TII Blu-ray - is it worth buying?

blue_eyed_belle

Proud Member
I just want to ask, is it worth getting the blu-ray? Or is the DVD's extra footage good enough? I'm not a big collector, so there's no reason for me to get the blu-ray other than for the footage (I already have a copy of the special ed. DVD) so if there's nothing really worth watching that isn't on the DVD then I'll save my money.

Thanks guys xxx

The only reason I went for the blu ray is because of the high defination.
Don't know if there are more features on it than on the dvd, but HD is really magnificent:)

Thanks for this :) I think that there is more special footage, but only an hour or so more...not much.

Anyone else got the DVD and blu-ray and could therefore compare?

oh I found this in an other mjjc thread:

Single Disc DVD Bonus Material
• “Staging the Return: The Adventure Begins” Making-of Documentary
This in-depth documentary reveals Michael Jackson’s unique, groundbreaking vision for his ambitious return to the stage, with director Kenny Ortega and the entire crew from This Is It.
• “Staging the Return: Beyond the Show” Making-of Documentary
Director Kenny Ortega and the crew of This Is It discuss Michael Jackson’s final rehearsals, and the purpose behind creating the concert film.
• “The Gloved One” Costumes Featurette
Costume Designer Zaldy reveals the elaborate new costumes created for Michael Jackson to wear on the This Is It tour.
• “Memories of Michael” Featurette
Kenny Ortega and the crew of This Is It share personal stories about working with Michael Jackson, and how they will remember their friend.
• “Auditions: Searching for the World’s Best Dancers” Featurette
A look at the high-stakes audition process, which began with over 5,000 applicants and ended with the selection of 11 exceptionally talented dancers.
• “The Unfinished Rehearsals” Featurette
Kenny Ortega and Production Designer Michael Cotten reveal two show-stopping concepts for This Is It which never made it to the big screen.
• Theatrical Trailer

Two-Disc Special Edition DVD Bonus Material
• Disc One:
This in-depth documentary reveals Michael Jackson’s unique, groundbreaking vision for his ambitious return to the stage, with director Kenny Ortega and the entire crew from This Is It.
Director Kenny Ortega and the crew of This Is It discuss Michael Jackson’s final rehearsals, and the purpose behind creating the concert film.
Costume Designer Zaldy reveals the elaborate new costumes created for Michael Jackson to wear on the This Is It tour.
Kenny Ortega and the crew of This Is It share personal stories about working with Michael Jackson, and how they will remember their friend.
A look at the high-stakes audition process, which began with over 5,000 applicants and ended with the selection of 11 exceptionally talented dancers.
• “The Unfinished Rehearsals” Featurette
Kenny Ortega and Production Designer Michael Cotton reveal two show-stopping concepts for This Is It which never made it to the big screen.
• Theatrical Trailer

• Disc Two:
• 3 Featurettes:
• Meet the Dancers
Meet each of the 11 dancers chosen among thousands to dance with Michael Jackson on his This Is It tour.
• Meet the Band
Go behind the scenes with the band members chosen to perform on the This Is It tour with Michael Jackson
• Meet the Vocalists
Go behind the scenes with the vocalists selected to sing with Michael Jackson on the This Is It Tour

Single-Disc Blu-ray Bonus Material
• Meet the Dancers
Meet each of the 11 dancers chosen among thousands to dance with Michael Jackson on his This Is It tour.
• Meet the Band
Go behind the scenes with the band members chosen to perform on the This Is It tour with Michael Jackson
• Meet the Vocalists
Go behind the scenes with the vocalists selected to sing with Michael Jackson on the This Is It Tour
• “Dancing Machine’ featurette
Choreographer Travis Payne discusses collaborating with dancing legend Michael Jackson on the choreography for his This Is It tour.
• “The Unfinished Rehearsals” featurette
Kenny Ortega and Production Designer Michael Cotton reveal two show-stopping concepts for This Is It which never made it to the big screen.
• Photo Gallery with 75 insider photos from the rehearsals
• Theatrical Trailer
• BD Exclusive: “Smooth Criminal” Vignette
The full-length vignette starring Michael Jackson which was to be shown before the performance of “Smooth Criminal” at the This Is It concert.
• BD Exclusive: “Making ‘Smooth Criminal’” Featurette
An in-depth, behind-the-scenes look at the groundbreaking production of the new “Smooth Criminal” film created for This Is It.
• BD Exclusive: “Thriller” Vignette
The full-length vignette which was to be shown during the performance of “Thriller” at the This Is It concert.
• BD Exclusive: movieIQ: connects you to access real-time information on the cast, music, trivia and more while watching the movie! Also includes the “This Is It” interactive playlist where you can bookmark your favourite songs featured in the film and email yourself a customized playlist!

I have both the DVD special edition and the blu ray. I bought the BD because of HD which looks really great:) It also has a better sound than the DVD and it has the SC and Thriller vignette but they alone aren't really worth buying it because you don't see very much more than in the movie itself. And the movieIQ stuff is actually pretty useless. science freak's list says that there is no Dancing Machine featurette on the DVD...well it is on the the second DVD I don't know why it's not listed there. So if you don't care about HD and better sound you don't have to buy the BD;)
Feel free to ask if there are more questions:)

Right now, this is the only way to see Michael in High-Definition!!!!!!!!!

And to be honest, High-Definition is best we can get of Michael now he is no longer with us!!!!!

I have both the DVD special edition and the blu ray. I bought the BD because of HD which looks really great:) It also has a better sound than the DVD and it has the SC and Thriller vignette but they alone aren't really worth buying it because you don't see very much more than in the movie itself. And the movieIQ stuff is actually pretty useless. science freak's list says that there is no Dancing Machine featurette on the DVD...well it is on the the second DVD I don't know why it's not listed there. So if you don't care about HD and better sound you don't have to buy the BD;)
Feel free to ask if there are more questions:)

Right now, this is the only way to see Michael in High-Definition!!!!!!!!!

And to be honest, High-Definition is best we can get of Michael now he is no longer with us!!!!!

Blu-ray all the way!
s

Cheers guys :) I might wait til November and put the blu-ray on my birthday list. That way i'll have the movie in HD and it will hopefully be cheaper by then too! xx

I have Michael Jackson's This Is It on Blu-ray and DVD, and the Blu-ray is by far the better of the two, both in HD resolution and also in extra features. I just love The Making of the Smooth Criminal that's exclusive to the Blu-ray, and also the Dancing Machine Featurette. The regular DVD is really a waste of money.

Back