Thriller Voted Most Groundbreaking Video of All Time

billyworld99

Proud Member
Thriller most groundbreaking video

Press Assoc.

Michael Jackson's zombie dance spectacular Thriller has been crowned the most groundbreaking video of all time.

The late king of pop's 14-minute epic - which cost an eyewatering half a million dollars in 1983, the most expensive music video ever at that point - topped a poll for MySpace UK.

Second in the list was Here It Goes Again by US act OK Go in which the band members perform a dance routine on treadmills.

The promo also inspired a TV ad for Berocca. A shortlist of the most influential and groundbreaking videos was compiled by critics and MySpace users voted on the final 20.

Thriller was directed by an American Werewolf In London filmmaker John Landis who co-wrote the screenplay with the late Jackson.

It is widely seen as taking pop promos into new areas, blending music videos with film-making.

OK Go's 2006 video - which became a viral hit - was shot in one continuous take and took 17 attempts to get it right. The film has become a phenomenal hit with 48 million views on YouTube.

Britney Spears' breakthrough hit, ... Baby One More Time - which saw the then teenage singer dancing in school uniform - finished in third position.

A-Ha's animated promo for Take On Me, propelling the Norwegian trio to worldwide stardom - was fourth.

In fifth place was Johnny Cash's poignant black and white film for Hurt - shot while he was in poor health just six months before he died from diabetes complications.

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/21/20100502...o-6323e80.html

did we even needed a contest to determine what is the greatest video of all time lol

Thriller is definitely ground breaking... Took the whole music video art form into new heights...

But as for the best, I still think it's Smooth Criminal.... :D

Thriller is definitely ground breaking... Took the whole music video art form into new heights...

But as for the best, I still think it's Smooth Criminal.... :D

Yeah, Thriller deserves its crown, without doubt.
BTW, SC is also my favourte, lol.

yep. thriller is my favorite, because, objectively speaking, it isn't about comparing MJ to himself, which would be easy to do, with such a stellar career. that vid was chosen for all the right reasons.

by the way, i was curious about one of the other choices...the video 'hurt' by Johnny Cash, is really good. it's an intentional saying of 'goodbye, i'm dying', by him. and it's truly gripping.

Thriller changed everything. Michael changed everything. What we see today in videos, in music etc has been shaped in some way by Michael Jackson. Pretty incredible really.

Again?? How many times has Thriller won this title hehe

Is amazing though. I remember seeing it for the first time. Wish I was around when it premiered!

Yeah that is the right call on that one. But SMH at Britney Spears beating out AHa. What's up with that?

Thriller changed everything. Michael changed everything. What we see today in videos, in music etc has been shaped in some way by Michael Jackson. Pretty incredible really.

:agree:

That is also why Thriller is in the U.S. national archives as a "national treasure".

Of course it is the most groundbreaking! 20+ years later and it's still one of the best and most influential video's to have ever been released.

Good job to the voters. They have good taste lol.

Jackson's Thriller Is Top Of The Pop Videos

Jackson's Thriller Is Top Of The Pop Videos

michael_jackson_tribute_019_wenn5320740.jpg

MICHAEL JACKSON's creepy THRILLER video has been voted the most influential promo in the history of pop music.

The 14-minute clip for the singer's hit 1983 track, long credited with merging music with filmmaking, scored 15.2 per cent of the votes in the poll, conducted by social networking site MySpace.com.

Thriller saw off competition from OK Go's homemade video for their song Here It Goes Again, which became a viral hit in 2006 as fans logged online to see the group dancing on treadmills.

Britney Spears' music video for her debut single ...Baby One More Time was voted third, while A-Ha's Take On Me and Johnny Cash's Hurt rounded out the top five.

The top 10 influential pop music videos are as follows:

1. Thriller - Michael Jackson
  2. Here It Goes Again - OK Go
  3. ...Baby One More Time - Britney Spears
  4. Take On Me - A-Ha
  5. Hurt - Johnny Cash
  6. Bohemian Rhapsody - Queen
  7. Around the World - Daft Punk
  8. Weapon of Choice - Fatboy Slim
  9. Sledgehammer - Peter Gabriel
  10. Sabotage - Beastie Boys.

http://www.contactmusic.com/news.nsf/story/jacksons-thriller-is-top-of-the-pop-videos_1141121

http://www.michaeljackson.com/us/news/thriller-voted-top-pop-video

WOOOOOO GO MJ!!
heard about this this morning im gonna watch thriller tonight to celebrate :D
even though we already knew it was gonna win as if it wouldnt? lol

Of course! Thriller is the video that changed everything for the music industry.

Always great to hear. No vid will EVER top thriller, not even other MJ vids. I'm a die hard Thriller fan.

You could really put most of MJ's videos in the top 10 but that wouldn't be fair on any of the other artists there

No video can top Thriller you say? Sorry but Smooth Criminal really can't agree with you

IM_SORRY_BUT_GUN_SHOT_.jpg

I became his fan after watching Thriller like 15 years ago.

It was so amazing. I didn't know what the lyrics mean but he could deliver them so

effectively. Man! The ending still gives me goosebumps! As a grown woman, I love

the way he eats popcorn cuz' it's TOO sexy

Back