Thriller short film surpasses a billion views on YouTube

Galactus123

Proud Member
Donations
$18.00

"Just in time for spooky season, Michael Jackson’s iconic 1983 music video for “Thriller” has surpassed one billion YouTube views

The milestone marks the King of Pop’s fourth visual to join the Billion Views Club after “Beat It,” “Billie Jean,” and “They Don’t Care About Us.” Directed by John Landis and boasting a voiceover from Vincent Price, the 13-minute clip aired on MTV in December 1983."

Slightly off-topic, I guess, but it seems like a nice moment to remember this bit of the story.

@MarinaaIvanova
"in 1984, the video was inducted into the Library of Congress's National Film Registry—the first music video to receive that honor—for being "culturally, historically, or aesthetically" significant ...”

EDIT - The Thriller video was added to the Library of Congress in 2007.

Last edited:
The mix on the video the Estate posted sounds different. Is that the IMAX version that was released in 2018? Sounds so bad, like why does the kick sound slightly off-beat??? 😭

Slightly off-topic, I guess, but it seems like a nice moment to remember this bit of the story.

@MarinaaIvanova
"in 1984, the video was inducted into the Library of Congress's National Film Registry—the first music video to receive that honor—for being "culturally, historically, or aesthetically" significant ...”

And their post is slightly off in their timing by 25 years. I thought it was inducted in 2009 not 1984?

I watched the video for the 3rd time this year to celebrate the milestone. I actually get goosebumps watching it because it is so good. Sometimes I take the video for granted but it doesn’t deserve that. It needs to be watched with jaws wide open!

And their post is slightly off in their timing by 25 years. I thought it was inducted in 2009 not 1984?
Thank you! You're right and I completely missed it. Serves me right for jumping back and forth between this thread and another thread.

2007 was the year. :)

I posted this in 2022. Re-posting for fun and for accuracy!

Thriller's official entry into the Library of Congress National Registry. Here are the bits I think are most relevant:

"What our president said to the nation, what the nation said to the universe, and a cornucopia of musical milestones highlight the major themes of the 2007 National Recording Registry. Librarian of Congress James H. Billington today named 25 additions to the National Recording Registry of the Library of Congress as part of its efforts to preserve the nation’s aural history. Under the terms of the National Recording Preservation Act of 2000, the Librarian, with advice from the Library’s National Recording Preservation Board (NRPB), annually selects 25 recordings that are "culturally, historically, or aesthetically significant" to preserve for all time. Registry recordings must be at least 10 years old. The selections for 2007 bring the total number of recordings in the registry to 250 ... Among the selections are Harry S. Truman’s legendary address to the Democratic National Convention in 1948; a collection of more than 1,000 radio broadcast recordings by Ronald Reagan before his election to the White House; the first trans-Atlantic radio broadcast in 1925; Michael Jackson’s "Thriller," the best-selling album of all time, produced by the legendary Quincy Jones ... "

"25. "Thriller," Michael Jackson (1982) Michael Jackson’s second album with legendary producer Quincy Jones attained stratospheric national and international success. Featuring outstanding performances by Paul McCartney on "The Girl is Mine" and a metallic Eddie Van Halen guitar lead on "Beat It," the album’s influence on the record industry and subsequent popular music is immeasurable. The album also includes the strong disco-inflected "Billie Jean" and the compelling title track "Thriller," featuring an eerie voice-over by Vincent Price. Jackson’s keen pop sensibilities, performances by a wide range of talented musicians and Quincy Jones’ expert production all contributed to making "Thriller" the best-selling album of all time."

Thank you! You're right and I completely missed it. Serves me right for jumping back and forth between this thread and another thread.

2007 was the year. :)

Yes that's the correct date. Should've known that MJ was still alive when that happened

Back