Thriller pulls ahead of Eagles on Soundscan

bobmoo79

Proud Member
blog_hdr_chartwatch.jpg

Week Ending Aug. 16, 2009: King Of Country Boots King Of Pop

Michael Jackson's Number Ones sold 80,000 copies this week and would have slipped from #1 to #2 if catalog albums were eligible to compete on The Billboard 200. It is now just 23,000 copies behind Taylor Swift's Fearless as the best-selling album of 2009. The Essential Michael Jackson sold 43,000 copies and would have dipped from #3 to #5. Thriller sold 34,000 and would have dropped from #4 to #13. This marks the first time since he died that Jackson hasn't had three of the week's top five best-selling albums in the U.S. But this is the eighth straight week that he has had two of the five best-sellers, still a remarkable achievement.

Thriller this week pulls ahead of the Eagles' Their Greatest Hits 1971-1975 on Nielsen/SoundScan's recap of the best-selling albums in its history. Thriller has sold 5,366,000 copies since May 25, 1991, compared to 5,356,000 for the Eagles' compilation. The Recording Industry Assn. of America, which goes back much further than 1991, continues to list the Eagles' album as its all-time best-seller, at 29 million, with Thriller a beat behind at 28 million. Expect movement there soon.

The Essential Michael Jackson is #1 in the U.K. for the seventh straight week. This is the longest run on top in that country since Leona Lewis' Spirit logged a total of eight weeks at #1 from November 2007 to November 2008.

http://new.music.yahoo.com/blogs/chart_watch/41000/week-ending-aug-16-2009-king-of-country-boots-king-of-pop/

I'm going out shopping this weekend, I think I'll pick up another copy. :wink:

No disrespect to The Eagles, but I don't think I've ever heard one of their songs and nor can I name or recognize any of their band members. Once again Thriller is hailed although I do think it overshadows Michael's other works.

i lurve thriller! one of my all-time favorite albums. wish i could hear the full length demo of starlight/thriller though. its so tantalizing only hear that little bit!

im playing the demo for billie jean - its so funky! love hearing michael in the studio.

No disrespect to The Eagles, but I don't think I've ever heard one of their songs and nor can I name or recognize any of their band members. Once again Thriller is hailed although I do think it overshadows Michael's other works.

OMG u read my mind.. I know only one Eagles song and that is only bcuz some other group called Brownstone remade it. Every single bandmember from the Eagles could walk up to me rt now and I would think they are just a group of old dudes coming to ask me where the closest bar or Home Depot may be. Now MJ couldn't walk out his front door with out the birds in the air knowing how famous he was/is.....

In my heart I still think Thriller sold more.

OMG u read my mind.. I know only one Eagles song and that is only bcuz some other group called Brownstone remade it. Every single bandmember from the Eagles could walk up to me rt now and I would think they are just a group of old dudes coming to ask me where the closest bar or Home Depot may be. Now MJ couldn't walk out his front door with out the birds in the air knowing how famous he was/is.....

In my heart I still think Thriller sold more.

It has sold more. But don't expect them to report it.
I wouldn't be surprised if Thriller was closer to the 30 million mark, nevermind 29.

It's just in the US that the Eagles are popular, in Europe, we haven't really heard of them (maybe we've heard a song of theirs but don't really attach it to a name). Globally, Thriller has sold waaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy(etc) more.
Also, YAY for finally beating them birdies. :D

does this mean thriller is officialy at nr 1. now and eagles on nr 2 as the biggest selling album of all time?

confused.

does this mean thriller is officialy at nr 1. now and eagles on nr 2 as the biggest selling album of all time?

confused.

Worldwide it has been No.1 for years but in the US the Eagles are still OFFICIALLY the best selling album at 29x platinum.

However, Thriller's US certification was last updated last year at 28x platinum and I wouldn't be surprised if it had now equalled Eagles Greatest Hits.I'm sure Sony will get this updated soon.

Worldwide Thriller 25 sold almost 2.5 million copies last year - the 16th best selling album worldwide last year - and Thriller combined with Thriller 25 has sold more than 2million this year (so far).

^^thank you :)
I've always been confused about these 2 albums because all I hear is thriller IS the biggest selling album but then there's always someone mentioning "nooo you see, EAGLES is actually "the one-biggest selling album".

The only Eagles song I know is "Hotel California" and I guess that's the only song most people know from the top of their head.

In general I don't get the US' music taste. Country is huge (Garth Brooks etc) while in the rest of the world it's nothing that big.

MJ has outsold the Eagles with any album worldwide, it's just the US where they claim it's still bigger then Thriller :(

no disrespect to the eagles but theyre an older generation love generally. thriller is the album of our generation.

Unforunately, the media outside the US often take their information from US websites and report that Thriller is the second best selling album worldwide behind the Eagles. This just isn't true so don't believe it. BUT since Mike's death I have never heard this said in the UK, which is a good change. They finally seem to be getting their facts straight on a few things.
Thriller is the world's best selling album by a very large, and in the last couple of years should have extended that lead by 5million copies (by the end of this year), which is a huge amount these days! Taking a realistic estimate of 65 - 70million copies sold (104million is false) I would think that Mike is leading the Eagles by at least 10 - 15million copies!

no disrespect to the eagles but theyre an older generation love generally. thriller is the album of our generation.

Depends which generation you're talking about.
I'm 29 and people my age would say thriller is not even our generation because we were too young when it was released to really be involved in it. BAD, Dangerous or HIStory (most likely HIStory) would be my generation's album as I was 15 when it was released.

I would think that Mike is leading the Eagles by at least 10 - 15million copies!

I have to address this sentence.

Well the thing that most people get confused about is the second biggest selling album of all time and what it sold.

The second biggest is pink Floyd dark side of the moon and it sold 42 million. In contrast to what wiki says, NO albums other than Thriller sold over 43 million copies.

And the sales data proves this.

I have to address this sentence.

Well the thing that most people get confused about is the second biggest selling album of all time and what it sold.

The second biggest is pink Floyd dark side of the moon and it sold 42 million. In contrast to what wiki says, NO albums other than Thriller sold over 43 million copies.

And the sales data proves this.

Very well said :flowers:

Perhaps I didn't make myself very clear.
I was talking about worldwide sales of Thriller and Eagles Greatest Hits only and explaining why Hits had not sold more than Thriller.
I frequent several chart forums and often (i.e atl east once a week) post chart sales data here and I was already aware that the hits album is not the 2nd best selling album worldwide.

Oh and by the way. I would NEVER use wikipedia as a reference for anything and have never suggested that I have.

Last edited:
LOL, I've never gotten that whole Eagles #1 thing. I mean, they had some great songs, yes, but so did so many other bands in their time period (and before and since). Why THAT album has been the biggest selling in the US is just... confusing. Again, not saying the Eagles suck or anything, but deep down inside I always had a suspicion that the folks handling the charts are hardcore Eagles fans and just can't stand letting MJ beat them, lol. If anything would be bigger than Thriller (and that's hard to comprehend to begin with) you'd think it would end up being something like Pink Floyd's "Dark Side of the Moon". I've known way more people professing to love Floyd than the Eagles. I guess I will never understand this. I just can't wait until Thriller is officially #1 of all time in the US. Then my country will start to make a tiny bit of sense (at least in this way, lolol)

Huh?
Just because you don't know who the Eagles are doesn't mean they don't deserve to have the no. 1 selling album. I don't get what you're trying to say?
Obviously millions of people know who they are and like their music. I know plenty of their songs. I'm not just addressing you, but the others in this thread who feel the need to go all "The Eagles who?" for no reason.
?

Great news for Thriller by the way. Any record Michael's breaking is a super thing.

The only song known in Europe from the Eagles is Hotel California, thats all!

Globally the Eagles are unknown...

Unforunately, the media outside the US often take their information from US websites and report that Thriller is the second best selling album worldwide behind the Eagles. This just isn't true so don't believe it. BUT since Mike's death I have never heard this said in the UK, which is a good change. They finally seem to be getting their facts straight on a few things.
Thriller is the world's best selling album by a very large, and in the last couple of years should have extended that lead by 5million copies (by the end of this year), which is a huge amount these days! Taking a realistic estimate of 65 - 70million copies sold (104million is false) I would think that Mike is leading the Eagles by at least 10 - 15million copies!

Exactly, and that sucks... :puke::puke::puke::doh:

Last edited:
The only song known in Europe from the Eagles is Hotel California, thats all!

Globally the Eagles are unknown...

That is incredibly untrue.
I'm European and the Eagles are far from unknown in my country.
Not that any of this matters. Go Michael!

Back