Thriller re-entered Billboard

I'm glad it's charting again. I think it usually re-enters the chart around Halloween, which is great. Its longevity is amazing, it's not often you see a 30 year old album on the charts.

Thriller the song is doing nicely too:
You can tell that Halloween is just around the corner. A crispness in the air? Leaves starting to fall? Bags of candy in every store? Sure, but also Michael Jackson's "Thriller" re-enters Hot Digital Songs. The song has been a Halloween perennial every year since 1983. The song sold 10K this week, bringing its total to 3,136,000.
source

You can only see the top 40 of the Hot Digital Songs chart on Billboard's site, and I don't see Thriller there. But it'll probably increase nearer Halloween. It's now discounted on iTunes, so let's hope it sells well! It would be nice to see it on the charts again!

That's great!

Though I wish Ghosts would get the same love around Halloweens. But of course, that works more as a short movie than a song (as it has three songs), so I think the Estate should release it on DVD/Blue-ray complete with the Making of (same for Thriller) for it to be (re)discovered.

PS: I realized Thriller did not re-enter only this week. It was Nr 188 last week. Hopefully it will climb even higher with Halloween approaching.

Though I wish Ghosts would get the same love around Halloweens. But of course, that works more as a short movie than a song (as it has three songs), so I think the Estate should release it on DVD/Blue-ray complete with the Making of (same for Thriller) for it to be (re)discovered.
I love that idea! Ghosts is so great and so underrated, the general public doesn't even know it exists which is a huge shame. A DVD/blu-ray with Ghosts and Thriller would be amazing! I think it would sell quite nicely, since fans would love to have Ghosts on dvd/blu-ray, and casual listeners might pick up a copy because of Thriller. And then they'd discover Ghosts too, which would be fantastic!

I love that idea! Ghosts is so great and so underrated, the general public doesn't even know it exists which is a huge shame. A DVD/blu-ray with Ghosts and Thriller would be amazing! I think it would sell quite nicely, since fans would love to have Ghosts on dvd/blu-ray, and casual listeners might pick up a copy because of Thriller. And then they'd discover Ghosts too, which would be fantastic!

Yes. Sadly I don't think it would sell well among casual listeners if it'd be only Ghosts (even though I personally rate it higher artistically than Thriller), but in a boxset with Thriller it could get casual listeners buy it as well. But then it comes the question of price. With both being in a boxset would the price still be reasonable for casual listeners to buy? Or would it be better if they released Ghosts just as a low-key fan release, without much fanfare and marketing costs, just for fans and Thriller would get a more hyped release (and on a cheaper price than as if it was together with Ghosts)? That's something marketing experts have to figure out, I guess, but the bottom line is: it'd be high time if Ghosts would get a proper, high-quality DVD/Blue-ray release at last!

Very good news :girl_pride:
Not only because of Halloween, but maybe new fans who got Bad 25 bought also Thriller :huggy:

Re: Ghosts and why it wasnt a 2nd Thriller (in terms of popularity among the public)

Unfortunately i think Ghosts "suffers" from a row of things...
-its too long
-Michaels screaming is just way too much (annoys the hell out of me)
-it has too much of a modern Disney childrens/family type of movie (which hardly becomes classic with adults)
-the music is not strong enough... ("Is It Scary" is an underrated masterpiece but the short (later added) part of it doesnt save the film)
-the whole film was not part of a super mega hype as the Thriller album
-lack of promotion in general

If it had been centered around ONE great dance smash hit single (like TDCAU)
chances to become a classic would have been much better.

But anyway, other than that its a great flick for fans... great effects, great dance, great Michael.
But sometimes that just isn't enough.

Last edited:
That's great news :wub: Thriller is definitely a Halloween classic so I'm sure it'll escalate on the chart as the date approaches :D happy about BAD 25 too. Just got mine through the mail today, took forever but can't complain lol! it's awesome and the I love the t-shirt too :heart:

Re: Ghosts and why it wasnt a 2nd Thriller (in terms of popularity among the public)

-its too long
-it has too much of a modern Disney childrens/family type of movie (which hardly becomes classic with adults)
-the music is not strong enough... ("Is It Scary" is an underrated masterpiece but the short (later added) part of it doesnt save the film)

But anyway, other than that its a great flick for fans... great effects, great dance, great Michael.

You forgot that Ghosts is actually a lot deeper than Thriller in terms of what it has to say. I think that's a plus and a minus at the same time. A plus in artistic value, but a minus in marketability.

You forgot that Ghosts is actually a lot deeper than Thriller in terms of what it has to say. I think that's a plus and a minus at the same time.

True, its a plus for anyone able to look that deep... but the general public generally isn't, i think. Especially when it comes to Michael.

I like Ghost better than Thriller. It's definitely one of the most underrated masterpiece.

-its too long

Completely agree. This is awesome, though.

Thriller the song is climbing up the iTunes chart in several countries:

Thriller
#38 Ireland
#71 United Kingdom
#77 Canada
#79 United States
#129 Mexico
#170 Canada
#207 Australia
#215 Sweden
#305 Spain
#328 Belgium
#347 Argentina
#350 Austria
#375 Norway
#379 Peru

Haha, that's great. Who else can do that, or who else will do that in the future?

Thriller being in the charts so long after its release is amazing. Michael's music never grows old

Back