Today in Michael Jackson History April 21st and 22nd - Happy Earth Day

qbee

Proud Member
Today in Michael Jackson History April 21st and 22nd

HAPPY EARTH DAY

33bltsz.jpg

HISTORICAL DATES

April 21:

1988 - Michael Jackson performs the 3rd and last of 3 dates of his BAD Tour at The Rosemont Horizon, Chicago Illinois. While in Chicago Michael is presented with the keys to the city by mayor Eugene Sawyer

- The Discovery Channel announces Michael Jackson as one of the nominees for it's soon to be released film, a seven-part series count down of the 'Greatest Americans'. Other nominees include George Washington, Hugh Hefner, Hillary Clinton, Abraham Lincoln, Bill Clinton, George W. Bush, John Wayne, Johnny Carson, and Arnold Schwarzenegger.

April 22:

- The Jackson 5 tour Japan. While in Japan, Michael and his brothers take time to visit Buddhist temples, art museums and the Oriental Gardens of the Takanawa Prince Hotel. Amongst their dates the group performs at Tokyo's Annual Music Festival at the Imperial Palace as well as Osaka and Hiroshima.

1974 - The Jackson Family plays the fourteenth of fifteen nights at the MGM Grand Hotel, Las Vegas (Nevada).

1979 - Jacksons perform the 2nd of 2 non-consecutive Destiny Tour concerts at the Valley Forge Music Fair, Pennsylvania

PICTURE OF THE DAY

34of060.jpg

Michael Jackson at The Rosemont Horizon, Chicago April 1988

SONG OF THE DAY

Earth Song - Michael's official short film

http://youtu.be/XAi3VTSdTxU

VIDEOS OF THE DAY

Michael and J5 sing 'Never Can Say Goodbye' live in Japan. 1973

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kKfF9yYPWg8

Michael Jackson recites his - Planet Earth Poem

http://youtu.be/0Z4c-ru6Y2k

QUOTE OF THE DAY

"Did you know that an area of tropical rainforest the size of six football fields
is burned every minute, and destroyed? Did you know that 3 million children
die every minute, and did you also know that every hour 300 children die from
hunger? But I believe in us as a people, I know we can make a difference."

"We have to heal our wounded planet."

~ Michael Jackson

* For your convenience > MJJC Index For all "Today In Michael Jackson History" Threads

* A major part of historical data comes from Michael Jackson: A Visual Documentary

Your support and comments are greatly appreciated. Please feel free to contribute to this thread by commenting, adding pictures, videos or any other information related to this day in MJ History. Please PM Qbee if you find any misinformation or broken links to pictures, videos etc.

The first time I heard Earth Song, I had goosebumps. Then, the first time I saw the video, I watched it over, and over and over. I want someone to have the ending scream repeated continuously, so I have only that sound for about 10 minutes on a cd. Then, I could blast it all over the house.

2005 - The Discovery Channel announces Michael Jackson as one of the nominees for it's soon to be released film, a seven-part series count down of the 'Greatest Americans'. Other nominees include George Washington, Hugh Hefner, Hillary Clinton, Abraham Lincoln, Bill Clinton, George W. Bush, John Wayne, Johnny Carson, and Arnold Schwarzenegger.

Was he selected to be part of the greatest americans'?

Michael was nominated in the top one hundred but didn't make to the top 25. The nominees were voted on by the public .. I googled it and found a little info but not sure if they nominated one finalist or not.

Here is some info on wiki and I also found a video of matt lauer promoting it.

The Greatest American was a four-part American television series hosted by Matt Lauer in 2005. The show featured biographies and lists of influential persons in U.S. history, and culminated in a contest in which millions in the audience nominated and voted for the person they felt was the "greatest American". The competition was conducted by AOL and the Discovery Channel and reported on by the BBC.

Nominations were accepted through 31 January 2005. The seven-hour-long series was broken into four episodes: The first episode counted down the top 100 and introduced the top 25 nominees in alphabetical order. The second episode featured biographies of the top 25 nominees as well as commentaries from influential people such as celebrities and politicians. The third episode, called "The Great Debate", introduced the top five nominees and pitted the studio audience supporters of each of the nominees and a person selected to represent each of the top five candidates against a panel of three celebrities. In the finale the top five "Greatest Americans" were announced as well as what percentage of the votes each had received. Votes were taken through a toll free (if calling from a land line) phone number, through text messages from cell phones, and through online voting. Voters were allowed to vote three times per voting method, so anyone had a chance of voting at least nine times.

Top 25

1. Ronald Reagan
  2. Abraham Lincoln
  3. Martin Luther King, Jr.
  4. George Washington
  5. Benjamin Franklin
  6. George W. Bush
  7. Bill Clinton
  8. Elvis Presley
  9. Oprah Winfrey
  10. Franklin D. Roosevelt
  11. Billy Graham