Today: Got To Be There - the 40th anniversary of first solo single

Moonwalker.Fan

Proud Member
220px-Michael_Jackson_-_Got_to_be_there_(single).jpeg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Got_to_Be_There_(song)

"Got to Be There" is a 1971 single released by Michael Jackson on the Motown label. It was the singer's first solo single following his successful tenure as the lead singer of The Jackson 5. Jackson's solo career began in earnest after its success. The single, written by Elliot Willensky and produced by longtime Jackson 5 producer Hal Davis, was an immediate success. It reached #1 on the Cashbox singles chart, and #4 on both the Billboard pop and R&B charts.[SUP][1][/SUP] It also dominated some European markets, including a #5 position in the UK Singles Chart.[SUP][2][/SUP] With this first hit as a solo artist secured, Motown helped to establish Jackson as a solo act while still with his brothers.
"Got to Be There" was covered by Chaka Khan on her eponymous 1982 solo album. It was also covered by Boyz II Men for their 2007 album Motown: A Journey Through Hitsville USA, and by The Miracles on their albums Flying High Together, and Smokey Robinson & The Miracles: 1957-1972. A mostly instrumental version of the song was recorded by jazz guitarist/singer George Benson for his 1993 release Love Remembers.

"Maria (You Were The Only One)"
October 7, 1971
7" single
June - July 1971
Soul, soft rock, rhythm and blues
3:22
Motown Records
Elliot Willensky
Hal Davis
B-side
Released
Format
Recorded Genre
Length Label Writer(s) Producer

Last edited:
Wow, that's cool. This was the very start of Michael's solo career. Who could know at that thime that this young, guiltless child will turn out to be the greatest and most influential entertainer and singer the world has ever seen!

you know what..., if we imagine all the circumstances ... what is happenig now (trial vs. tribute gigs vs. Cirque du Soleil)... and the innocent era of the first solo single through Thriller and This is it... its... spectacular in a way... and there has been nobody like MJ before and never will be ....

you know what..., if we imagine all the circumstances ... what is happenig now (trial vs. tribute gigs vs. Cirque du Soleil)... and the innocent era of the first solo single through Thriller and This is it... its... spectacular in a way... and there has been nobody like MJ before and never will be ....

Yeah, I agree. By all those things that are happening now, this news is something like a fresh breathe.
And I'm wondering how little Mike would have reacted if someone who travelled back in time would tell him that already in 15 years from then Michael would be the biggest entertainer of all time and breaking all kind of music records.

Great song, one of the best from little Michael :) Had no idea it was his first solo effort and certainly had no idea it was released today, of all days.

Thanks for the heads up Moonwalker.Fan, much appreciated.

o/t Nonoka, great location u got there. I actually have family in Bavaria. One of my aunts moved there this year.

Last edited:
Wow 40 years, that's amazing.........

This just makes one realise how long Michael's career was.........

Michael didn't just define one generation, it must of been 3 or 4!!!!

I was about 8 when these songs were released. They were all played on AM radio constantly. My older sisters bought the records. Got To Be There and Maria...and all the early MJ, J5 stuff are forever part of my childhood...a very happy part.

Beautiful voice. Beautiful song, but oh so sad to listen to :(

OMG, I can't believe it has been so long. It makes me so sad whenever I hear this song..:( I wish I was born to experience all the MJ eras but I was unfortunately born too late. :teary_eyed:

This was my first Mj song thats when l became a fan around five years of age:)

That's amazing to think about. If only there were a time machine for me to go back to 40 years ago today so I could live through it! I'd give anything for that! Michael was so young. Just a child.

Back