'Thriller' theme for Derry's Halloween celebrations

seany

Proud Member
:punk:'Thriller' theme for Derry's Halloween celebrations

Published Date: 08 October 2008
By Staff reporter

Michael Jackson's musical masterpiece Thriller is the inspiration behind this year's Halloween presentation from the Greater Shantallow and Galliagh areas of the city, complete with a spectacular 30ft high Michael Jackson puppet!

Once again Greater Shantallow Community Arts is leading the way in extending as wide an invitation as possible to local schools, community groups and interested individuals who would like to get involved in this year’s Banks of the Foyle Halloween Festival Carnival Parade to come along and join in the fun.

Speaking ahead of the launch of a series of carnival skills workshops, Oliver Green, Manager of Greater Shantallow Community Arts, said this year the young people from the area decided upon the ‘Thriller’ theme as the centre piece for their Halloween parade.

“To facilitate this we will be holding a series of carnival skills, costume and dance workshops over the coming weeks in preparation of Derry biggest night of the year,” Mr Green told ‘FN’. The Workshops begin tomorrow, Thursday, October 9, from 6pm-8pm in the 4-Block in Bloomfield and will continue on every Thursday and Saturday until the big night.

“Already we have been working in partnership with the Northwest Carnival Initiative and the Beat from Belfast in the production of a 30ft high iconic Michael Jackson puppet. The costume and dance workshops that begin this week will be an opportunity for everyone interested to get into the theme and dance routines that we’re hoping to put on display in the carnival parade as part of Ireland’s biggest and best Halloween celebrations.”

Mr Green said: “Everyone is welcome to come along to the workshops. Admission is free and we can guarantee participants a crazy and creative time.

“Greater Shantallow Community Arts are extremely grateful to the Northern Ireland Arts Council, the Northwest Carnival Initiative and to Derry City Council for their support. “For further information contact Donna at: +44 2871 357443 or email: info@gscaderry.com

http://www.derryjournal.com/journal/39Thriller39-theme-for-Derry39s-Halloween.4565878.jp

I suggest that we all send our congrats and praise to the maker of the event by phone or email above. Some moral support can be really boosting for organisers of such event, especially if they realise it's come from around the world. x

shanty and galliagh are the the last place i'd of excpected to see any form of mj celebration in this city! :L

Cool, from Derry myself so might take a wee trip down on Halloween to see what it's like, get a few photo's and video's to show you all. My uncle is an artist within that area who work's with the community so he could have a hand in this.

:punk:'Thriller' theme for Derry's Halloween celebrations

Published Date: 08 October 2008
By Staff reporter

with a spectacular 30ft high Michael Jackson puppet!

Wow! Can't wait to see pictures...
Yep, they will get an e-mail from Germany.

Cool, from Derry myself so might take a wee trip down on Halloween to see what it's like, get a few photo's and video's to show you all. My uncle is an artist within that area who work's with the community so he could have a hand in this.

hahaha guest appearances from JD and JR!

Back