Thriller 40 album sales

Agney Shaji

Proud Member
Does anyone know how many copies did Thriller 40 sell ? Not the orginal album but the reissue that was released in 2022.

not surprising when you look at the bonus tracks. That's what happens when you don't care about the fans.

not surprising when you look at the bonus tracks. That's what happens when you don't care about the fans.
I liked Who do you know from the bonus tracks but that's it and most of them were already released in previous albums when MJ was alive.

the album wasn’t promoted that well. neither was the documentary. unfortunately we were still experiencing the aftermath where there was hesitation around michael’s name.. the interesting thing is that the original 9 track album continues to be most successful in the series, even in streaming.

I think most of the songs from those sessions have already leaked. ‘hot street’ and ‘nite line’ were surprising omissions for me. then again, we must consider what the estate has access to, and the rights for. sound quality is also a major factor, which fans complained about. these are 40 year old demos/outtakes. I honestly wasn’t expecting the kind of polish that made the final cuts. I remember the during the release campaign, where they would slowly reveal which song was on the track list. it was fun to see people guess incorrectly. there were a handful of songs that I had never heard before. it’s the purity in michael’s voice, which I believe was at its peak, that made those songs. though it’s interesting to hear his process, I rarely listen to the demos/outtakes. I don’t think they’re essential at all.

They could have done better than Thriller25, the bonus tracks are weak and adding 4 songs that are on other albums is poor but that's all that makes the estate

I liked Who do you know from the bonus tracks but that's it and most of them were already released in previous albums when MJ was alive.
Who Do You Know sounds timeless and could have been released on any of his later albums.
The quality of BTM, on the other hand, is outrageous
I think that in the future Hot Street and Nitline will get an AI treatment that will take them to a new level. These songs undoubtedly deserve to be released in the best possible quality.

Last edited:
I consider Thriller 40 a success. It was a turn in better times after Leaving Neverland. Many positive press -reports, also on radio and television.
It did great in the charts and brought Thriller back in BB 200. Thriller never leaved the charts since then.

I consider Thriller 40 a success. It was a turn in better times after Leaving Neverland. Many positive press -reports, also on radio and television.
It did great in the charts and brought Thriller back in BB 200. Thriller never leaved the charts since then.
Sure I can agree it was a success given the circumstances but they could have done something to promote it better. I wanted to know how many copies it sold

Thriller 40 for sure was a highlight since LN aired. The whole build up was fun and like @Annita says Thriller got very high on the billboard charts again for a while. It was never going to reach the Thriller 25 levels of success, each followup will see less and less success probably.
2025 is going to be on a whole other level though. The new fans won’t believe what is coming in terms of media attention and hype. I hope you will all enjoy it cause it will likely be the last time MJ’s name will shine. This is the biggest project involving Michael since Invincible and the MSG concerts.

Thriller 40 for sure was a highlight since LN aired. The whole build up was fun and like @Annita says Thriller got very high on the billboard charts again for a while. It was never going to reach the Thriller 25 levels of success, each followup will see less and less success probably.
2025 is going to be on a whole other level though. The new fans won’t believe what is coming in terms of media attention and hype. I hope you will all enjoy it cause it will likely be the last time MJ’s name will shine. This is the biggest project involving Michael since Invincible and the MSG concerts.

I think that depend of the promo, the estates and Sony were apparently in conflict about this album, so there are a strong lack of promo in comparaison to Thriller 25th, there are another example like that with The essential in comparaison the Ultimates Collection, the later despite to have been released before (in 2004 vs 2005), to have various demo, unreleased tracks have sold lot less than the essential, who was just a compilation with no new material, and that just because a far more important promotion.

Another elements who could have hurted the sales (despite that they are still great), it's the shameful campaign of some fans against this album, I don't understand this kind of mentality, but it was everywhere.

About the quality I strongly disagree with lot members here, we have rarely new songs or demo and this album has 6 unrealed tracks from this time, the peak moment of Michael career, they were amazing, and to have Behind the Mask demo was absolutely amazing after the horrible remix, I think the opinions have imo to do if these fans like or not Thriller album or are more fans of his albums since Bad.

Back