Timbaland: THEFT!

BUMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMP!

This forum is like a chart. You don't wanna be number two, you wanna be number one!

Last edited:
The first example has been up here to discussion before. It's not the first time things like this happen and probably not the last.

Last edited:
yeah is a HUGE stealer. shame that he is the one making the biggest hits today.

Every artist/musician borrows or downright steals from other artists. It happens all the time. :yes:

Last edited:
^ Even...Michael Jackson. :shock:

Wow...strip the king of pop from his crown!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I know this already, so do alot of people... lol
he takes arabic samples alot, but more recently he almost got sued for stealing an unknown european sample for nelly furtado's song do it. Not to mention Prince's Beautiful Ones in Justins Timberlakes song

This is example to me is the most disgusting - the song "apologize". I tell people "its not fair Timbaland gets credit for this song he did NOTHING towards it" and they will say "no Timbaland made the music and the beat" - NO HE DIDNT!

Here is the ORIGINAL of the song, released in 2006:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fm0T7_SGee4

And here is Timbalands one, which is identical!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ePyRrb2-fzs

He has copied practiacally every element of the song which already existed and ONE REPUBLIC recorded new vocals. Timbaland just had to press his little buttons on that machine he uses and make it sound identical to the original. Outrageous in my opinion.

This is example to me is the most disgusting - the song "apologize". I tell people "its not fair Timbaland gets credit for this song he did NOTHING towards it" and they will say "no Timbaland made the music and the beat" - NO HE DIDNT!

Here is the ORIGINAL of the song, released in 2006:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fm0T7_SGee4

And here is Timbalands one, which is identical!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ePyRrb2-fzs

He has copied practiacally every element of the song which already existed and ONE REPUBLIC recorded new vocals. Timbaland just had to press his little buttons on that machine he uses and make it sound identical to the original. Outrageous in my opinion.
:eek: NO way, I thought he was the producer of that song. Meaning he came up with it and co wrote it or something.
What the hell:unsure:

Last edited:
Well damn! :lol: Are you all sure those artists didn't receive any credit as being sampled? It's too clear and evident that the songs are copied. Also, did he work on these songs solely or were there other producers/writers? It's possible other people he collaborated with brought these stolen beats to him. :unsure: I just can't believe he'd be this crazy to lift whole songs and change very little so that it's not as obvious. These people HAD to have gotten some sort of credit. Otherwise, all I can say is what the beep?!:huh: Has be been sued by these people or does no one care...cuz you know if it had been MJ and one phrase was the same, everyone and their dog would be claiming he stole it. :lol:

And I thought Big Pimpin' was sampled from another song (which I can't remember right now). I didn't know Timbaland claimed it was original.

Edit: I just went and checked the liner notes of my Jay-Z CD and not only does it claim Timbaland produced it but there's no credit to anyone for a sample. Lawd! :ph34r:

Last edited:
Well damn! :lol: Are you all sure those artists didn't receive any credit as being sampled? It's too clear and evident that the songs are copied. Also, did he work on these songs solely or were there other producers/writers? It's possible other people he collaborated with brought these stolen beats to him. :unsure: I just can't believe he'd be this crazy to lift whole songs and change very little so that it's not as obvious. These people HAD to have gotten some sort of credit. Otherwise, all I can say is what the beep?!:huh: Has be been sued by these people or does no one care...cuz you know if it had been MJ and one phrase was the same, everyone and their dog would be claiming he stole it. :lol:

And I thought Big Pimpin' was sampled from another song (which I can't remember right now). I didn't know Timbaland claimed it was original.

Edit: I just went and checked the liner notes of my Jay-Z CD and not only does it claim Timbaland produced it but there's no credit to anyone for a sample. Lawd! :ph34r:
He got caught out with the Nelly Furtado song Do It, he took that with no permission. People think just cause its from unknown countries no one will notice. Wrong.

Wow. Thats all I can say. People need to start bringing lawsuits against him if he's going around claiming other people's work as his.

well..it will catch up with him.. it always does. it happened to a guy named michael bolton, in the nineties. he was caught plagarising and he was arrested on tv for the whole public to see..lol

I agree with you Damien.
He just added the annoying "eh, eh , eh" in it.

Exactly. The reason why I hate Timbaland is that every one of his songs sound exactly the same. It's like he has found the perfect recepy for a hit and now he's using it on his every song. They all have the same effects, the annoying "eheh"'s...

And now I got another reason to hate him, lol.

well..it will catch up with him.. it always does. it happened to a guy named michael bolton, in the nineties. he was caught plagarising and he was arrested on tv for the whole public to see..lol

are you serious? I never knew that!!!

I agree with you damien..

but the song apologize was just 'remixed' by Timbaland.. He called the group up and asked if he could remix it and add it to one of his albums..

at first they did not like the idea, but then allowed it because of the exposer it would get being with Timbaland...

I agree with you damien..

but the song apologize was just 'remixed' by Timbaland.. He called the group up and asked if he could remix it and add it to one of his albums..

at first they did not like the idea, but then allowed it because of the exposer it would get being with Timbaland...
I didn't know that I thought he founded them and produced their song and featured them on his record. Thats how its made to look to the general public.

Atleast give credit to the ones who have talent. The middleastern musicians, all these young ignorant ones who think timbaland is some sort of genius. Middleastern music is beautiful and is all about the MELODY, and has been since forever. If a song has a good melody it's a hit no matter what!
Now all of a sudden these producers have aknowleded that and use it for what it's worth.

It's a shame that things like this don't get out to the public.

Last edited:
Exactly. The reason why I hate Timbaland is that every one of his songs sound exactly the same. It's like he has found the perfect recepy for a hit and now he's using it on his every song. They all have the same effects, the annoying "eheh"'s...

And now I got another reason to hate him, lol.

Most of his singles sound the same, because that is the Timbaland sound & they know it sells.

Listen to these . . .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7iq5ijZsmwA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XewBty95JVg

not all his songs sound the same, I hate that he doesn't give credit all the time when he samples others work.

He got caught out with the Nelly Furtado song Do It, he took that with no permission. People think just cause its from unknown countries no one will notice. Wrong.

Finland.. an unknown country? :eek: :lol:

And this is what Timbaland has answered

Timbaland interviewed on "Elliot in the Morning", 2007-02-02
============================================================
transcribed by Matt Westcott - comments and corrections to gasman@raww.org

Presenter: Timbaland is with us this morning - the CD "Shock Value", that's up next for you. Interesting mix of people on it.

Timbaland: Yes. Lot of shocking news.

P: Let me ask you this. How hard is it- well, I mean, it's easy for you to, like you said, create a beat. Is it, um- we were talking about it before you got here. Is- If somebody is close to the same level as you are, is it conceivable that two people could sit down and create something that's pretty similar?

T: [long pause] You could have sampled something to similar, but you can't- In our opin- Music today, you [look at] some old song, and it's like "hey, that's how [it went], this song out today".

P: Right.

T: And what if they got it from that. And somebody says, "I've never heard that song a day in my life." Music isn't nothing but sounds and notes that repeats itself.

P: Do you feel like you get ripped off a lot?

T: Yeah. All the time, but I'm used to it now. But now I'm like "Hey, you love me don't you." That's what I tell people. "You love me, I'm [all your mine]".

P: Have you ever ripped anybody else off?

T: Er - I haven't *ripped* nobody else off. But have I sampled? Hell, yeah.

T: I didn't rip- go say "Hey I'm gonna steal your beat". I don't have to, I'm too good. [laughs]

P: Now what is the- so what's with the- okay, I love it! - What's with the case with these- with the Finnish guys, who say-

T: Finn- er...

P: From Finland, who say you stole their stuff?

T: I put it this way. 'Cause, that mess is so ridiculous, I can't really talk about it because I'm in legal- legal discussions and whatever, but I'm gonna tell you, if people- That's what I don't believe. Look at my face- I don't know who they faces are.

T: The hell wrong with them? [laughs] That's all I can tell you.

T: It's from a video game, idiot! [laughs]

P: [laughs]

T: Freaking jerk.

P: So that's, so that's all in, tied up in court right now?

T: Yeah, 'cause it's like, my whole thing is, yeah, because don't say I stole some- like, you act- like you just say- A sample, and stole, are two different things.

P: Right. Give me the quick definition that splits those.

T: S- Stole is like I walked in your house, watch you make that beat, took your pro tools and went to my place and gave it to Nells and said "Hey, I got this great song."

T: Is he crazy? I live in America. I don't even stay in Finla- I ain't gonna get into it. Then sample is like, you heard it somewhere, and you just sample it.

T: But you didn't know, maybe you didn't know who it was by because it don't have the credits listed.

T: So you just use it. Hey, I don't know, I like it, but I'm gonna use it. Maybe somebody, you know, might well put a sample claim in, or, I don't know. You know what I'm saying, but-

T: I like it, I don't have no researchin'- time is coming up when I got to turn a record in.

T: So, that's what sampling is. That's not stealing, 'cause everybody sample from everybody every day.

T: And that's what a sample is, like, it maybe [even needs a] credit, cause, hey, I sampled it, I got it from a game. I don't know.

T: And you have a listen. And it say, C-64, Commodore 64. I don't know. You know what I'm saying? So, I like it. I found it. I got sounds upon sounds upon sound. I don't know what's public domain and what's not. Some stuff don't say.

T: Some stuff say it, it says it.

P: So the stuff that's public, you just - "F- it, I'm gonna use it"?

T: Yeah, you can use it. It's like, I think Swizzy got sued one time for using the Casio thing, in the Casio equipment that you buy. But who- well I think they settled, because it's like "Yo, I brought 'em keyboard. I brought it. They made it for me to use..."

T: "It was a demo in there that I like, and I flip it a certain way - how you gonna sue me? It's a demo. I brought - the demo."

T: "Don't - you can't sue me for buying what I b- I purchased this." You just say "Hey, by the way, don't sample"- it's like, "Well why am I gonna buy the keyboard?" You know?

P: In the world you live in, in terms of being a producer, does that kind of stuff, all the behind-the-scenes legal stuff, does that go on a lot?

T: It go on a lot 'cause everybody want to come out of the woodwork, say like "you done something. You stole this." Or, You- whatever. Whatever. Whatever. Whatever. Come on man, I'm good.

P: [laughs]

^^^^^^HAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAA

note to anyone writing music: THIS is why you GOTSSS to get ur stuff copyrighted!!!!!!

or else...say hello to Timbaland.:lol:

he's not breaking any laws. if u don't protect ur stuff..it ain't urs to protect..

and if u don't believe in it, most likely u won't go to great lengths to make sure everybody knows it's urs LOONGG before somn good happens to it. and u should bust yo a$$ tryin to make somn good happen to it, URSELF!!!

one things for sure tho...i don't respect timbaland.

Finland.. an unknown country? :eek: :lol:

And this is what Timbaland has answered

:lol: To most people who listen to the music within the beats these big time 'producers' make, they have no idea its from other countries or producers. And the producers probably feel that 'oh no one will know this in america' so they take it.:mello:

yea i dont know why they assume if its from another country Americans wouldn't be able to tell its stolen..
theres Americans who listen to other countries music as well. and can tell its stolen or taken right away..so we are not stupid. arab americans and indian americans can tell right away.

rappers take alot of samples of music omg
arabic...music from india...american oldies music...movie music....

Madonna and the band No Doubt with Gwen Stefani took michael jackson billie jeans background beat. for their songs.

maybe they need more of their own beats........aren't artists supposed to be creative..their supposed to create their own music.

tupac did it as well. (dont know if it was stolen) but my point is its not a new thing either. and its not only Timbaland. but theres tons of rap songs where the beat is not original. and fans sit around thinking wow he has some great beats but yet it was someone elses. or singers too..not only rappers. stolen or not. its not that creative.

i heard india was complaining about stolen music all the time. some of you probably heard Hindi women singing in the chorus of some rap songs.. i hear the original songs and always wondered if they paid for it.

its ok to enjoy a songs background beat and maybe want it in your own song..but..as long as the owner of that music lets you and you pay them royalities.. seriously......

you would think rappers or singers would realize its bad to steal music yet they do it themselfs.

i remeber this whole uproar over Napster and free music online...yet musicians..rappers themselfs have been doing this with music for years.
respect other peoples things.

Last edited:
^^^^^^HAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAA

note to anyone writing music: THIS is why you GOTSSS to get ur stuff copyrighted!!!!!!

or else...say hello to Timbaland.:lol:

he's not breaking any laws. if u don't protect ur stuff..it ain't urs to protect..

and if u don't believe in it, most likely u won't go to great lengths to make sure everybody knows it's urs LOONGG before somn good happens to it. and u should bust yo a$$ tryin to make somn good happen to it, URSELF!!!

one things for sure tho...i don't respect timbaland.

Timbaland is breaking copyright law with what he is doing. A lot of people misunderstand how copyright law works. A lot of people think you have to register a work for it to be protected and that's not true at all. Copyright happens automatically as soon as a work is recorded on a medium, either by video, music tape, or paper but the form it must be recorded in to enjoy copyright differs depending on the type of work you are creating. A song consists of two copyrights, its a musical work in terms of the music and a literary work in terms of the words.

For example if I write my lyrics for a song on a piece of paper, as soon as write those words on paper they are copyrighted and should be protected. I do not have to register it to get copyright, copyright is automatic as soon as you commit your idea/expression of an idea to paper.

The only reason why people tend to register songs with publishing companies etc is that it makes it easier to ascertain authorship if an issue of copyright arises. However registering a song with a publishing company doesn't give a work copyright because a work automatically is protected by copyright immediately after it is created.

I hope this helps.

Timbaland is breaking copyright law with what he is doing. A lot of people misunderstand how copyright law works. A lot of people think you have to register a work for it to be protected and that's not true at all. Copyright happens automatically as soon as a work is recorded on a medium, either by video, music tape, or paper but the form it must be recorded in to enjoy copyright differs depending on the type of work you are creating. A song consists of two copyrights, its a musical work in terms of the music and a literary work in terms of the words.

For example if I write my lyrics for a song on a piece of paper, as soon as write those words on paper they are copyrighted and should be protected. I do not have to register it to get copyright, copyright is automatic as soon as you commit your idea/expression of an idea to paper.

The only reason why people tend to register songs with publishing companies etc is that it makes it easier to ascertain authorship if an issue of copyright arises. However registering a song with a publishing company doesn't give a work copyright because a work automatically is protected by copyright immediately after it is created.

I hope this helps.

yeah but it doesn't stop people from making 'contracts' where they say u give up ur rights as soon as u enter this contest, for example...

and what about 'public domain'...for people who don't get an 'official' copyright?

yeah but it doesn't stop people from making 'contracts' where they say u give up ur rights as soon as u enter this contest, for example...

and what about 'public domain'...for people who don't get an 'official' copyright?

As I said before a person owns the copyright in something as soon as they create it. It is their choice whether they wish to assign copyright to another individual or not. However initially copyright always belongs to the person who creates the material unless there is already some contract that says otherwise. Timbaland is still in breach of copyright though because somebody owns the copyright in the original work either it be the creators or somebody else.

As for work being in the public domain, a work only enters the public domain after a long period of time, copyright lasts for the life of the author plus 70 years. Therefore Timbaland cannot argue that someone's work was in the public domain unless it was created 100 years ago lol.

There is no such thing as official copyright or non-official copyright. Copyright is copyright. If it can be proved that someobody has taken another person's expression of an idea then it is breach of copyright.

Last edited:
Back