This Weekend News Feb 19 - 21

mariemarie

Guests
Wishing everyone a great weekend. Make it peaceful =)

Indians love a giant Michael Jackson statue

India_2010_02_17_Jackson.jpg

The King of Pop was larger than life. Now he's also granite. Next stop Neverland Ranch?
BANGALORE, India — Indians have a thing for statues.
We are also obsessive about giant-sized cutouts and massive digital posters of our favorite movie stars and politicians. Such larger-than-life street art is part of the urban visual scenery and skyline in many Indian cities.

Now one Indian is trying to take his fanatical hero-worship to gargantuan levels. R. Chandrasekaran, a granite monument exporter who runs RC Golden Granites in the eastern Indian city of Chennai, has commissioned and completed a mammoth statue of pop king Michael Jackson.

More http://www.globalpost.com/dispatch/india/100217/india-michael-jackson

Beyonce, Michael Jackson And Eagles Were The Most RIAA-Certified Of The ’00s

michael-jackson-20050820-63679.jpg

Beyonce-RIAA.jpg

The Recording Industry Association Of America unveiled its list of the top Gold (500,000 copies sold) and Platinum (1 million) awarded albums and songs for the previous decade yesterday, and—no surprise here—Beyonce was the leading lady of the bunch with 64 certifications to her name. And, hey—remember when you bought *NSYNC’s No Strings Attached waaaaay back in 2000? You can come clean now, because it turns out you weren’t the only one.

For a singer who only put out one studio album during the first decade of the new millennium (Invincible, 2001), Michael Jackson was still able to nab the most RIAA awards for a male solo artist. Ditto for most-certified group, the Eagles, whose 2007 LP Long Road Out Of Eden was the band’s first studio album in 22 years.

And don’t think the irony of Kanye West and Taylor Swift garnering the most solo male and solo female certifications for digital songs, respectively, has escaped us. (Sorry, Kanye—Taylor sold six million more, though.)

Below is the full list of the Top Gold And Platinum Award Winners for the previous decade. Note: The RIAA notes that only music released, as well as certifications granted, from 2000 to 2009 are included. In other words, even though the Black Eyed Peas were at the top of iTunes’ Most-Downloaded Songs Of All Time list that was published last week, that one included digital sales from 2010, as well.

Most total certifications (album, digital, master ringtone, and music video certifications)
GROUP: Eagles – 48
MALE SOLO ARTIST: Michael Jackson – 44
FEMALE SOLO ARTIST: Beyonce – 64

Most album certifications
GROUP: Nickelback – 25
MALE SOLO ARTIST: George Strait – 29
FEMALE SOLO ARTIST: Britney Spears – 23

Most digital song certifications
GROUP: Linkin Park – 13
MALE SOLO ARTIST: Kanye West – 19
FEMALE SOLO ARTIST: Taylor Swift – 25

Most master ringtone certifications
MALE SOLO ARTIST: T.I. – 15
FEMALE SOLO ARTIST: Beyonce – 19

Highest certified album
GROUP: *NSYNC’s No Strings Attached and OutKast’s Speakerboxxx/The Love Below – 11x Platinum
MALE SOLO ARTIST: Usher’s Confessions – 10x Platinum
FEMALE SOLO ARTIST: Shania Twain’s Up! – 11x Platinum

Highest certified digital song
GROUP: Coldplay’s “Viva La Vida” and The Fray’s “How to Save a Life” – 3x multi-Platinum
MALE SOLO ARTIST: Flo Rida’s “Low” – 5x multi-Platinum
FEMALE SOLO ARTIST: Lady Gaga’s “Just Dance” and Taylor Swift’s “Love Story” – 4x multi-Platinum

Highest certified master ringtone
GROUP: D4L’s “Laffy Taffy,” Hinder’s “Lips of an Angel” and Shop Boyz’ “Party Like a Rockstar” –3x multi-Platinum
MALE SOLO ARTIST: Lil Wayne’s “Lollipop” – 5x multi-Platinum
FEMALE SOLO ARTIST: Beyonce’s “Irreplaceable” – 3x multi-Platinum

http://idolator.com/5414142/beyonce...agles-were-the-most-riaa-certified-of-the-00s

Today in
Michael Jackson History

1990 - Janet Jackson's video "Rhythm Nation 1814" was certified Gold and double Platinum by the RIAA.

1996 - London police arrested singer Jarvis Cocker (Pulp) for allegedly injuring several children that were performing with Michael Jackson at the Brit Awards. Cocker said that his disruption was "a form of protest at the way Michael Jackson sees himself as some Christ-like figure with the power of healing."

1997 - It was reported that Michael Jackson would sell exclusive pictures of his infant and the money might be donated to charity.

Earth-Song-michael-jackson-music-videos-9403251-464-619.jpg

We Are the World held off US top spot

We Are the World held off US top spot
Artists for Haiti
A host of stars participated in the charity song

Haiti charity single We Are The World 25 has failed to hit the top spot in the US Billboard Hot 100 chart.

The re-make of the 1985 song, featuring an impressive array of stars including Kanye West, Barbra Streisand and Celine Dion was held off by Ke$ha's Tik Tok.

It is the ninth consecutive week the 22-year-old singer has topped the chart with her debut single.

Meanwhile, Ke$ha's second single Blah Blah Blah, rose up the Billboard Hot 100 from 22 to 11.

A new entry in the top 50 is from 62-year-old American Idol hopeful General Larry Platt, with his original quirky song, Pants on the Ground.

The song has became an internet sensation and was downloaded 65,000 times in its first week.

In the album chart, Sade's first album for 10 years, Solider of Love, entered at number one with 502,000 copies sold.

It is the second US number one album for the group - its first, Promise, spent two weeks at the top of the Billboard 200 in 1986.

Tv Alert-Famous Crime Scenes

the last 2 weeks vh1 has been airring a new mini series called famous crime scenes. so far they only covered Tupac and Anna Nicole. Next week they will be covering Michael. i dont know if i will watch it bc it just seems to hard and to upsetting to watch. just though i would pass it along to anyone who might be interested.

Re: Tv Alert-Famous Crime Scenes

Thanks for the notice. I usually watch these kind of things but I'm not sure if I will be able to on Michael. I might check it out but it will be really hard...

It will be interesting to see from which angle they come at it with. It more than likely wont be accurate but thats just MO

^^ I think some parts would be exaggerated. :mad: I just hope they don't put that missing nose bull on there or I am so shutting off the tv!

http://lifestyle.inquirer.net/sunda...Fashion-house-pays-tribute-to-Michael-Jackson

Fashion house pays tribute to Michael Jackson

THOUGH HIS PERSONAL LIFE WAS greatly surrounded with controversy for years, Michael Jackson will always be known as the King of Pop. He was able to set himself apart not only as a talented [COLOR=blue !important][COLOR=blue !important]musical [COLOR=blue !important]artist[/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR] but also as a fashion icon.

Like Jackson, who brought the world of [COLOR=blue !important][COLOR=blue !important]music[/COLOR][/COLOR] countless hits, Stella Luna brings us a bevy of “hit shoes.”

What sets this series apart from other collections inspired by the King of Pop is that it is “designed as homage to the great performer, not necessarily a dissection of photographic imagery and wardrobe references, but a celebration of an idol from deep-rooted personal admiration and viewpoint,” says Stephen Chi, creative [COLOR=blue !important][COLOR=blue !important]director[/COLOR][/COLOR] of Stella Luna Fashion Inc.

The series, aptly titled “Long Live The King,” is not only influenced by Jackson’s unique style or music, but also “the man himself.”

“Many performers follow fashion rather than create it, but he was self-styled. This individuality and uniqueness is a thread that weaves through the whole Stella Luna canvas, and is the soul of the collection.”

Clearly, this series veers away from a completely literal take on MJ’s style, but it is rather Stella Luna’s own interpretation of the persona that is the King of Pop. Of Stella Luna’s trademark functionality, craftsmanship and unique aesthetic, Chi says: “The Stella Luna vision and belief in beauty is what binds the collection and is embedded in the DNA of every style.”

For this series, “contrast is a key feature,” says Chi. A tougher aesthetic is “mixed with couture-like beauty” done in a palette of bold reds and blues, Michael Jackson’s signature colors early in his career. To shed some light on the eclectic juxtaposition that he says defines this collection, Chi elaborates on the design of each pair. “Each story reveals a multi-layered personality,” such as “a full-bodied ankle boot with open multi-zipper detailing paired with a subtle but sexy zip detail peep toe, or a military buttoned platform peep toe with multiple straps paired with a more formal but fashion-forward ballerina.”

As the series is reminiscent of that glamorous [COLOR=blue !important][COLOR=blue !important]disco[/COLOR][/COLOR] era, women who “exude confidence, [COLOR=blue !important][COLOR=blue !important]glamour[/COLOR][/COLOR] and mystique” would surely take a liking to this collection, or perhaps any woman at this day and age would.

There’s just no turning away from those sexy sky-highs, especially a pair that “transcends notions of purpose and conformity”—a pair you could wear with “skinny jeans by day or couture by night.”

Simply put, the defining characteristic of this collection is that of a [COLOR=blue !important][COLOR=blue !important]superstar[/COLOR][/COLOR]—“showmanship, eclecticism and individuality.” Like the great legend that Michael Jackson is, who was never afraid to make or break the rules, the “Stella Luna woman makes her own rules.”

The Stella Luna “Long Live The King” series is available at Adora, Greenbelt 5.

http://www.dailynews.com/news/ci_14435709

20100219__captain_eo.jpg

Michael Jackson's 'Captain Eo' is back

"Captain EO," a 17-minute 1986 3-D musical adventure film starring Michael Jackson, will return to Disneyland beginning Tuesday, park officials announced.

"Captain EO" will be shown in the Tomorrowland theater, where it was shown from 1986-97. It replaces the 3-D film "Honey, I Shrunk The Audience."
A new 70mm print of "Captain EO" will be shown "and it will sound better than ever thanks to acoustic enhancements made to the theater since the film last played there in 1997," Heather Hust Rivera, Disneyland Resort's manager print and social media, wrote on the Disney Parks Blog.
Some special effects elements from the original presentation cannot be replicated, Rivera said. "Captain EO" stars Jackson as a captain leading a spaceship on a mission to deliver a gift to a wicked alien leader (Anjelica Huston). It was directed by Academy Award-winner Francis Ford Coppola. George Lucas was its executive producer.

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lan...anned-from-administering-heavy-sedatives.html

lanowbanner2.jpg

.content-nav a{color:#2262CC;margin:0 3px;}Crime | Government | Medical marijuana | Education | Prop 8 | Traffic | Westside
L.A. NOW

Southern California -- this just in

« Previous Post | L.A. NOW Home | Next Post »
Michael Jackson's doctor banned from administering heavy sedatives

The California Medical Board has issued an order preventing Michael Jackson's doctor from administering heavy sedatives.
Conrad Murray "was placed on restrictions/limitations on his medical practice as follows: restricted from using any anesthetic agent, specifically propofol, nor prescribe it, and not administer any other heavy sedative medications that should generally be administered by any anesthesiologist and may not sedate people personally," the board said in a statement. "This order is to cover the state of California, Texas, Nevada, Hawaii and anywhere else Dr. Murray may be currently licensed in the United States."
Los Angeles prosecutors this month filed involuntary manslaughter charge against Murray, a cardiologist hired to care for Jackson during the pop star's ambitious comeback attempt last year. Murray pleaded not guilty.
Officials allege Murray gave Jackson a lethal dose of the operating-room anesthetic propofol as a sleep aid.
"I don't want you sedating people," Los Angeles County Superior Court Judge Keith L. Schwartz told Murray at the court hearing.
-- Molly Hennessy-Fiske and Shelby Grad

http://www.gear4music.com/news/arti...g-music-workshop-in-Nottingham/14I/2010-02-20

Michael Jackson's guitarist holding music workshop in Nottingham

An electric guitar player who toured with Michael Jackson during the 1980s and 1990s is to hold a music workshop in Nottingham.
Jennifer Batten went on three tours with the King of Pop, who she describes as a "creative tornado", playing to around four and a half million people along the way.
She is now holding a seminar in the east Midlands city today (February 20th 2010) which will include tips on techniques for a new generation of guitar players.
Batten told the Nottingham Evening Post that she took up the instrument after seeing her sister playing it.
"I told my parents that was what I wanted for my next birthday and my dad got me an electric guitar and some lessons," she explained. "I really took to it."
She beat more than 100 people for a role in Jackson's backing band in 1988, making her debut on the Bad world tour.
Michael Jackson's hits from down the years including Beat It, Thriller and Billie Jean.

Michael Jackson HIStory for Feb 20,2010

1998 - Michael Jackson got approval from Polish authorities to build a $500 million 222-acre amusement park in Warsaw.

2003 - FOX aired "Michael Jackson Take 2: The Interview They Wouldn't Show You."

Michael Jackson News for Feb 21,2010:

Another version of Thriller but this time with a person's fingers.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z7ydPBL_iXQ&feature=player_embedded

http://www.sawfnews.com/Gossip/62791.aspx

Jermaine Jackson: Michael Jackson knew his life would be taken
Posted on dimanche 21 février 2010 (EST)
Jermaine Jackson told a radio station in Australia on February 18 that he believes Dr. Conrad Murray did not act alone in causing Michael Jackson's death.

Jermaine_Jackson_18Feb2010.jpg

Jermaine Jackson told a radio station in Australia on February 18 that he believes Dr. Conrad Murray did not act alone in causing Michael Jackson's death. Photo Credit: Video Grab

February 21, 2010, (Sawf News) - Jermaine Jackson told a radio station in Australia on February 18 that he believes Dr. Conrad Murray did not act alone in causing Michael Jackson's death.
"I just feel personally that he did not act alone," he said.
"It's all going to come out," he added.
Jermaine said he knew who was behind Michael's death and he was waiting for it to come out. "I can't say, but I know [who is responsible for Michael's death], as they were always after him and he felt his life was going to be taken" he said.

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/showbi...ays-tribute-to-lost-superstar-86908-22059030/

Exclusive: Michael Jackson's guitarist pays tribute to lost superstar

Feb 21 2010 Billy Sloan, Sunday Mail
GUITAR ace Jennifer Batten yesterday told of her heartache at the loss of her superstar mentor Michael Jackson.
The guitarist was *****'s "right-hand woman" on three sell-out world tours - with the Bad star responsible for creating her famous hair-do.
Now she is to pay an emotional tribute to the King of Pop on her first Scottish concert tour.
In 1987, Jennifer was hand-picked by the singer from 100 guitarists who had auditioned to play on his Bad tour.
***** was so impressed that she joined him on the road for the next 10 years, playing on his Dangerous and HIStory tours to more than 4.5 million fans.
But the New York-born musician still hasn't come to terms with the death of her friend, from a drug overdose last June, aged 50.
"I was in LA when a friend called to say Michael had died," said Jennifer, 52. "I'd heard so many rumours over the years that I didn't believe it, but when I turned on the news I found it was true.
"It was a huge shock. Michael had so much to live for.
"He was so into being a good father to his children. He wanted nothing but the best for other people. I miss him."
Jennifer plays The Inn at Lathones in St Andrews on Friday with other gigs in Glasgow and Strathpeffer over the weekend as part of her first solo tour of Scotland.The highlight of her show will be an emotional 12-minute medley of Michael's songs.
Jennifer, who has also played with Jeff Beck, Brian May of Queen and Natalie Cole, still can't believe ***** plucked her from obscurity to set her on the road to stardom.
"I heard Michael was looking for a guitarist and had organised an open audition." she said.
"I went into a rehearsal room in Hollywood and was surprised to see there was no band, it was just me playing alone. I played Beat It, Billie Jean and Thriller, note perfect. It was videoed and Michael chose me from 100 other guitarists."
A few weeks later, Jennifer came face to face with Michael in a massive production hangar in Los Angeles.
"Michael walked in with his manager Frank Dileo to watch a run-through by the band," said Jennifer.
"I'd been told if he was happy with the music he'd start dancing and he did a few steps right away. Next thing I knew I had a ticket for the opening night of the Bad tour."
For the video of smash hit Another Part Of Me ***** devised a complete image makeover for his new guitarist and Jennifer's distinctive big hair and sci-fi-style costumes were born.
"Michael had an artist draw a new image for me and had a team of wardrobe people make my costumes," she said.
"Two huge extension pieces were sewn into my own hair to add volume. It certainly worked- my hair was almost as big as the guitar I was holding.
was "I didn't have any problem with it because I understood the show was pure theatre and I was playing a role.
big as I was "I'll always be 'the girl in Michael's band with the big hair'. A lot of people only know me for that, and that's no bad thing. It helped me immensely."
show and I a On each ***** tour, Jennifer had to sign a confidentiality deal not to reveal how his stage stunts were done.
Inevitably, there were nights when things went pear-shaped.
"During the routine for Beat It I had to wear fibre optic laser lights in my hair, costume and around my guitar so that I lit up during the song," she said.
"I was attached to a 100ft cable which was linked to a computer so the lights changed colour. As I ran across the stage, somebody stood on my cable, the lights went out and I got whiplash."
Jennifer was disturbed by the child sex abuse allegations which dogged Michael's life and led to a court case in 2005.
He was acquitted on all charges and the guitarist believes he was a victim of his phenomenal success.
"I think Michael was innocent. You get a creepy vibe from people who do things like that, but I didn't with him. Michael was just a big kid," said Jennifer.
"I don't know anybody who could have stayed mentally healthy after all the accusations thrown at him. But people are obsessed with extortion. It gives them power. Once lawyers and the Press get involved the stories run on their own."
Jackson will be in Jennifer's thoughts when she performs in Scotland next week. It's the first time since she's played here since the Dangerous tour at Glasgow Green on August 18, 1992.
Jennifer said: "Playing with Michael for 40,000 fans in Glasgow was a whole new experience. I flew first class and stayed in the best hotels. It was like a fantasy.
"I'm very proud of touring with him.
Just having the name 'Michael Jackson' on my resume helps a lot.
"Sadly, we won't ever see him realise his true potential. He was such a talent, there's no telling what he could have done next."

Michael Jackson HIStory for Feb 21, 2010:

1970 - The Jackson Five performed "I Want You Back" and "ABC" on "American Bandstand." It was the group's TV debut.

1983 - Michael Jackson's album "Thriller" reached #1 for the first of 37 weeks.

1987 - Janet Jackson's single "Let's Wait Awhile" hit #2 in the U.S. making her the first artist to have five Top 10 hits from one album, all in different positions in the top five.

1990 - Janet Jackson's "Rhythm Nation 1814" won Best Music Video, Long Form at the 32nd Annual Grammy Awards.

1990 - Michael Jackson's "Leave Me Alone" won Best Music Video, Short Form at the 32nd Annual Grammy Awards.

2003 - Jack Gordon, LaToya Jackson's former husband, appeared on Connie Chung's show to talk about his new book.

jackson-5-abc-front-300x290.jpg

Last edited:
"Another version of Thriller but this time with a person's fingers"

I love the Thriller Hands vid :wub:

Jennifer Batten always says the "right" thing unlike Sheryl Crow and some others. She is not ashamed of her connection to Michael and she doesn't believe all the tabloids and goes by what she saw and felt about him. He didn't choose her for "This Is It" yet you don't hear her condemn him the way others did when they weren't chosen for projects. There aren't too many like that when it comes to Michael's employees.

In January 2010, soft vinyl toymaker Marusan released a Michael Jackson doll molded to look like the deceased pop god in his "Thriller" outfit. Each goes for a cool ¥5,250 but that's not expensive when you realize that it includes a removable werewolf mask.

CNNGo contributor and resident Japanese toy expert Matt Alt tells us, "The design -- the proportions, the removable mask -- are pure vintage Japanese 'sofubi.' But Marusan is the only company that ever had the insane idea of mashing up this genre of toys with Michael."

Good news is that these toys will not just be resigned to sit on a shelf somewhere collecting value. The Michael Jackson dolls have already made it into the hands of some creative YouTube users who offer silly fan-made videos.

First up is "Michael-kun!" (above) which has young children and their father locating Michael hiding in around Tokyo. Earlier there was also an animated parody of the "Thriller" video using the soft vinyl doll interacting with two-dimensional cartoonish characters.

Hopefully this is just a start. We are confident that YouTube will soon give birth to dozens of Michael Jackson doll productions.

Read more: Michael Jackson doll | CNNGo.com http://www.cnngo.com/tokyo/shop/michael-jackson-resurrected-plastic-form-519433#ixzz0gELmpLt1

Didn't Jermaine an his brothers say on Larry K Latoya spoke to soon and MJ was not murdered now he saying the same thing Latoya said. I am confused here. Someone please help me.

Back