Thoughts on I Want You by Marvin Gay

helena22

Proud Member
For me, one of winter-themed songs&one of my favorite Marvin Gaye songs. Dunno why it makes me think of winter, but that's the way the song tells me to feel. The whole song got me feeling like I'm riding this train, night train and the last one on the day, and passing thorugh small, poor, yet peaceful country towns in my country on a bitterly cold winter night and it's snowing as I look out my window. Since the song is about wanting someone so bad in a sexual way and emotional way, it might be that I'm riding the train and going somewhere for peace on my mind cuz I've just broken up with someone, but I'm still thinkin about him and kinda reminiscing on the good ol' days like, when he was so passionate the same way Marvin is singing and yearning for that someone.

I know some of y'all might say "WTF" at my interpretation and imagination:D but that's how I honestly feel about the song.

If you have any kind of vivid pictures or passing thoughts and feelings about the song, let's share.

^ :lol: For real tho!

I love mostly everything Marvin Gaye has made, this one is high on the list.
It takes me back to that day........

Did someone call me? :lol:

Well I'm speechless when it comes to this song, it is very haunting. Marvin used the words written by Leon Ware and Arthur Ross and made them his biographical centerpiece. The entire "I Want You" album is incredible also.

One of those Marvin tracks I always seem to get sentimental of. He really gets me everytime with those lyrics and the feel he puts behind every word.. Weird how that track always gets me sad, haha..

Did someone call me? :lol:

Well I'm speechless when it comes to this song, it is very haunting. Marvin used the words written by Leon Ware and Arthur Ross and made them his biographical centerpiece. The entire "I Want You" album is incredible also.
It's a great honor to have you here Marvin:clapping:

:lol: didn't mean to call you Timmy but it's true I was really wondering what you would write.

Man...Marvin, you know, yeah, Nighty, I feel ya. His voice just gets me. Gives me a strong feeling that there might be a sad love story behind those lyrics. It takes a lot more than a state of being horny to do that song justice. You gots to go through some pain and heartache in your real life and then should sing.

I remember Madonna remade this. I wonder what made her decide to cover it. I know she said when she 1st came out that Marvin was one of her idols, but I would figure she'd choose a more poppy 60s era tune to sing. El Debarge with Fourplay covered "After The Dance" from the same album.

Its actually my favorite Marvin Gaye track of ALL time. I have a tape of the entire motown 25 show and straight after Michael's set a group of contemporary dancers do a choerographed peice on Marvin's I WANT YOU. It was actually where I first heard it.

It's a great honor to have you here Marvin:clapping:

:lol: didn't mean to call you Timmy but it's true I was really wondering what you would write.

Man...Marvin, you know, yeah, Nighty, I feel ya. His voice just gets me. Gives me a strong feeling that there might be a sad love story behind those lyrics. It takes a lot more than a state of being horny to do that song justice. You gots to go through some pain and heartache in your real life and then should sing.

I've been thinking of calling myself JAMAAL (after my presumed, supposed-to-be middle name, it's Jamal now, lol). But I don't mind "Timmy" because that's me. ;)

But yeah that song has a depressive element to it. Marvin's desperate for the girl to love him as much as he loves her.

"A one-way love is such a fantasy..."

love the song and the album. timeless for me and so smooth. the groove and overall vibe hit home.

I've been thinking of calling myself JAMAAL (after my presumed, supposed-to-be middle name, it's Jamal now, lol). But I don't mind "Timmy" because that's me. ;)

But yeah that song has a depressive element to it. Marvin's desperate for the girl to love him as much as he loves her.

"A one-way love is such a fantasy..."
I think you misunderstood me:D. When I said "didn't mean to call you Timmy", I was just saying your name and meant I didn't make this thread to call you. Anyway, Timmy is the only name that I knew, now I know another name. Jamaal sounds nice. Sounds Kinda African/Islam name, like Musiq Soulchild's real name "Taalib" and Talib Quali (sp?), Aaliyah, etc. Double AAs shows us the names don't originate from Anglo-Saxon, English culture.

From now on, I'll call you either Timmy or Jama(a)l and it depends on...I don't know-lol

Yeah that's why he keeps saying "but I want you to want me too~" Man, one-way love is painful:(

I see you maxxx:)

I think you misunderstood me:D. When I said "didn't mean to call you Timmy", I was just saying your name and meant I didn't make this thread to call you. Anyway, Timmy is the only name that I knew, now I know another name. Jamaal sounds nice. Sounds Kinda African/Islam name, like Musiq Soulchild's real name "Taalib" and Talib Quali (sp?), Aaliyah, etc. Double AAs shows us the names don't originate from Anglo-Saxon, English culture.

From now on, I'll call you either Timmy or Jama(a)l and it depends on...I don't know-lol

Yeah that's why he keeps saying "but I want you to want me too~" Man, one-way love is painful:(

I see you maxxx:)

OH! :lol: I gotcha now. ^_^

it's my favorite Marvin Gaye song...yes it's very haunting

For me, one of winter-themed songs&one of my favorite Marvin Gaye songs. Dunno why it makes me think of winter, but that's the way the song tells me to feel. The whole song got me feeling like I'm riding this train, night train and the last one on the day, and passing thorugh small, poor, yet peaceful country towns in my country on a bitterly cold winter night and it's snowing as I look out my window. Since the song is about wanting someone so bad in a sexual way and emotional way, it might be that I'm riding the train and going somewhere for peace on my mind cuz I've just broken up with someone, but I'm still thinkin about him and kinda reminiscing on the good ol' days like, when he was so passionate the same way Marvin is singing and yearning for that someone.

I know some of y'all might say "WTF" at my interpretation and imagination:D but that's how I honestly feel about the song.

If you have any kind of vivid pictures or passing thoughts and feelings about the song, let's share.

LOL, well I LOVE your imagination when you think of the song. Not weird at all, imo. Perhaps it has something to do with when you first heard the song or got really attached to it. Was it in the winter holiday months perhaps?

As for me, it's definitely a favorite. If you've ever seen Tyler Perry's "Why Did I Get Married", you may remember the scene where Jill Scot's character is eyeballing the sheriff while folding clothes or something like that. And they cut to her p.o.v and we see a slow-mo view of his body. Well in that part they are playing "I Want You", so I guess that's what I mostly think of, lol! Now I'm kinda stuck with that image in my head of that sheriff. He was a pretty good lookin dude if I say so myself.

i love the song and the whole album is one of those i never get bored with.

Back