Today in "Black" history: Michael Jackson wins 8 Grammys

Moonwalker.Fan

Proud Member
michaeljackson450x300.jpg

Photo: Michael Jackson with Quincy Jones shown at the Grammy Awards, Feb. 28, 1984 in Los Angeles. Doug Pizac/Saxon/AP

On February 28, 1984, musician and entertainer Michael Jackson won an amazing eight awards at the 26th Grammy Awards show:
*Best R&B Vocal, Male for 'Billie Jean',
*Best R&B Song (Songwriter) for 'Billie Jean',
*Best Rock Vocal, Male for 'Beat It',
*Producer of the Year (Non-Classical),
*Best Pop Vocal, Male for 'Thriller,
*Best Video Album for 'Thriller,
*Record of the Year 'Beat It',
*Album of the Year for 'Thriller',
*Best Recording for Children (Quincy Jones (Producer) & Michael Jackson for 'E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial' on this day.

Jackson (August 29, 1958 - June 25, 2009) is recognized as the most successful entertainer of all time by Guinness World Records. His contributions to music, dance, and fashion, along with a much-publicized personal life, made him a global figure in popular culture for over four decades.

The music videos for his songs, including "Beat It," "Billie Jean," and "Thriller," were credited with breaking down racial barriers and transforming the medium into an art form and promotional tool.

Through stage and video performances, Jackson popularized a number of complicated dance techniques, such as the robot, and the moonwalk, to which he gave the name. His distinctive sound and style has influenced numerous hip hop, post-disco, contemporary R&B, pop, and rock artists.

Jackson won hundreds of awards, which made him the most-awarded recording artist in the history of popular music. In what would have been Jackson's 52nd birthday on 29 August 2010, he became the most downloaded artist of all time.

When Michael Jackson died in 2009, People's World editor Joe Sims wrote Remembering Michael Jackson, linked here. And graphic artist Marguerite Wright wrote a review of Michael Jackson's final performance "This is It" for People's World, linked here.

http://peoplesworld.org/today-in-black-history-michael-jackson-wins-8-grammys/

Last edited:
As far as I know it's still the most watched Grammys! No wonder.

All the more surprising how reluctant they were to award him after that...

When people like Eminem or Beyoncé have more Grammys than Michael or Prince, you know that something is just not right...

respect77;3783921 said:
When people like Eminem or Beyoncé have more Grammys than Michael or Prince, you know that something is just not right...

Well, they, as well as Kenye West or Jay-Z, are far more prolific artists/entertainers, thats the fact, but the fact is that it does not mean that they are relevant, iconic and have the legend thing/status like Michael.... for generations of people/fans around the world!!!!!!! (the world is the key word!)

Jay-Z has won 21 and Kenye has won 19 Grammys!!!!!
Michael as a solo won 13, with J5 won 1 and for We Are The World won 4 Grammys = 18 Grammys.
(btw, we can see how Adele (the totally overrated artist) is receiving the media support as their protege and wins everything (for nothing))

I've always wondered why Michael didn't recieve more Grammys after Thriller if BAD, Dangerous and HIStory are better albums in terms of everything releated. Racism perhaps? :scratch:

I've always wondered why Michael didn't recieve more Grammys after Thriller if BAD, Dangerous and HIStory are better albums in terms of everything releated. Racism perhaps? :scratch:

I tthink it was a part of their cutting him down to size after the immense success of Thriller.

Politics.

The only thing I think they would've let him win Grammys for is if he released some kind of acoustic album or did something with Quincy or sold an album with like 500,000 copies. He was too big and not considered credible enough after 1984.

For Leave me Alone video or Dangerous Album sound "some guy" won the Grammy, but not MJ himself.
I am not sure if there was any competition..., MJ was MJ, but there was George Michael and his Faith album, or Joshua Tree by U2, simply they breat BAD, and in 1993 there was Eric Clapton..., unbeatable.

Last edited:
MJ was way better than George Michael, Josh Tree, and Eric Clapton. The fans speak for themselves. MJ had way more fans than any of them. He also had more of a impact on people during concert. None of those guys were invited to the White House, but MJ. MJ even influenced politicians. They didn't give MJ a grammy because they were racist.

For Leave me Alone video or Dangerous Album sound "some guy" won the Grammy, but not MJ himself.
I am not sure if there was any competition..., MJ was MJ, but there was George Michael and his Faith album, or Joshua Tree by U2, simply they breat BAD, and in 1993 there was Eric Clapton..., unbeatable.

MJ was way better than George Michael, Josh Tree, and Eric Clapton. The fans speak for themselves. MJ had way more fans than any of them. He also had more of a impact on people during concert. None of those guys were invited to the White House, but MJ. MJ even influenced Politicians. They didn't give MJ a grammy because, number 1, they were racist, and wanted whites to have a grammy instead of MJ, even if they didn't earn it. Number 2, MJ start singing songs that regarded Christianty, and the illuminati didn't like that. During Thriller MJ was working for the illuminati.

I think a lot of things with Michael had to do with racism. Not just with the Grammys.

Michael I think I read is the most awarded artist ever. I can only imagine how many awards he received. People like Kanye and Jay Z are overrated. I am not into their music at all. I understand that some people are and that's fine. Michael suffered and opened the doors for all these people. It's nice that this day is being remembered.

People tried to put Michael down but he kept rising above it and breaking records. Michael's legacy is strong.

Re: Michael Jackson wins 8 Grammys On February 28, 1984

When people like Eminem have more Grammys than Michael or Prince, you know that something is just not right...

I think it's sick that someone who wrote songs about raping his own mother and killing his (ex) wife has won all those grammys. Some people will say that Eminem was just joking but to me rape and murder are very serious subjects and should not be taken lightly. Many people have gone through traumatizing experiences because of those things.

Also the double standard between Eminem and Michael Jackson is something that disgusts me. Eminem can write songs about raping his own mother and killing his (ex) wife and he wins tons of grammys and gets his ass kissed by the media. But when Michael did something harmless like wear a surgical mask then he was called w*** j***, weird, a freak etc

^Don't you think it also had to do with the time? For example, if some ''artist'' would to that nowadays, no one would even turn their head around to take a look. While back then, everything you did what is normal now was extreme.

Kinda complicated what i explained but hope its clear enough to understand.

Wow, for some reason I thought this thread would be very positive for MJ and the members to celebrate (silly me)

I don't see anything wrong expressing how unfair the Grammys have been to Michael over other performers who even aren't real singers. We're free to express our agreements and disagreements in the forum.

Last edited:
I don't see anything wrong expressing how unfair the Grammys have been to Michael over other other performer who even aren't real singers. We're free to express our agreements and disagreements in the forum.

Actually no one said there was anything wrong with you expressing your negative feelings toward anything or "everything" that you have negative feelings about. Also no one said you were not free to express your agreements and or disagreements. To each his own... please by all means feel free to continue doing what you do. No need to be defensive.

^^ Correct . I know what you were replying to. I said I thought this would be a positive thread. Listen, We can always find something negative if that's what we focus on. I will also add I was disappointed it turned toward the negative. I find it very depressing myself, to see so much of it here. but I certainly didn't say anyone was wrong or not free to voice their own opinions. I was just voicing mine. So as I said no need to be defensive... Feel free to continue.

Back