjxj_0[/video]
http://youtu.be/LJ7qXHjxj_0

QUOTE OF THE DAY

" I'm a black American. I am proud to be a black american. I am proud
of my race. I am proud of who I am. I have a lot of pride and dignity."

~ Michael Jackson 1993

* You might also enjoy February ~ On This Day In Michael Jackson History - MJ Calendar 2013 in Legacy Project

* Your support and comments are greatly appreciated. Please feel free to contribute to this thread
by commenting, adding pictures, videos or any other information related to this day in MJ History.

Michael was good to Oprah and I don't get her hate for him. For someone who says people should be tolerant and understanding she showed Michael none. I don't like Corey Feldman either.

That Corey is an opportunist; Oprah needs to be educated and not let prejudices affect her judgment. I never liked the way Michael was left to stand in his own home like a fool, not having a chair to sit on, while Oprah continued interviewing Taylor who was sitting in the chair Michael had vacated. I always wondered if that interview had a positive impact on Michel, since Oprah's demeanor during the interview suggested that either she did not believe him, or that to her Michael was not "like us" which I felt an audience who did not care about Michael would pick up on. I mean did people think of Michael or talk about him more kindly after that interview? I deliberately avoided that interview until Michael's death, & I picked up a lot of negative nuances in it, but maybe others might find it a great turning point in the way the public perceived him?

In that interview, Oprah was her usual obtuse, Alfred E. Neuman of the tabloids self. Are you a virgin? She should be ashamed.

People had different opinions back then after the interview. Someone posted news articles showing polls of who had a different opinion of Michael after the interview.

qbee;3775766 said:
1996 - Michael Jackson goes to Rio de Janeiro to start shooting a second version of the "They Don’t Care About Us" short film directed by Spike Lee. He was welcomed with near-hysterical enthusiasm by fans in Salvador. Hand-in-hand with two Casio children, the singer sprinted across a shimmering runway to wave to hundreds of fans gathered on an airport balcony. This was the first time in his career, Michael made a second music video for a single. State authorities unsuccessfully tried to ban the filming in Rio de Janeiro and Salvador, fearing images of poverty and human rights abuses would affect tourism and their chances of hosting the Olympics in 2004. A judge had banned all filming but this ruling was overturned by an injunction. Although officials were angry, the residents were not and Michael was surrounded by crowds of enthusiastic onlookers during filming. In 2009, Billboard described the area that the film was shot in as "now a model for social development" and stated that Michael's influence was partially responsible for this improvement.

PICTURE OF THE DAY

f5caaa.jpg

Michae Jackson filming "They Dont Care About Us" in Rio de Janeiro 1996

SONG OF THE DAY

They Don't Care About Us - Michael Jackson's short film

[video=youtube_share;QNJL6nfu__Q]http://youtu.be/QNJL6nfu__Q[/video]
http://youtu.be/QNJL6nfu__Q

Brazil!!!
kermit.gif
tumblr_m8pgrqJ7QC1r6kpk7.gif
www.MessenTools.com-Humor-pelos-locos.gif
63091658.gif

People had different opinions back then after the interview. Someone posted news articles showing polls of who had a different opinion of Michael after the interview.

Thanks, but in what way was the opinion different? Did they still think he was weird, strange, bizarre, bleaching his skin to be white--did their opinions change in terms of the crucial untruths that made Michael's life a misery--that is what I am driving at. Also, maybe I spent too much time in graduate school doing painful statistic classes, but I always want to know a little bit more about the characteristics of polls to see to what extent they can be generalized to the general public.

Ash you have the best gifs. that one in the blue pants is classic!!

I think people started to see Michael as a person after the interview with Oprah. He was relaxed and happy. It felt that way. Back then I don't remember anything bad. Sure people joked about him but it wasn't until the allegations that hurt Michael. To me that hurts him the most out of anything. People get interviewed about him even now and that gets brought up.

^^Yes I have heard fans on here say they liked that interveiw too.

Back